The Student Room Group

Putting money into someone else's bank account

It's a silly question, but I need to be sure

I owe my brother some money and I need to put the money in his account and I've already got his bank details. He's with NatWest and I'm with Lloyds TSB. Can I just go into my local Lloyds branch nearby and fill in the slip? Or do I have to travel and go to a NatWest Branch and fill in the slip?
id say try telephone banking or online banking... then you dont have to go anywhere :biggrin:
(im tempted to say you have to go to natwest but i wrote that then went ahhh im not so sure any more :frown: lol know you used to have to... but now you can do amazing things like pay cheques into cash points!! (my new favourite thing to do :biggrin: it puts a little print out on n everything!!!) this was a pretty useless reply sorry :frown: )
x
Reply 2
Original post by JamesLanek

I owe my brother some money and I need to put the money in his account and I've already got his bank details. He's with NatWest and I'm with Lloyds TSB. Can I just go into my local Lloyds branch nearby and fill in the slip? Or do I have to travel and go to a NatWest Branch and fill in the slip?

im pretty sure you will have to go to natwest
Ring them up and find out so you aren't making pointless trips :smile:
Reply 4
Either go to Natwest and fill out a paying in slip with your brothers details and pay in the money as cash or a cheque or if you have internet banking you can just do it from there.
Reply 5
Original post by Sazzle4

Original post by Sazzle4
Either go to Natwest and fill out a paying in slip with your brothers details and pay in the money as cash or a cheque or if you have internet banking you can just do it from there.

This.

I can't believe some of the responses above lol.

You can only deposit money from a branch of the bank where the account is held at. You just need sort-code, account number & name.
Easiest to do it online
Reply 7
I'm guessing you have to go to Natwest as that's where his account is held. not tsb
You can do it at either.

If you pay it in at his bank, you'll need a cheque or cash and a paying in slip.
If you do it at your bank you should be able to ask them to make a free BACs transfer over the counter which is the same system as with internet banking
Reply 9

How are you planning to pay him? Cash or by transfer? For cash you will need to go to his bank; natwest, and to transfer the money from his account to yours without withdrawing the cash you need to go to your own bank.
Just do BACS transfer over phone, much easier.
You can do it at Lloyds. However this would be a transfer and there may be a fee (Natwest charge £20 to do a transfer in-branch, not sure what if anything Lloyds charge).

Can you not do it online?
Original post by jacketpotato
You can do it at Lloyds. However this would be a transfer and there may be a fee (Natwest charge £20 to do a transfer in-branch, not sure what if anything Lloyds charge).

Erm what? I've done transfers to various accounts and never paid :/

Try inbranch. Could you not write a cheque?
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
id say try telephone banking or online banking... then you dont have to go anywhere :biggrin:
(im tempted to say you have to go to natwest but i wrote that then went ahhh im not so sure any more :frown: lol know you used to have to... but now you can do amazing things like pay cheques into cash points!! (my new favourite thing to do :biggrin: it puts a little print out on n everything!!!) this was a pretty useless reply sorry :frown: )
x

woah how? go through the step by step
Original post by lilangel890
Erm what? I've done transfers to various accounts and never paid :/

Try inbranch. Could you not write a cheque?

Nope, this was in branch. Maybe it was just Natwest.
Original post by Phillipsherman
woah how? go through the step by step

welll... tis only the ones in branch so doesnt really make a huge amount of difference... but its fun :biggrin: get a print out of cheque on receipt :biggrin: x
Original post by jacketpotato
Nope, this was in branch. Maybe it was just Natwest.

I'm with Natwest. How odd :/

Quick Reply

Latest