The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jacke02
Yes! I'd recommend them to anybody on here... although they don't put them in the right format for Ipods so I can't really get through many of them.

Yeah I find Robb Willer to be the easiest listener. Have you tried the general psych ones from Berkeley? The guy's voice makes me fall asleep :P

Really? You can download straight onto the iPod from the iTunes app or download from their website in straight .mp3 format
Reply 41
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yeah I find Robb Willer to be the easiest listener. Have you tried the general psych ones from Berkeley? The guy's voice makes me fall asleep :P

Really? You can download straight onto the iPod from the iTunes app or download from their website in straight .mp3 format

Yep, i can't really watch many on the computer, i like listening to them at breakfast and on the way to school and such, as it takes up 0 time and you can get through loaads. And the UC berkely ones can be downloaded through ItunesU to go on ur Ipod, apart from the video format doesn't work for my ipod nano (although it has disappeared recently anyway :s-smilie:). Yale ones can go right on your ipod though :smile:

Oh and if anyone wants to ask me any Qs i applied to: Cambridge (PPS), York, UCL, Sheffield, and Birmingham and got offers for all apart from UCL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Thomas...
Why did you apply to teeside when you obviously were good enough for Durham/York etc.
I'm just curious I'm a 2011 applicant for Law to Exeter, I'm just doing a bit of stalking :smile:

Because just because you're predicted straight A's doesn't mean that you're definitely going to be accepted by Universities that want straight A's so I thought it would be good to have a bit of a back-up option as my other Universities wanted AAA, AAA, AAB, and AAB. :smile: It was just a precaution. And also although as a whole Teeside isn't an amazing University it's pretty highly ranked for psychology. You have to look at where they are for your subject not just where they are overall! :smile:

Having said that once I got into Durham and York they're the Universities that I've put down. :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by xChelseyChelsey
Because just because you're predicted straight A's doesn't mean that you're definitely going to be accepted by Universities that want straight A's so I thought it would be good to have a bit of a back-up option as my other Universities wanted AAA, AAA, AAB, and AAB. :smile: It was just a precaution. And also although as a whole Teeside isn't an amazing University it's pretty highly ranked for psychology. You have to look at where they are for your subject not just where they are overall! :smile:

Having said that once I got into Durham and York they're the Universities that I've put down. :biggrin:

Ah ok cool, thanks for the reply :smile: good luck with Durham!
Reply 44
Just out of curiosity, what are you all planning to do after you've finished your Psychology degree? :smile:.
Original post by ChaiTea
Just out of curiosity, what are you all planning to do after you've finished your Psychology degree? :smile:.

Either go get a job and start living the adult life,

or...

Go to postgraduate studies... I half want to continue on the psych/clin psych road, and half want to switch to law... It really depends which university I end up going to actually. :P

I also might go back to Canada after and do things there, but to me that seems the least fun ideal option. :wink:

What about you other prospectives?
Reply 46
hopefully going to apply for human biology & psychology courses at: reading, northampton and oxford brookes, and psych with neuroscience at sussex, and psych and cognitive neuroscience at nottingham.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've just finished my first year of Psychology at Bath, so if anyone has any general Psych w's or q's about bath feel free to ask away, but quote if you want a reply! :smile:
Original post by Flippin-Mad
I've just finished my first year of Psychology at Bath, so if anyone has any general Psych w's or q's about bath feel free to ask away, but quote if you want a reply! :smile:

Are you doing the 4-yr degree with placement?
Original post by punctuation
Are you doing the 4-yr degree with placement?

Yeah, at Bath (University of, not Spa) you don't have the option to do a 3-yr Psych degree without a placement, if you do Psych you have to do the 4-yr sandwich. But placements are in the 3rd year so I haven't done mine yet, but will be applying for them in September :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by ChaiTea

Original post by ChaiTea

Masters in Neuroscience (basically, I wanted to go into Neuroscience at the beginning of this year but I never took Biology so I've not had the chance. Psychology is my alternative route, but I still enjoy it a lot seeing as I originally wanted to be a ClinPsych.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by El_Sid
Masters in Neuroscience (basically, I wanted to go into Neuroscience at the beginning of this year but I never took Biology so I've not had the chance. Psychology is my alternative route, but I still enjoy it a lot seeing as I originally wanted to be a ClinPsych.)

For some courses you don't need biology! Edinburgh where my friend's going only ask for either bio or chem (I think), since you learn everything again in the first year it doesn't matter as you can catch up. I'm thinking about doing a masters in neuroscience (or/with research methods )too! Don't really fancy being an psych A Level teacher so im going to have to think about doing something post-grad.

FYI, at edinburgh they ask

GCE A Levels: AAA - ABB required in one sitting, to include two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. GCSE Mathematics at Grade B and either Biology and Chemistry or Science and an additional science at Grade B. (http://goo.gl/GTjQX)

So basically sciences, even though physics wouldn't be useful at all and psychology would at a level :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Flippin-Mad
Yeah, at Bath (University of, not Spa) you don't have the option to do a 3-yr Psych degree without a placement, if you do Psych you have to do the 4-yr sandwich. But placements are in the 3rd year so I haven't done mine yet, but will be applying for them in September :smile:

Ah... sounds exciting!
(edited 12 years ago)
Any updates, interesting news... psychology applicants? :wink:
Reply 54
Original post by madders94
Does anyone know if it's true that the Psychology courses at Bangor and Aber are very maths-y? My psychology teacher says they are, and my college is pretty much slap bang in the middle between the two so they're the only psychology courses I'm considering. The thought of too much maths puts me off :frown:

I went to Bangor for my first year. You will have to do weekly MCQ stats tests for year 1 and 2 (they might have changed it to weekly homework now) which aren't difficult. The hardest thing you will learn in the first year for stats is multiple regression (which isn't actually difficult). You'll be fine unless if you're maths-phobic. If you really hate stats and can't do it then psychology is not the degree for you.

Sorry for the late reply.
I'm a psychology 2012 applicantttt,
I'm considering,
Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester, Lancaster, Oxford, Lancaster and Nottingham, I really need to narrow the list down D:
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
I'm considering,
Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester, Lancaster, Oxford, Lancaster and Nottingham, I really need to narrow the list down D:

Are you considering the experimental or philosophy degree at Oxford? :biggrin: For me I'll be applying for psychology & philosophy. Ooh, and which college?!

Why aren't you applying to UCL, if I may ask?

Oh, and if you're definitely considering to apply to Oxford, there's a specific Oxford thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1573912

:smile: I'm excited because there are only two psychology applicants including me on the Oxford spreadsheet... haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Are you considering the experimental or philosophy degree at Oxford? :biggrin: For me I'll be applying for psychology & philosophy. Ooh, and which college?!

Why aren't you applying to UCL, if I may ask?

Oh, and if you're definitely considering to apply to Oxford, there's a specific Oxford thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1573912

:smile: I'm excited because there are only two psychology applicants including me on the Oxford spreadsheet... haha.

hehe, as silly as this is I dont want to go to London, it's too expensive for me to live there D:
and Experimental hopefully! I'm unsure though, I feel like I'm not clever enough :P
I'm looking at Sussex, RHUL, Bristol, Birmingham, Leicester and Sheffield.

Does anyone know if any of these have a particular focus on developmental psych or are they all pretty much even because of BPS guidelines?
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
I'm considering,

Cut down lancaster and birmingham in my opinion. Birmingham is a good uni but i didn't like the place much :P

Quick Reply

Latest