The Student Room Group

Esterification Calculation

I'm having some trouble with this question i worked out the actual mass of ethyl ethanoate to be 5.76g, but i dont know how to work out the theoretical.

Ethyl ethanoate has a density of 0.9gcm-3 and immiscible with water

6.00g of ethanoic acid and 6.00g of ethanol are refluxed with a few drops of conc. sulfuric acid. After reflux the mixture is distilled.
The distillate is treated with aqueous sodium carbonate solution and the upper organic layer is seperated from the lower aqueous layer.
Anhydrous calcium chloride is then added to the liquid and the pure liquid is decanted off and distilled.
6.4cm3 of ethyl ethanoate are formed.

Calculate the mass of ethyl ethanoate that could theoretically be formed in the reaction.
digchick21
I'm having some trouble with this question i worked out the actual mass of ethyl ethanoate to be 5.76g, but i dont know how to work out the theoretical.

Ethyl ethanoate has a density of 0.9gcm-3 and immiscible with water

6.00g of ethanoic acid and 6.00g of ethanol are refluxed with a few drops of conc. sulfuric acid. After reflux the mixture is distilled.
The distillate is treated with aqueous sodium carbonate solution and the upper organic layer is seperated from the lower aqueous layer.
Anhydrous calcium chloride is then added to the liquid and the pure liquid is decanted off and distilled.
6.4cm3 of ethyl ethanoate are formed.

Calculate the mass of ethyl ethanoate that could theoretically be formed in the reaction.

density info not needed for this part.

Just work out the number of moles of each reactant - decide which is the limiting reagent and use this to calculate the moles of product that could be formed.

Multiply by the RMM of the ester to get the theoretical mass.
Reply 2
thankyou...it seems easy now you've put it like that :smile: i think i was trying to overcomplicate things.
Reply 3
Ive been set the same question, how did you do the first part to this question?
I dont know if im being really stupid/have forgotten things from last year but i cant seem to do it!
ollydabomb
Ive been set the same question, how did you do the first part to this question?
I dont know if im being really stupid/have forgotten things from last year but i cant seem to do it!

Do you mean the bit to calculate the actual mass of the ester?
Reply 5
doesnt matter calculated it now :biggrin: had to use the density.. simplee haha thanks anyway :smile: x

Latest