The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Doctor.
PMed :-

Care to share Doc?
Reply 81
Holy sh*t that making your parents millage high really works. Got my insurance down to less than £1000 and i'm a guy!
Reply 82
hi everyone im new to this i cant believe ive never seen this before, well this is my first post be kind. it seems every1 is liking this insurance, im thinking of doing it, i wanted to know, one of the questions says how much you will b driving between 11pm - 6am, i answered daily, so how would the dashboard work regarding the timing bit if you get what i mean. Also when some1 comes to install the box what is the process, can some1 explain what happened on the day like what do they check and where they install the box etc.

thanks...
Reply 83
Original post by Toffee_506
hi everyone im new to this i cant believe ive never seen this before, well this is my first post be kind. it seems every1 is liking this insurance, im thinking of doing it, i wanted to know, one of the questions says how much you will b driving between 11pm - 6am, i answered daily, so how would the dashboard work regarding the timing bit if you get what i mean. Also when some1 comes to install the box what is the process, can some1 explain what happened on the day like what do they check and where they install the box etc.

thanks...

The dash bored tracks exactly when you've been driving etc so yeah go out of that time and your score will fall.

On the day, it's quite simple you must have the documents for the car etc. Then you'll just hand over the keys to the engineer, he will do everything while you wait in your house. He does a through check of the car and takes pictures of the documents you've provided.

The box itself is completely hidden so you cant really tamper with it or anything
Reply 84
So people can NEVER drive during those times without causing the price to go up?
Reply 85
Original post by iPhone
So people can NEVER drive during those times without causing the price to go up?

More or less, you can drive at the time but if you keep going out of the limit your score will fall. I've never gone out of that time, but on all the rest of it all I have an average of just under 5.0 (max)
Reply 86
I personally would never get this insurance, would feel like I'm being watched whilst driving all the time. Though I considering getting co-op (without the box).
Original post by Doctor.
X

I want to know your ways of getting cheap insurance :colonhash:..... please :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Yawn11
I personally would never get this insurance, would feel like I'm being watched whilst driving all the time. Though I considering getting co-op (without the box).

I want to know your ways of getting cheap insurance :colonhash:..... please :smile:

It's pretty decent really, I don't drive that 'well' anyway, and I have always gotten 5s all round. Except in Accelerating/Braking, :colone:. I'm only on this policy till I can find cheap insurance, hopefully next year or whatever.

I'll PM you. :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Doctor.
More or less, you can drive at the time but if you keep going out of the limit your score will fall. I've never gone out of that time, but on all the rest of it all I have an average of just under 5.0 (max)

So how many times would I be allowed / be acceptable to drive those times without getting any sort of penalty?
Reply 89
Does £1100 sound alright for a 1.3L 1999 Nissan Micra? That's with me as the main driver.
Reply 90
Original post by iPhone
So how many times would I be allowed / be acceptable to drive those times without getting any sort of penalty?

Not a clue sorry
Reply 91
£489.97 :biggrin: Jeeeezzz thats cheap compared to some quotes i got
Reply 92
Original post by h0110
£489.97 :biggrin: Jeeeezzz thats cheap compared to some quotes i got

wuuuuuuuuut.

Yourself as main driver?
Reply 93
Named driver
I'm twenty, I got a quote for a 1.2 corsa in my name for £650 fully comp.

You want to make your quote cheaper, add your parents to your policy as named drivers, knocked about £200 ish off my quote, reduce your planned mileage to the absolute min possible. Hate to say it but comparethemarket has a whole list of stuff like that
Original post by Camoxide
Does £1100 sound alright for a 1.3L 1999 Nissan Micra? That's with me as the main driver.

sounds expensive. See my previous post just above, but try adding parents as named drivers and stuff
Original post by rainbowbex
I'm twenty, I got a quote for a 1.2 corsa in my name for £650 fully comp.

You want to make your quote cheaper, add your parents to your policy as named drivers, knocked about £200 ish off my quote, reduce your planned mileage to the absolute min possible. Hate to say it but comparethemarket has a whole list of stuff like that

To be fair, people act all smug but a good deal of the car insurance premium goes on postcode, and there isn't anything you can do about that unless you want to commit fraud.

For example, main driver at my parents address = £570 3rd party, £590 fully comp

Main driver at uni address in Birmingham = >£2000 3rd party, >£4000 fully comp

Both of those quotes with direct line, identical aside from postcode, similar findings when using comparison websites. Adding named drivers has made no difference to any of the quotes I've looked at.

Fortunately in the end I managed to get a quote with Endsleigh for ~£1000 in Birmingham.

Can't use co-op because my car is too old. Also.. I don't trust that box thing.

Car insurance is a variable thing, your best bet is simply to shop around as much as possible and try altering every possible variable that you can (eg: I have found third party with fire and theft to be considerably cheaper than third party alone!)

Original post by Doctor.
Unfortunately if you're a young driver, you'll either be paying 2500+ or on this insurance, lower that 1000.

Again, stuff like that isn't universally true. Car insurance is highly variable, particularly with postcode.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by rainbowbex
sounds expensive. See my previous post just above, but try adding parents as named drivers and stuff

THat's with my parents as named drivers and doing about 6-8K miles EACH and then myself as 3000-4000

Without them added it goes up to like £3000.
Reply 98
Original post by Doctor.
The insurance company sees it like this: Older person probably in the mid 30s to 40s driving A LOT= More experienced, so less likely to crash. However if both the younger driver and older driver are driving 1000 miles a year....hmmh they're either lying or the younger driver will be driving more.

That's what I think anyway, it gives cheaper quotes so I am happy lol :biggrin:

Hi mate,
I just saw your tip for saving money on co-op, basically i got co-op young driver insurance for £2332, i am the main driver ( age 19 in a high risk postcode area) with two additional driver one 43 years old male and one 31 years old female, now after reading your comment i went online on there website entered all my details and increased the mileage for one of the drivers and insurance went down to £1250, thats a lot of saving (£1000), now if i call them and increase the mileage for the additional driver will it reduce my premium?
I am so gutted I didn't read this before :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Jkf1192
Hi mate,
I just saw your tip for saving money on co-op, basically i got co-op young driver insurance for £2332, i am the main driver ( age 19 in a high risk postcode area) with two additional driver one 43 years old male and one 31 years old female, now after reading your comment i went online on there website entered all my details and increased the mileage for one of the drivers and insurance went down to £1250, thats a lot of saving (£1000), now if i call them and increase the mileage for the additional driver will it reduce my premium?
I am so gutted I didn't read this before :frown:

I've not got a clue, I just did a bit of messing about with the numbers and singled out what was actually bringing down the price.

I guess you can try giving them a call, but I really dont have a clue. If anything, least next year youll be getting REALLY cheap insurance when adding your 1 year NCD!

Dont beat yourself up about it, just.look at the bright side of it all :smile:

Latest