The Student Room Group

Cornell Vs. Edinburgh

What would your decision be? I've been accepted into both and am an international student for both. Cost is not an issue, but Edinburgh is a fair bit closer to where I live. I'm studying Applied Economics.

On purely academic basis, in terms of which one would benefit me the most in the future, which one would you choose?
Reply 1
Cornell.

Didn't know Edinburgh offer Applied Economics though. You sure they do?
Original post by yothi5
Cornell.

Didn't know Edinburgh offer Applied Economics though. You sure they do?

Sorry, should have made myself clearer.

Applied Economics at Cornell and straight Economics at Edinburgh.

What are your reasons for Cornell over Edinburgh? Edinburgh is more competitive in terms of getting in, no? 12 applicants per place? More established etc.
Reply 3
Cornell! You'd get to join the Cornell club :wink:
But, you should bear in mind where you would like to live after uni.

Though from what I've read Cornell Applied Economics is highly regarded. Plus, you'd get the 'Ivy Prestige factor'...
Reply 4
Edinburgh is actually less competitive and prestige wise, there wouldn't be much between them. Cornell is an Ivy but Edinburgh is ancient and has a big international rep. You know what you want to do so do you want to do other subjects beside it?
Original post by tooosh
Edinburgh is actually less competitive and prestige wise, there wouldn't be much between them. Cornell is an Ivy but Edinburgh is ancient and has a big international rep. You know what you want to do so do you want to do other subjects beside it?

I wouldn't mind, but it's not "make or break" for me. :tongue:

I just think having an "ivy" on my CV would prove beneficial if I do decide to work in some of the more... 'underdeveloped' parts of the world should we say.

But like you said. Edinburgh is ancient and it's a beautiful city on top of that. And nearer to home.
Reply 6
Original post by johnadams121212
I wouldn't mind, but it's not "make or break" for me. :tongue:

I just think having an "ivy" on my CV would prove beneficial if I do decide to work in some of the more... 'underdeveloped' parts of the world should we say.

But like you said. Edinburgh is ancient and it's a beautiful city on top of that. And nearer to home.

I'm not sure what your logic is in the bolded part. Since you like the city and that seems to be the only significant division, sounds like Edinburgh is the one.
bump
Reply 8
Really depends how much you plan to depend on the Ivy brand name. Dont take this the wrong way but even in the underdeveloped and some developed areas a majority of the people cant even name all the ivies except for HYP. Try to ask all the brits you see the names of all the ivy's and see how many go past HYP and the occasional Columbia/Brown because of Obama and Watson. The situation wil be worse in "under-developed" countries as you put it. I myself believed Stanford was part of the Ivy untill I was told different. And the people who know HYP usually only know about MIT and Stanford as the other top unis in the U.S. So, if your looking to gain some favour in underdeveloped countries dont bother as they wont really know what your talking about.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest