The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Help. PLEASE?
Reply 2
Always look them in the eye, ask questions to show your keen, dress smartly but not over the top.
Don't look nervous and just go with the flow and when they ask you questions give them your best answer.
Reply 3
I heard that you have to introduce the person next to you, and then choreograph and perform a christmas advert, can you come back and say what it was like. Good luck
Reply 4
It is unlikely you'll be invited for a 1 on 1 interview, Argos like to do group interviews. They are fairly informal (but I would recommend dressing smart-ish to make a good impression). There will be a "team building" activity - I had to make a tower from marshmallows & spaghetti in a small group! You'll also probably have to introduce your neighbour as Jimboslice said. Basically they are looking for someone who interacts well with others.
Reply 5
Dan-Scotland
I have an Interview for a Christmas Temp position at Argos tomorrow, what preparation do I need to undertake? I have never had a job before and this is only my second job interview, I want to improve on my technique from my last interview, any suggestions, specific to Argos or just general tips?

They give you a catalogue and you choose which questions you want. Just have to pay for it.... Easy ....
Reply 6
Group interviews are fun! You forget you're being watched after a while, as long as you immerse yourself in the activities you're doing with your group. Maybe read up some basics about the company and perhaps also prepare some answers for 'how would you define good customer service?' and 'why did you apply to Argos?'. You might have to sell a product (I know Debenhams do this in their Xmas temp interviews) but I've never been to an Argos interview so I'm not sure! Like others have said, they are looking for someone who interacts well with the group, so make eye contact, make contributions but don't dominate everything! Good luck and have fun - I find group interviews much less stressful than individual interviews!
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies, it was a one on one interview, and I have a group interview in about two hours, any other help with that?
Reply 8
had a group interview for a christmas temp job at Argos last year, there was only 4 of us there. a brief rundown of what happened...

partnered up and had to write things down about the other person like name, music tastes, Girlfriends (i was the only one there without one :frown: ), and then read them out.

We were split into 2 groups of 2 and given an argos catalogue, we had to cut out several pictures and stick them down that we would buy for a bedroom, then explain why you chose them.

we were then given a tour of the back working area (its huge by the way).

Last of all, we were asked several "interview" questions, the only two i really remmember were "Give an example or previous bad customer service" and "what does good customer service mean to you"?

hope that helps, also, wear smart clothing
Reply 9
What do you mean by 'smart' clothing.
How did u guys apply for Argos? Pop in with a CV and Covering letter?
Reply 11
Tom Wigan
What do you mean by 'smart' clothing.

usual shirt and tie deal, 2 of them there didnt have them
Reply 12
Argos do group interviews? :s

When I had mine (in 2006) I went in a hoody, jeans and trainers and had a 1on1 interview with a woman who just asked me a bit about myself and if I would be ok with doing the hours, and some general questions about teamwork or w/e. Was offered the role a couple days later.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sotonian
usual shirt and tie deal, 2 of them there didnt have them

So a shirt and tie? I just don't want to look like a pillock if everyone else is wearing casual stuff.
I just had one of these! Too late for the OP but this might be useful if others have interviews to come...

Basically there were 12 of us there (roughly half guys, half girls). All guys but one wore shirt and trousers, the other was smart casual (shirt with jeans). Some wore ties. None wore suit jackets but most had a vaguely smart looking coat. Girls tended to wear "smart casual" I think - fairly businesslike but no suits!

Overall lasted an hour and a half. Consisted of:
- Watching a half hour video on customer service - featured employees telling stories about how they have gone out of their way to make customer happy, secretly filmed mystery shop videos of good service etc.
- Talking to the person sitting next to us for 10 minutes then introducing them to the group.
- A slightly insulting test where we were given 10 pairs of catalogue numbers and had to put a tick or cross next to each pair to say if they were the same, and then had to put 10 catalogue numbers in numeric order. (To make sure you are able to go into the stock room and pull out the thing the customer actually asked for, obviously...)
- Working in groups of 4 to design a "customer service superhero". To see how we work in a group, and possibly also to see how much of the customer service stuff in the video at the start actually sank in!
- They also took photos of us at the end "to help put names to faces afterwards". Maybe if they have trouble deciding they will just pick the good looking people (that's me out...)

No individual interview, they will just let us know by the end of the week. Pay is minimum wage, contracts are for either 10hrs/week split across 5 days, or 7 hours at the weekend. Contracts begin next Monday (18th Oct) and end on Christmas eve for some, or the end of January for the rest. Obviously this all varies by store - mine was a small-ish one on a suburban high street a few miles out of Birmingham centre.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
thefish_uk
I just had one of these! Too late for the OP but this might be useful if others have interviews to come...

Basically there were 12 of us there (roughly half guys, half girls). All guys but one wore shirt and trousers, the other was smart casual (shirt with jeans). Some wore ties. None wore suit jackets but most had a vaguely smart looking coat. Girls tended to wear "smart casual" I think - fairly businesslike but no suits!

Overall lasted an hour and a half. Consisted of:
- Watching a half hour video on customer service - featured employees telling stories about how they have gone out of their way to make customer happy, secretly filmed mystery shop videos of good service etc.
- Talking to the person sitting next to us for 10 minutes then introducing them to the group.
- A slightly insulting test where we were given 10 pairs of catalogue numbers and had to put a tick or cross next to each pair to say if they were the same, and then had to put 10 catalogue numbers in numeric order. (To make sure you are able to go into the stock room and pull out the thing the customer actually asked for, obviously...)
- Working in groups of 4 to design a "customer service superhero". To see how we work in a group, and possibly also to see how much of the customer service stuff in the video at the start actually sank in!
- They also took photos of us at the end "to help put names to faces afterwards". Maybe if they have trouble deciding they will just pick the good looking people (that's me out...)

No individual interview, they will just let us know by the end of the week. Pay is minimum wage, contracts are for either 10hrs/week split across 5 days, or 7 hours at the weekend. Contracts begin next Monday (18th Oct) and end on Christmas eve for some, or the end of January for the rest. Obviously this all varies by store - mine was a small-ish one on a suburban high street a few miles out of Birmingham centre.

this is pretty much what I had last week. I got the job fairly easily just a few things to remember; dress smart (shirt, trousers and smart shoes is what the staff who work there where you don't need to wear anything more formal than this), be confident when speaking towards the assessors and other applicants (eye contact), make sure the assessors see you talking with other applicants (shows you can get on with people), DO NOT at any point say you have been struggling to find work or you need a job (at least 4 people did this in my group and i'm pretty sure none of them got a job). So basicly just look presentable, join in with all tasks and be confident.

And I can't remember how many hours you have to do per week or weekend but the rate of pay i'll be getting is £5.30 not bad for a 16 year old.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
i Just had this interview aswell ... didnt watch any videos jus done the superman thing and made a short story... got the job ... pay is £6.23 per hour then get payed normal pay plus half if work on sundays :smile: i start on the 1st november..
Ffffff...group interview? I only had my first interview this afternoon, and then I got a call from Argos saying they'd like a 1-to-1 soon. Now I'm reading it could lead on to a group interview? My stomach is gonna feel bad all week :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)