Alright then :tongue:

thanks :biggrin: I'm only small won't take up much room on the bus:smile:
Reply 141
Original post by JessBess
2 More? :smile:

You'll have to get in the boot. :tongue:
Reply 142
I'm ready to send my UCAS form off, and I 99% sure I'm applying here. :P

I was looking at the list of things they want you to put in a personal statement, and the only thing I think I might be missing is "In addition to work experience, you should also have some factual knowledge about potential careers...". I've described what I think being a doctor will be like from my work experience, but I don't know whether it's quite the same thing.

I don't have anything about what subjects I'm doing either, as my reference talks about that in length.
Reply 143
Original post by Besakt
You'll have to get in the boot. :tongue:

I may just be the driver :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 144
I applied to leeds last year. I scored 9/16 academically but I later discovered I was only predicted AAB, so I guess that could've had a big impact on my score. Anyway, I went on to achieve A*AA and I was wondering if any of you guys could predict what I might score academically with these grades (and GCSEs of A*AAAAAAAB). Thanks :smile:
Original post by JessBess
In your PS did you write much about academic subjects? I remember from open day they were keen for you to show you enjoyed your subjects/medicine as an academic subject. I am at 4000 characters now and struggling to fit that in.:eek:

Original post by Escapade
I'm ready to send my UCAS form off, and I 99% sure I'm applying here. :P

I was looking at the list of things they want you to put in a personal statement, and the only thing I think I might be missing is "In addition to work experience, you should also have some factual knowledge about potential careers...". I've described what I think being a doctor will be like from my work experience, but I don't know whether it's quite the same thing.

I don't have anything about what subjects I'm doing either, as my reference talks about that in length.

Didn't mention my subjects in my statement for last year, heavily mentioned my voluntary commitments and any work experience.
And also said a little about how medicine has affected me personally (but that's part of my reasons for wanting to become a doctor)
Basically I reckon what they look for is good knowledge of what you're letting yourself in for (for the second poster) and academic achievement and interest in the subject (first poster).
I think you can incorporate both as medicine is a scientific career, you don't really have to reflect on your A levels IMO but it's important to know that medicine is a course and requires a lot of study, which you have to partly enjoy and also a career that is very VERY long before you get to the top.
It's how you show these that they're looking for IMO and are offering guidelines of ways that they've seen it done by previous applicants.
E.g. enjoying your subjects and having a good interest in biology at A level means that you're more likely to work harder for that subject, after all they're looking for the best students / future doctors. Generally speaking it'l be those people who enjoy the subject and read into it more than just the surface depth.

Original post by MJHERBZ
I applied to leeds last year. I scored 9/16 academically but I later discovered I was only predicted AAB, so I guess that could've had a big impact on my score. Anyway, I went on to achieve A*AA and I was wondering if any of you guys could predict what I might score academically with these grades (and GCSEs of A*AAAAAAAB). Thanks :smile:

No idea,
I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C (no idea of A2 predictions) and got A*A*AA achieved. I'm in the same boat but AFAIK it's just two bonus points, so you'd get 11 same as I'm expecting.

that is as far as I know though, good luck man.
Reply 146
Original post by This Honest
:colone:

I mean thanks :colondollar:
Do you by any chance know how Leeds mark your academics? It's out of 16 but how do you know what points you'll get?

i cant seem to find it, but could you please tell me how they calculate the points? :smile:
Original post by franynli
i cant seem to find it, but could you please tell me how they calc
ulate the points? :smile:

I'm not sure atm as I havent done deep research yet :/
Reply 148
Original post by This Honest
I'm not sure atm as I havent done deep research yet :/

same :\ im such a last minute person i dislike that about myself, anyways thanks!
Reply 149
Thanks, think I am ready to send it off. :eek: Good Luck with yours. :smile:

Original post by joemullally
Didn't mention my subjects in my statement for last year, heavily mentioned my voluntary commitments and any work experience.
And also said a little about how medicine has affected me personally (but that's part of my reasons for wanting to become a doctor)
Basically I reckon what they look for is good knowledge of what you're letting yourself in for (for the second poster) and academic achievement and interest in the subject (first poster).
I think you can incorporate both as medicine is a scientific career, you don't really have to reflect on your A levels IMO but it's important to know that medicine is a course and requires a lot of study, which you have to partly enjoy and also a career that is very VERY long before you get to the top.
It's how you show these that they're looking for IMO and are offering guidelines of ways that they've seen it done by previous applicants.
E.g. enjoying your subjects and having a good interest in biology at A level means that you're more likely to work harder for that subject, after all they're looking for the best students / future doctors. Generally speaking it'l be those people who enjoy the subject and read into it more than just the surface depth.

No idea,
I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C (no idea of A2 predictions) and got A*A*AA achieved. I'm in the same boat but AFAIK it's just two bonus points, so you'd get 11 same as I'm expecting.

that is as far as I know though, good luck man.
Reply 150
If you could had to choose what would you say is the number 1 thing in the application that Leeds are looking for? Eg, Sheffield it would be UKCAT, Southampton would be a killer PS etc.

Thanks!
Original post by Erotas
If you could had to choose what would you say is the number 1 thing in the application that Leeds are looking for? Eg, Sheffield it would be UKCAT, Southampton would be a killer PS etc.

Thanks!

It's a more all round system than those.
A good personal statement and decent GCSE's would be important.

The application system is broken down as comprehensively as possible with the information we have in the first post.
Look at where you can get the marks.
Reply 152
It's a more all round system than those.
A good personal statement and decent GCSE's would be important.

The application system is broken down as comprehensively as possible with the information we have in the first post.
Look at where you can get the marks.

Oh okay thanks! And am I right in thinking that they don't look at AS grades, only predictions?
Original post by Erotas
Oh okay thanks! And am I right in thinking that they don't look at AS grades, only predictions?

Yup.
Reply 154
Yup.

Thank you!
Reply 155
Yup.

One last question - I don't really have many ECs and the ones I do have, I haven't achieved anything from them. Do you think Leeds are really big on ECs or if I have a ton of work-experience should I be alright?
Reply 156
hi does anyone know if leeds have an age entry requirement?
Reply 157
Original post by Erotas
One last question - I don't really have many ECs and the ones I do have, I haven't achieved anything from them. Do you think Leeds are really big on ECs or if I have a ton of work-experience should I be alright?

Well ECs help demonstrate you are an all round person, shows social skills, commitment and things like that. As long as you have other ways of showing things like that you should be fine.
Reply 158
hiya i want to email leeds admissions regarding gcse's however i can't seem to find an email address? please help
Reply 159
hihi does anyone know if there is an age limit for the leeds undergrad med course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending