The Student Room Group

Need Serious Help 4 A Level Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wizz_kid
I did particle coz this is the best time to learn abt it especially with the LHC experiment going on at CERN.

Persuade ur classmates to do particle because it is sikkkk.

what do u mean by best time... particle is needed 4 ppl who r persuading a career in nuclear engineering & as i mentioned i am persuing a career in architecturing!!!!!
Reply 21
bluefire
what do u mean by best time... particle is needed 4 ppl who r persuading a career in nuclear engineering & as i mentioned i am persuing a career in architecturing!!!!!

Best time as in u would have a 'deeper understanding' of the LHC experiment rather than just saying, "oh they are colliding particles".

I never referred to u while posting my previous post. Thats y i didnt quote u!
Reply 22
sorry 4 my misunderstanding........
Reply 23
Cartesian_
astrophysics is so easy it is actually bordering on cheating.
You need to knwo a couple of formulae [which they give you] and then just he theory of stars which you can learn in a night.

ASTRO FOR THE WIN

Astro is a win! I hope its 4 me too!!!
It would be great if you could post me notes or related unit 3 astro past papers!! It would really save my time & so spare me time to make astro a win 4 me too! DUDE!!!!
Reply 24
bluefire
85% of my classmates are choosing solid materials, 3% are choosing medical physics, 1% is choosing nuclear & particle physics & the remaining 1% is sticking to astrophysics

Is it just me or does that not add up? :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Draconis
Is it just me or does that not add up? :s-smilie:

Actually it is the percentage of my class so rest of the 10% do not take physics. It is not a % of only physics students!!
Reply 26
bluefire
Actually it is the percentage of my class so rest of the 10% do not take physics. It is not a % of only physics students!!

Ohh, that explains it. :p:
Reply 27
I'm the third person in the last 5 batches in my school to take astrophysics. Most choose medical physics because it's apparently the easiest; if you're studying under Edexcel, the questions repeat and require you to only apply a small bit of theory (mostly involving the real-life applications of radioactivity) to a range of circumstances.

I took astrophysics because I've had a lifelong obsession with astronomy and as overall, it's fairly easy. Granted, there are some conceptual questions where you have to use your head. Most of the equations are provided at the back of the exam booklet, and a substantial amount of the paper involves applying them to simple math. You won't need to read much.

The unit practicals do not test your topics knowledge; you only apply whatever you've learned in units 1&2. No topic is actually easier or harder than the others. The A level is a standardized exam, and Edexcel makes the papers such that difficulty levels are similar - just as long as you've studied for the exam :smile:
Reply 28
Plzzz can anyone tell me the perimeter of a polygon that has unequal sides...
Reply 29
The sum of all the sides? :s-smilie:
Reply 30
sorry i meant polygon has 10 unequal sides. Then what would be the formula used....
Reply 31
I don't think there's a formula.. Just the sum of the sides.. :s-smilie:
Reply 32
ohh...yeah i got it... thanx got a little bit confused.
Reply 33
slakedlime
I'm the third person in the last 5 batches in my school to take astrophysics. Most choose medical physics because it's apparently the easiest; if you're studying under Edexcel, the questions repeat and require you to only apply a small bit of theory (mostly involving the real-life applications of radioactivity) to a range of circumstances.

I took astrophysics because I've had a lifelong obsession with astronomy and as overall, it's fairly easy. Granted, there are some conceptual questions where you have to use your head. Most of the equations are provided at the back of the exam booklet, and a substantial amount of the paper involves applying them to simple math. You won't need to read much.

The unit practicals do not test your topics knowledge; you only apply whatever you've learned in units 1&2. No topic is actually easier or harder than the others. The A level is a standardized exam, and Edexcel makes the papers such that difficulty levels are similar - just as long as you've studied for the exam :smile:

so actually what is the unit 3 practical test group 1 & group 2....are they 2 different papers or the same. If it is the same then y divided....

In some mark schemes it is written 'pre-standardisation' & 'final' so wat is pre-standardisaton??
Med is easy beacause it has real life applications YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE, which is what is so annoying about the other modules but astrophysics is really addictive. I did a Nuffield bursary at UCLAN on collisional ring galaxies and it's fab! Also mostly theory for the equation haters :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest