The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Arialaxe

Also, my wonderful history teacher (who walked out of Oxford with a 1st, no less, and went on to make a certain website that a lot of history students use) said, and I quote: "Oxford is a bloody dump once you leave the centre." (And he should know: he comes from Telford.)

Oh my golly -

Spoiler

Oxford, Pembroke, Experimental Psychology :smile:

Cambridge didn't offer the same course. I also loved spending 3 days at interview getting to know the other applicants whereas friends that applied to Cambridge enjoyed it far less.
Reply 642
Original post by iyley
Oh my golly -

Spoiler

Afraid not, good guess though.

Spoiler

Original post by iyley
Oh my golly -

Spoiler

Ahh I just negged you when I meant to pos rep you, I'm sorry! Feel free to return the favour :tongue:
Pretty sure I've posted somewhere on this thread before, but oh well. Basically I applied to Oxford because I didn't want the pressure of having to get an A* in history. Which was a very good decision :tongue: also...inspirational deputy head did history at Oxford, went on a uniq summer school and fell in love with the place (whereas I got rejected from all the Cambridge equivalents that I applied for...), and just generally my school had a relatively bigger history of sending people to Oxford (we now have 5 in the last 5 years vs 1 at Cambridge :tongue:) so there was a sense that Oxford was more achievable.
Reply 644
Original post by Arialaxe
Afraid not, good guess though.

Spoiler

AAAAAAAH those head2head things were SO GOOD! Ah Y9 history ah the memories!
It must be something with Oxonian history teachers and creating AMAZING history sites...

Original post by flywithemma
Ahh I just negged you when I meant to pos rep you, I'm sorry! Feel free to return the favour :tongue:

Not to worry :biggrin:
Reply 645
Could not be dealing with NatSci or maths with physics at Cambridge when there was a lovely straight physics course at Oxford :smile:
I went to Cambridge because it seemed more manly
Reply 647
Cambridge don't do PPE, hence Oxford.

If they did do PPE, then I would have gone Cambridge.
Anyone know if you can bring your pet to Oxbridge with you? And have them stay in your room? A cat for example? I was just thinking about this haha
Original post by David Young
Anyone know if you can bring your pet to Oxbridge with you? And have them stay in your room? A cat for example? I was just thinking about this haha

I'm afraid not. I doubt there would be any exceptions anywhere.
Reply 650
Original post by nexttime
I'm afraid not. I doubt there would be any exceptions anywhere.

Byron had a pet bear at Cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 651
Cambridge have 114 libraries. Oxford, a meer 102. I think this shows a clear winner.

(Yes, Oxford have one of the most cool libraries in the world, but shush... quantity not quality?!)
Original post by iyley
(Yes, Oxford have one of the most cool libraries in the world, but shush... quantity not quality?!)

Cambridge's University Library is much more useful to an undergraduate student than Oxford's Bodleian.
Original post by Harry S Truman
Cambridge's University Library is much more useful to an undergraduate student than Oxford's Bodleian.
Can you take books out of the main Cambridge library?
For a long time I wanted to do Classics with Oriental Studies (which you couldn't do at camb). And when I decided to just do straight classics i never even thought to consider Cambridge :dontknow: also one of my teachers and a family friend who both went to Oxford were influencing me :lol:
Original post by fluteflute
Can you take books out of the main Cambridge library?

Yes, and most of their books are on open shelves.
Original post by Harry S Truman

Am I the only one who finds it quite cool that readers can only use one pencil in Duke Humfrey's Library? :biggrin:
Reply 657
Original post by Postscript
Generally speaking...Oxfordonions smile with a warm heart Cambridge folk seem hollow, misty, unreachable even - and not in a good way. A humanity of sorts attracted me to Oxford.
1zq52bn.jpg:teehee:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 658
Neither there both crap
Original post by STFU
Neither there the're both crap

xx

Latest