The Student Room Group

Christmas Casual for the Royal Mail

I recently received a leaflet about this in the post, and was wondering if anybody here has ever taken this position?

Basically, it's a temporary job at the sorting office for the royal mail during the Christmas period when they are extremely busy.

I was curious as to the working environment and the pay you get with this position because I was thinking of applying just to earn some extra cash over the Christmas holidays.

Any information would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=16000165&mediaId=21600382
--------------
Sounds absolutely mind-numblingly boring though...
Reply 2
I aplied, and I have a thing to go to on wednesday
I applied a few years ago and passed the assessments...then decided not to take the jobs because of the hours I was offered. The money isn't bad for an Xmas temp job though....
aaahhh there are no vacancies in London!! i need a joooooooooooooooooob
I've applied and they'll contact me 5 to 10 working days after the closing date, apparently.

Would you prefer to work 9:30 PM to 5:30 AM or 6:00 AM to 1:30 PM? I wouldn't mind either, but my mother's being a pain about the night shift. If it's only over the Christmas holidays, I don't mind!
Reply 6
Got some info on working as a temp for Royal Mail at christmas.
They have just put up alot of details for jobs today.

If you call 08702431902, its their recruitment people. I held on the line for ages, and there's a message that keeps telling you to try their website.

Well anyway they take your postcode and see if there are any sorting offices near you that are recruiting. The one near me, in Hounslow, West London is lookin for 300 or so temps!!! :eek: Variety of shifts, £5.80 an hour, full time and part time.

They ask a few questions, age, NI number, D.O.B. etc, address, and apparently they'll send a letter with a day and time you need to go and register your shifts/hours. Not sure if this means you have the job or not?

Anyway good luck all

Ronnie
How much is the pay rate? Per hour, I mean. I think for seventeen year olds it's about £180 a week.

Is that £5.80 the overall rate?
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure its £5.80 an hour if you're over 18. Not too sure what it is below 18. I think Royal Mail have a basic weekly rate like you said and they pay you every week so long as you fulfill your weekly hours.
lostinfantasies
I've applied and they'll contact me 5 to 10 working days after the closing date, apparently.

Would you prefer to work 9:30 PM to 5:30 AM or 6:00 AM to 1:30 PM? I wouldn't mind either, but my mother's being a pain about the night shift. If it's only over the Christmas holidays, I don't mind!

if i were u i wud do the 9.30 shift, but then again the other allows u 2 get the work out the way and then u can do whatever else u wanna do. BUT how wud u get to work? coz buses dont start that early do they??
Well, I can get to work in the evenings for 9:30 and in the mornings, I can walk home or something. But there's a bus at 06:03 that I can get.
Hi,

I have received the letter. It says to go 4th of November to register and I can start working, and choose my shift... They say the same on yours? I would love to work at night... They pay you weekly? Anyone knows??
I get my letter 5 - 10 days after December 1, apparently. I'll check again.

Yeah, it should be weekly :smile:.
You should go for it! :cool: Christmas casual positions are great, the money is fab, experience is succint, plus it's short and sweet so that means you can get back to uni/college work as soon as possible.

Of course for me it means a big nice long break afterwars, but that's another story. :biggrin:
I've applied to Woolworths so I'd most likely get a job there first, considering the timeline for the Royal Mail (won't find out until after December 1). But I've already worked for Woolworths so I'd prefer to work at the RM just for the different experience!
Reply 15
Unfortunatley :frown: , I didn't get the temp position at the royal mail.

When I attended the registration day after recieving the letter and forms I was told that because I was under 18 (17) I would not be allowed the position since heavy machinery is used and they are only insured for people over 18.

I was really disappointed, but really angry that they sent me a letter in the first place and bascially wasted my time. Also, I really NEED A JOB.

They did componsate me for "travel expenses" though, :biggrin:
Reply 16
Juno
I aplied, and I have a thing to go to on wednesday

hi where did you apply for these jobs? i go on website and it says "no vacancies match your search"
Reply 17
debbie2719
hi where did you apply for these jobs? i go on website and it says "no vacancies match your search"
I went on the website! There might not be any in your area then, as there aren't any near Mark.
Reply 18
working at royal mail seriously sucks ass. anyone with half a brain will go mental within a day. fact.
Even though on their website they have the weekly basic pay rate for 16 and 17 year olds, they won't employ us?!

Latest