The Student Room Group

FCO undergrad internships....

I was thinking about applying for this for next summer; has anyone completed it/applied for it/know what it's like?
It's only two weeks, which makes me hesitatnt, but it IS the foreign office and I do love the idea of working there, or at least seeing what it'd be like to work there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The FCO run a variety of different schemes - most of which last in length from 2-6 weeks but can be as long as a year on the Economic Sandwich Students Placement Scheme.
Original post by tabsybelle
I was thinking about applying for this for next summer; has anyone completed it/applied for it/know what it's like?
It's only two weeks, which makes me hesitatnt, but it IS the foreign office and I do love the idea of working there, or at least seeing what it'd be like to work there

I applied, it says it is just for females. :smile:
Reply 3
*bump*

Hey, I'm applying for this as well, we can't be the only two around, surely?!
Reply 4
I applied too! Don't know when we find out...Good luck to you guys :smile: x
Reply 5
Does the FCO just have a pathological aversion to middle-class white males?
Didn't get, ah well.
Reply 7
What website did you check it on?
Original post by ClaffClaff
What website did you check it on?

tryna find another paid summer internship :redface:
Reply 9
Nevermind. Better luck with the others! I've still not heard anything ; /
Reply 10
I haven't heard anything either... they've got until May 5th, I suppose :/
unsure if i can write carbon copy response here, pm me if anyone want to see it..

btw does any know any other paid internships for this summer onwards? maybe for ethnic minorities from lower backgrounds?

thanks

x
Reply 12
Did you guys apply to the Civil Service Fast Stream internship or directly to the FCO?
Reply 13
Original post by Don John
Does the FCO just have a pathological aversion to middle-class white males?

Second this. Especially with the other civil service internship for which only "ethnic minorities" are eligible. I couldn't actually believe it when I read it.

Does anyone in the civil service know if this policy recurs in the actual recruitment process, or is it just a way of encouraging more "minorities" to apply for the civil service (which is what I guess/hope)
Political correctness at its best.Don't worry about it tho,when it comes to the real jobs all the spots are reserved for white people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Didn't get it, unfortunately. Don't quite know what was wrong with my application, but good luck for the rest!
Reply 17
Original post by Leipzig
Didn't get it, unfortunately. Don't quite know what was wrong with my application, but good luck for the rest!

I didn't either... However, I applied last year (not realising at the time it was for penultimate year students only) and not only got through to the online test but was offered a place! I couldn't accept it but I used pretty much the same application this year (the questions were slightly different so I changed what I needed to) and got rejected before the test.

With all of these programmes there is a certain element of luck in it and I think they're taking a smaller cohort this year. Don't feel too disappointed! :smile:
Reply 18
I didn't get through to the online tests either :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by *mMmMm*
Can someone tell me... Is THIS for real???

Wtf is a GSCE...
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/working-for-us/careers/generalist
I have experience in the civil service and contacts working in different departments and I've personally never heard of such low requirements, for quite reasonable pay... Maybe a few decades ago but now mostly a University degree is needed. If this is for real, then I wonder how easy it is to get in:

A degree to be an AA? Are you kidding? :s-smilie: that is the bottom rung of the ladder your realise...?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending