The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ham_Sandwich
It's 60 for the joint honours, and I think about 150 for the single.

Original post by Soares
Its either 60 or 90 I think

60 people short listed for interviews? Just about everyone I know who's applied has been given an interview (for both fine art and faha) but that doesn't sound like very many if the number of places given are like 20/30...
Original post by kaylafrances
60 people short listed for interviews? Just about everyone I know who's applied has been given an interview (for both fine art and faha) but that doesn't sound like very many if the number of places given are like 20/30...

It was definitely 60 for the faha last year, and they had more applicants, so I doubt they'd change it :/ Maybe your college is just really good? :rolleyes:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
It was definitely 60 for the faha last year, and they had more applicants, so I doubt they'd change it :/ Maybe your college is just really good? :rolleyes:

lol possibly
so there's only 2 applicants to a place now?:eek:
Reply 1503
Original post by Usmih
Just be yourself. Forget the rejections, forget about any discouraging things. If you show them that you believe in what you are doing, I think they will see your potential. Good luck!

Thank you!
Original post by kaylafrances
lol possibly
so there's only 2 applicants to a place now?:eek:

Maybe! 50% chance of getting in then I guess :biggrin:
Original post by joverbena
Honestly that's so unacceptable to have so much time, money and energy wasted like that :frown: man! But if you're happy with going to LCF then at least you've not completely lost out :smile: you're probably relieved it's over ...

yeh i think it's made my choice easier :smile:
and oh god yes!thank god it's over...4 interviews..all so different..but wow they made me feel so awful everytime!to much waiting! :smile:
Reply 1506
Original post by Princeling
Update: I just got a Kingston conditional offer for BA Fine Art + History of Art, and so did my friend! One other person also on the foundation course got rejected, unfortunately. Phew, at least I have a place somewhere now.

KINGSTON JUST ****ING GRILLED THE **** OUT OF ME, TORE ME APART.

Wasn't too bad though, hard to tell. About half way through, his tone changed and then began a lot of argument and debate. Opinions n all that.... I fought... feel quite defeated.... I could feel the rejection as soon as it was coming to an end. But some of these interviews are just like that aren't they, like a test?

Not sure what to feel or think, kind of all over the place, mostly been confused then angry since then :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I can say its my first proper interview so far
Original post by Soares

Wasn't too bad though, hard to tell. About half way through, his tone changed and then began a lot of argument and debate. Opinions n all that.... I fought... feel quite defeated.... I could feel the rejection as soon as it was coming to an end. But some of these interviews are just like that aren't they, like a test?

Not sure what to feel or think, kind of all over the place, mostly been confused then angry since then :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What did he grill you about? The meaning of art? Your own work?
Reply 1508
Original post by joverbena
What did he grill you about? The meaning of art? Your own work?

quotes
'A 3 year old could do it' (he actually said this), 'its all just chance', 'but you didn't make it', 'so what',

then.... "i dont think you understand that we are trying to do something extraordinary here, I want to take the 65 best young artists in the world and make them into the very best in the art world" (that sounded arrogant as **** since kingston isnt even most peoples 1st choices, and that 'best worst good bad' are such **** words to describe artwork by any artist)

near the end he said he wanted to see my older 'failed' work from foundation which he knew I didnt bring, he was dissapointed, but how am i supposed to know, they say recent work and they say not too much work, i took a tleast 20 sheets, 2 sketchbooks and 4 journals, all from october to now.

barely gave me a chance to speak, felt like i was talking about 4 things at once, was in a room with 10 other ****in people doin separate interviews all talking over eachother, barely felt like i could explain myself or my work or my ambitions.

it might've just been a test and i think ive learned a bit from it

he ended with a, 'I dont think your ready'

I feel like i got rejected on the spot as it ended, but im not sure whether to take that officially

either way i dont know what to think of art at kingston uni anymore

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 1509
I got an offer from CSSD today, which means I got offers from all my choices.
Im super happy, but now I have to think real hard about where I should go, loads of pros and cons of it all.

Is staying in London always a plus? Or does it just mean more competition?
(Im going to study Theatre Design so will have to do some work experience and placement and will have to see a lot of shows)
Original post by Soares
quotes
'A 3 year old could do it' (he actually said this), 'its all just chance', 'but you didn't make it', 'so what',

then.... "i dont think you understand that we are trying to do something extraordinary here, I want to take the 65 best young artists in the world and make them into the very best in the art world" (that sounded arrogant as **** since kingston isnt even most peoples 1st choices, and that 'best worst good bad' are such **** words to describe artwork by any artist)

near the end he said he wanted to see my older 'failed' work from foundation which he knew I didnt bring, he was dissapointed, but how am i supposed to know, they say recent work and they say not too much work, i took a tleast 20 sheets, 2 sketchbooks and 4 journals, all from october to now.

barely gave me a chance to speak, felt like i was talking about 4 things at once, was in a room with 10 other ****in people doin separate interviews all talking over eachother, barely felt like i could explain myself or my work or my ambitions.

I feel like i got rejected on the spot as it ended, but im not sure whether to take that officially

omg :s that sounds scary!! :s
that does sound really arrogant!what a ****! :s
Reply 1511
Original post by Soares
quotes

whoa, this is pretty harsh!!! just don't let it get to you, I mean there's plenty of other unis and kingston isn't the top TOP one... really weird they would act like that!
Original post by Soares

Oh my gosh, what the ****?! I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience; it sounds completely different than what most of us had - certainly none of us were in the room with 10 people at once - and I had three women, no men. And they were seriously nice and really non-argumentative and I actually felt they should have been more challenging.

I'm seriously wtfing over why they treated you like that, because I think you're excellent. :/
Original post by Soares

'A 3 year old could do it' (he actually said this), 'its all just chance', 'but you

:console:
Reply 1514
Original post by Soares
quotes

:eek3: :eek: :eek3: ...... Im stunned.... either it was some intentional 'lets treat them really badly and see whos still standing' test or else he was just an immense ***hole

dont let it get you down...... he's probably a one off abberation in their staff, if they all had that attitutde then who'd ever want to go there!!!
Reply 1515
Original post by Soares
quotes

That sounds quite unprofessional! Don't worry about it, there's obviously a clear character flaw on him and not on your work!
Original post by Soares
quotes

Seriously, ring them up and complain. Give them hell if you have to, because that's no way to treat prospective students at all. Makes you wonder if they'd have said that if you'd been at college and had tutors/other students to complain to or put off the place.
What an arrogant ****. I don't think I would've kept my temper under wraps so kudos to you for not smacking him :laugh:
Original post by Soares
quotes

they can go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned
Original post by Soares
quotes

Jeez that sounds more like a personal attack than an interview.... maybe it is a test though, maybe he was seeing how offended / defensive/ angry you got to see if you really care about your work but i think it's a rubbish tactic, seeing as it just pisses everybody off and makes them not want to go there anyway. i would be tempted to just pick up my stuff and walk out as soon as he said the 3 year old could do it, while giving a scary look of silent treatment :rolleyes:
Original post by Philemon
I got an offer from CSSD today, which means I got offers from all my choices.
Im super happy, but now I have to think real hard about where I should go, loads of pros and cons of it all.

Is staying in London always a plus? Or does it just mean more competition?
(Im going to study Theatre Design so will have to do some work experience and placement and will have to see a lot of shows)

The biggest thing about London is the people and the contacts I suppose, it's just a great 'meeting point' and there are so many people educated in the arts here. So I suppose it's whether your looking to spend the 3 years studying your craft in an environment you like the most (seems to be Wales?) and build up yourself individually, or you really want to build up your contacts and artistic network, which is where London would be the best place to be. Or choose where you feel you would best be able to do both within reason..if you lived outside of London you would have more space and feeling of freedom maybe which will help your creativity BUT sounds like you would have to travel a lot to see shows and get research, which would be on your doorstep here in London therefore maybe more productive. So many galleries and museums here too to inform your work and push you to a good degree grade. But if your in a place you really love, your attendance will be better and you'll have more quality of a degree experience, so you have to partly go with instinct as well as the facts. Hard decision but that's my view! good luck with your choice & congratulations for getting into all of your choices, that's amazingly good!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest