The Student Room Group

OCR Latin A2 Verse Exam, 14th June

So...

How did everyone find it?

I found the first part of the language hard but the rest ok. I liked the Aeneid questions.

Scroll to see replies

Ilyusha

I found the first part of the language hard but the rest ok. I liked the Aeneid questions.

Same! Aeneid questions were brilliant! But I made loaooods of mistakes on the unseen. However, my teacher checked my scansion, and I got it right YAY!

Hope everyone's feeling good! :woo:
lookingoutofthewindow
Same! Aeneid questions were brilliant! But I made loaooods of mistakes on the unseen. However, my teacher checked my scansion, and I got it right YAY!

Hope everyone's feeling good! :woo:

What was going on with the scansion - it seemed to have just too many syllables (like 9) in the second part of the pentameter!
Reply 3
Same i made so many mistakes... reading the translation is so depressing. they're really stupid ones too, like reading "regna" as "regina". :frown:
Ilyusha
Same i made so many mistakes... reading the translation is so depressing. they're really stupid ones too, like reading "regna" as "regina". :frown:

I did that too! :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Anyone else do the Catullus? What strange questions, that was more like English than Latin? What were they expecting us to do, critique Catullus' works? And 63 didn't show up, I was bitterly disappointed.

Thought the unseen was OK - looked up the translation and I made a bit of a muddle of it, oops. :P But the comprehension wasn't too bad.

What did everyone get on the scansion? I came up with:

'arbiter es formae; certamina siste dearum,

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

vincere quae forma digna sit una duas.'

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

Think my hexameter was wrong, probably shouldn't have a foot spanning over a semi-colon, eh? :P Any enlightenment on that one? :biggrin:
vincere quae forma digna sit una duas
I think it's dactyl, spondee, random syllable, caesura, dactyl, dactyl, anceps.
Reply 7
Ilyusha

Ditto. At least your mythology didn't fail you though - I thought Venus was Jupiter's wife, and wrote it in just to make sure they realised that's what I thought. Muppet award to me, methinks... :biggrin:
maddiemooey
Anyone else do the Catullus? What strange questions, that was more like English than Latin? What were they expecting us to do, critique Catullus' works? And 63 didn't show up, I was bitterly disappointed.

Thought the unseen was OK - looked up the translation and I made a bit of a muddle of it, oops. :P But the comprehension wasn't too bad.

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

Think my hexameter was wrong, probably shouldn't have a foot spanning over a semi-colon, eh? :P Any enlightenment on that one? :biggrin:

Oh my god have I scanned the wrong ******* lines ...
Reply 9
placenta medicae talpae

Don't panic, it was only 4 marks and they may give you some credit if you've done it correctly. :smile:
placenta medicae talpae

OH NO!
Have you seriously?!?!
surely they'd award you at least one mark if you got the two lines you did do right?
maddiemooey
Don't panic, it was only 4 marks and they may give you some credit if you've done it correctly. :smile:

The one which you have as pentameter there was my hexameter though! :biggrin:

Oh my god, I came out of that exam utterly brimming with like ueber confidence, and now I feel almost as dunce as ...

OH MY GOD I'M SUFFENUS :frown:
Reply 12
maddiemooey
Ditto. At least your mythology didn't fail you though - I thought Venus was Jupiter's wife, and wrote it in just to make sure they realised that's what I thought. Muppet award to me, methinks... :biggrin:

They might still give you the mark seeing as it was clear that you thought that, and that it wasn't just you mistranslating?

I failed the Ovid I think!
Reply 13
maddiemooey

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

I think I got the same! There's nothing wrong with a foot spanning a semi colon i don't think, i'm pretty sure there are some examples in virgil, isn't that a caesura/diaeresis? (can never remember which one is which :biggrin: )
Reply 14
Ilyusha
I think I got the same! There's nothing wrong with a foot spanning a semi colon i don't think, i'm pretty sure there are some examples in virgil, isn't that a caesura/diaeresis? (can never remember which one is which :biggrin: )

That's what I got too, didn't even consider the semicolon being a problem haha. I hope it's right!
Oh.... i got -^^/--/-^^/--/-^^/-x for the first line....
Reply 16
classicfish
Oh.... i got -^^/--/-^^/--/-^^/-x for the first line....

Doesn't the 'e' of certamine have to be long, though?
ohmygoshxo
Doesn't the 'e' of certamine have to be long, though?

No, the final e of a noun like that is always short.
it was certamina, which is neuter plural, so it's short.
Reply 19
lookingoutofthewindow
No, the final e of a noun like that is always short.

Sorry I meant the first 'e' - because it is before 'rt' ... ?

Quick Reply

Latest