The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sorry guys, I just checked the timetable and it seems like you've got the EC201 exam tomorrow morning so theres no point giving my notes out (as it will take time to get used to). Also, my notes are hand written, so I'd have to scan each page (there's a bout 50 pages of concise notes of all the topic) and it'll take forever. If there is any particular topic that someone needs help with, I'll see if I can scan it up, but you will need to PM me ASAP and I'll email it to you.

It appears you guys were right, no exam answers were ever available. I do have the quiz answers to last year and my own solutions to them, which aren't perfect (very rarely paid attention in class.)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
SamLowry
Sorry guys, I just checked the timetable and it seems like you've got the EC201 exam tomorrow morning so theres no point giving my notes out (as it will take time to get used to). Also, my notes are hand written, so I'd have to scan each page (there's a bout 50 pages of concise notes of all the topic) and it'll take forever. If there is any particular topic that someone needs help with, I'll see if I can scan it up, but you will need to PM me ASAP and I'll email it to you.

It appears you guys were right, no exam answers were ever available. I do have the quiz answers to last year and my own solutions to them, which aren't perfect (very rarely paid attention in class.)

Thanks for your help anyway. EC201 is not too bad just worried about forgetting simple calculations and stuff that could easily allow me to gain some marks
Reply 62
Do you have last years quizzes shown available?

If so, I can give the actual answers to them as I have them stored on my computer (but not solutions)
Reply 63
Since I'm not gonna be online for much long, I'll post them anyway on the off chance they'll be useful.

Michaelmas Term

Quiz 1: Preferences, Utility Functions and Demand

1) No
2) Yes
3) 3x2/x1
4) x2/4x1
5) 3x2/x1
6) x2/4x1
7) 3x2/x1
8) x2/4x1
9) 3x2/x1
10) a,c,e,g generate the same preferences. b,d and f also generate the same preferences
11) Yes
12) No
13) The budget line did not change
14) min (x1, 10x2)
15) x1 = 10m/(10p1+p2)
x2 = m/(10p1+p2)
16) x1= 3/7m/p1,
x2= 4/7 m/p2

Quiz 2: Utility, Demand and Expenditure Functions

1) x1= u, x2 = 1/10 u
2) E(p1,p2,u) = ( p1 + 0.1p2)u
3) The utility function satisfies the nonsatiation and convexity assumptions.
4) x1= a m/p1,
x2 = b m/p2
5) The utility function satisfies both the nonsatiation and convexity assumptions.
6) x1 = p2/p1 – 1 ,
x2 = (m + p1 – p2)/p2
7) x1 = p2/p1 – 1 ,
x2 = u - ln (p2/p1)
8) E(p1,p2,u) = p2 – p1 + p2u - p2 ln (p2/p1)
9) 2&4
10) 1,2,3
11) 1,2,3,4
12) 1,3,4
13) No Change
14) 3
15) c

Quiz 3

1) 4
2) 5
3) 2
4) 4
5) 3
6) 1
7) 3
8) 1
9) (Irrelevant)
10) 1 & 5
11) 5
12) 1
13) 4
14) 5
15) 1

Quiz 4 (From NEW Class 4 Quiz – on moodle)
1) 2 & 4
2) 4
3) 1
4) 4
5) 6
6) 2 & 4
7) 1 & 3
8) 4 & 5
9) 4
10) 3
11) 4
12) 1
13) 2
14) 2
15) 2

There is no Quiz 5

Quiz 6

1) 4
2) 4
3) 5
4) 1
5) 3
6) 1
7) 2
8) 3
9) 2
10) 5
11) 3
12) 5
13) 2
14) 3
15) 5
16) 2
17) 2
18) 6
19) 4
20) 4
21) 5
22) 4
23)
24) 3

25) 3

26) - 30) Don’t have the answers

31) 1

Quiz 7

1) 2 & 4
2) 1
3) 1
4) 3
5) 5 None of the Above
6) 2
7) 3
8) 5
9) 5
10) 5
11) 3

Quiz 8

1) 3
2) 5
3) 2
4) 5
5) 5
6) 2
7) 5
8) 1
9) 1
10) 2
11) 3
12) 4
13) 4
14) 3
15) 1
16) 3
17) 2
18) 3
19) 3
20) 1

Quiz 9

1) 5
2) 2
3) 1
4) 2
5) 1
6) 4
7) 2
8) 4
9) 3
10) 5
11) 2
12) 3
13) 5
14) 2
15) 5
16) 2
17) 3
18) 1
19) 3

There is no Quiz 10

Lent Term
Quiz 11: Choices under uncertainty

1) c
2) e
3) d
4) c
5) c
6) a
7) b
8) c
9) d
10) c

Quiz 12

1) b & d
2) e
3) a, b & d
4) False
5) False
6) c
7) e
8) a
9) b
10) b
11) a
12) a
13) a
14) d
15) a
16) a

Quiz 13

1) a, e & g
2) a, c & d
3) False
4) False
5) True
6) c
7) c
8) c
9) c
10) d
11) d
12) d
13) a, b & d
14) d
15) b

Quiz 14

1) c
2) b
3) a
4) b
5) a
6) a
7) a
8) c
9) c
10) a
11) c
12) d
13) a, b & d
14) a, b, c & d

Quiz 15

1) b
2) a
3) b
4) d
5) a
6) a
7) b
8) d
9) c
10) e
11) d
12) b, c & d
13) d
14) b, c & d

Quiz 16

1) a & d
2) a & c
3) b
4) c
5) a & b
6) d
7) d
8) a
9) e
10) d
11) f
12) b

Quiz 17
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)

Quiz 18

1) d
2) a
3) e
4) e
5) a & f
6) e
7) b
8) b
9) f
10) f
11) a
12) c
13) e
SamLowry
Do you have last years quizzes shown available?

If so, I can give the actual answers to them as I have them stored on my computer (but not solutions)

Thanks. I did have some of the solutions though and probably be also helpful for people who are doing the course next year
Reply 65
SamLowry
Have you guys had your ec201 exams? If you have I'm sorry for being late with this. But if not I'll see if i can dig out some answers from somewhere and maybe even some notes (they should be okay, I managed to get a 2:1)

On another note FM300 exam was probably the worst exam I've taken at LSE. Can't believer it was so bad, but at least that weight is off my mind, I can rest up before my June Exams.

how did you find fm300? i thought that the first section was fair, but the second section i was like WTF JACK!!! you A-HOLE! i ended up doing question 1 and some of 2 for sectionB!
Reply 66
Bleached
how did you find fm300? i thought that the first section was fair, but the second section i was like WTF JACK!!! you A-HOLE! i ended up doing question 1 and some of 2 for sectionB!

I think its not as bad as FM320... I actually found section B ok but not section A.... I did question 1 and 3 for both sections and I think question 3 in section B is actually not that bad if you take the time to read it properly!
Reply 67
Eurgh, stats tomorrow - last exam, but the one I'm probably least prepared for thus far. Major cramming must take place today.
Reply 68
stjohnsboy
I think its not as bad as FM320... I actually found section B ok but not section A.... I did question 1 and 3 for both sections and I think question 3 in section B is actually not that bad if you take the time to read it properly!

yeah the reading immediately scared me off, and with those types of questions it just put me off because although the math is hard, its just using the logic to apply the math that is hard for me!
Chrisateen
Thanks for your help anyway. EC201 is not too bad just worried about forgetting simple calculations and stuff that could easily allow me to gain some marks

How did you find EC201 today?

I thought it was out of order for her to give a Betrand-Nash/Stackelberg question considering there's only like 4 slides combined on them and there were never any homework questions on it. Especially as the alternative would be straightforward game theory.

Otherwise it was fine, I thought. Show that uncomp demand is ... draw an Edgeworth box...

Of course it's hard to tell how much to write because no mark schemes. The section B externality question (Appease and Beneficiary) seemed too straightforward.

And also LOL @ not proofreading the last question!!!
Reply 70
Sports Racer

I thought it was out of order for her to give a Betrand-Nash/Stackelberg question considering there's only like 4 slides combined on them and there were never any homework questions on it. Especially as the alternative would be straightforward game theory.

You should've checked the ec202 notes, that topic is very straightforward once you practice a few questions yourself.
astudent
You should've checked the ec202 notes, that topic is very straightforward once you practice a few questions yourself.

Now that you've said it I don't know why I didn't consider looking up EC202 notes...

I think I could have done the question. Just a bit of subbing back and forth? Obviously not going to do experiments in the exam.
Sports Racer

Otherwise it was fine, I thought. Show that uncomp demand is ... draw an Edgeworth box...

Of course it's hard to tell how much to write because no mark schemes. The section B externality question (Appease and Beneficiary) seemed too straightforward.

And also LOL @ not proofreading the last question!!!

Not sure what to say about it. A lot of the section A stuff I didn't do well on it as I couldn't remember the proper definitions of stuff. Depending on the mrk scheme I am a bit worried :frown:

I agree on the game theory stuff. In nearly all the past papers we get a game theory table and the maths are so simple. This year it was totally different
Reply 73
Bleached
yeah the reading immediately scared me off, and with those types of questions it just put me off because although the math is hard, its just using the logic to apply the math that is hard for me!

I am sure you will be fine =)
Reply 74
The EC202 Paper this year was the easiest one I've ever seen. I still managed to mess it up though :rolleyes:
Reply 75
trickz
The EC202 Paper this year was the easiest one I've ever seen. I still managed to mess it up though :rolleyes:

Which questions did you do? I thought sections B and C were alright but A was a bit unusual.
Reply 76
astudent
Which questions did you do? I thought sections B and C were alright but A was a bit unusual.

I thought section A was much nicer than usual. For section B, I did the production function and the exchange economy one and for section C I did the cornout model one...
Reply 77
Bleached

Perhaps one of the worst papers I've sat in my entire time at LSE. Section A was okay, it's just I wasn't prepared for what came up. Pretty much everything I revised for didn't come up.

Section B was a bit ridiculous. I think I ended up doing 1 and 2 as well. Managed to reclaim some marks with the second question, but if we are going on raw marks, I have definitely failed. Apparently, Verardo (MT lecturer) has said that if the scores are too low, they will be scaled up, so there is hope yet.
Reply 78
SamLowry
Perhaps one of the worst papers I've sat in my entire time at LSE. Section A was okay, it's just I wasn't prepared for what came up. Pretty much everything I revised for didn't come up.

Section B was a bit ridiculous. I think I ended up doing 1 and 2 as well. Managed to reclaim some marks with the second question, but if we are going on raw marks, I have definitely failed. Apparently, Verardo (MT lecturer) has said that if the scores are too low, they will be scaled up, so there is hope yet.

Source? i think i got about 55-60 raw marks tbh. i dont think they will scale it, i think they will take it all and then apply some normal distribution to it all. how did your friends find it?
Reply 79
Bleached
Source? i think i got about 55-60 raw marks tbh. i dont think they will scale it, i think they will take it all and then apply some normal distribution to it all. how did your friends find it?

Genius! LOL. jealous...

My friends all (bar none) agreed with me. They found it ridiculously tough - and this wasn't the fake LSE version of "oh it was soo hard" when they all coped with it. I could tell everyone was being genuine. It has effectively ruined one of my friends slim chance of a first. Personally, I'm stil on track for one, as I was not relying on FM300 to give me a first. My only concern was not failing I ballsed that up.

Regarding my source, let's just say i hear it through the grapevine. The lack of credibility is why I said "apparently"

Quick Reply