The Student Room Group

Doctor who helped CIA find Bin Laden jailed for 30 years by Pakistan for treason

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bellissima
i have no idea as i don't study british law, specifically on law surrounding this topic, nor do i know much about that case in depth.

this isn't that case though and this pakistani man has effectively lost his life for giving information to the USA about the whereabouts of a non pakistani fugitive, known to be behind the death of 100s/1000s+, whom pakistan claimed not to know anything about.

It's irrelevant where Bin Laden is from, the doctor's actions were within Pakistan's borders and resulted in a mission within Pakistan. The Doctor was basically a foreign spy.
Original post by silent ninja
Leona Panetta says they are fighting terrorism? Yes while American drones are indiscriminantly busy killing innocent villagers :rolleyes:

This man helped a foreign force not only undermine his country but violate it's sovereignty. Take your blinkers off for just a moment: What do you think would happen to a Brit if they did this?

Getting Bin Laden is one thing. Steam rolling everything in your path, be it by invasion, violating a country's sovereignty, drones, killing civilians, threatening and bullying, is not the way to go about it. The ends doesn't justify the means. Look how many civilians have died for one man.

Well - pakistan could have just stopped helping bin laden and islamic terrorists like him in the first place and avoided all that :rolleyes:
Original post by abdiz12
It's funny, because Bin Laden has been dead since December 2001.

It's only funny because you are so wrong
It's irrelevant where Bin Laden is from, the doctor's actions were within Pakistan's borders and resulted in a mission within Pakistan. The Doctor was basically a foreign spy.

so do you think it's just desserts and he deserves the sentence? he did not spy on pakistan, it was nothing related to his country. he gave information about the location of a foreign international fugitive, reknowned for killing 1000s, to the USA. treason is betraying one's country. this man did nothing against his country.
Reply 24
Original post by Bellissima
so do you think it's just desserts and he deserves the sentence? he did not spy on pakistan, it was nothing related to his country. he gave information about the location of a foreign international fugitive, reknowned for killing 1000s, to the USA. treason is betraying one's country. this man did nothing against his country.

Well technically he did by supporting a foreign nation to go into their sovereignty without their permission.

I know it's quite sad and so.........but the same sentence would be given if it happened in the UK or the US.
Reply 25
Leona Panetta says they are fighting terrorism? Yes while American drones are indiscriminantly busy killing innocent villagers :rolleyes:

This man helped a foreign force not only undermine his country but violate it's sovereignty. Take your blinkers off for just a moment: What do you think would happen to a Brit if they did this?

Getting Bin Laden is one thing. Steam rolling everything in your path, be it by invasion, violating a country's sovereignty, drones, killing civilians, threatening and bullying, is not the way to go about it. The ends doesn't justify the means. Look how many civilians have died for one man.

Someone that speaks sense!
Original post by abdiz12
It's funny, because Bin Laden has been dead since December 2001.

i agree....or else why would they have to dump his body in the sea according to Islamic principles...
Original post by Iqbal007
Well technically he did by supporting a foreign nation to go into their sovereignty without their permission.

I know it's quite sad and so.........but the same sentence would be given if it happened in the UK or the US.

funny that you think helping to bring to justice a terrorist that Pakistan itslef claimed to be against, is "supporting a foreign nation "
This doctor had no input on the USA entering pakistan to take bin laden fyi :rolleyes:
Reply 28
We're not at war with Russia, but remember Alexander Litvinenko who was murdered by Russia (it's suspected). Let's say a Briton supplied the information of Litvineko's whereabouts. What do you think would happen to that person?

How many people's deaths was Alexander Litvinenko responsible for? He was a spy, not a murderer. When it comes to issues like this, degree matters. Bin Laden was not a Pakistani citizen, sure, but he lived for years under the protection of Pakistani intelligence, and was responsible not only for thousands of American deaths, but thousands of Pakistani deaths as well. If anything this doctor should be honoured for these acts, as he has helped expose a trend of duplicity that has been evident within Pakistan's hierarchy for decades. Instead, the people who participate in harbouring and supporting terrorists are imprisoning him for political reasons. It has nothing to do with treason.

A more apt parallel would be if, say, Anders Behring Breivik (who, of course, killed far fewer people than bin Laden) had taken refuge in Britain and Norwegian forces launched a unilateral operation to kill him. I, and I hope you, would be completely in favour of this regardless of whether our government knew about it or not (especially if there was evidence that our government was involved in harbouring him). And it would be pretty damn obvious that the only people shouting "treason" in such a case, were a British citizen to aid this operation, would be those trying to save their own necks i.e. those who either supported his actions or who provided a secret support network for him. In Pakistan's case, it just so happens that these people constitute elements of the State.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Suetonius
How many people's deaths was Alexander Litvinenko responsible for? He was a spy, not a murderer. When it comes to issues like this, degree matters. Bin Laden was not a Pakistani citizen who lived for years under the protection of Pakistani intelligence, and was responsible for not only thousands of American deaths, but thousands of Pakistani deaths as well. If anything this doctor should be honoured for these acts, as he has helped expose a trend of duplicity that has been evident in Pakistan's hierarchy for decades. Instead the people who participate in harbouring terrorists are imprisoning him for political reasons. It has nothing to do with treason.

isnt it amazing that you have to explain that point to some people?
Reply 30
Original post by Dishoom-Dishoom
funny that you think helping to bring to justice a terrorist that Pakistan itslef claimed to be against, is "supporting a foreign nation "
This doctor had no input on the USA entering pakistan to take bin laden fyi :rolleyes:

The point of the sentence as I stated before in a previous post, is that he was jailed for so long based on how Pakistan viewed it as an embarrassment, but more over their own sovereignty violated by a foreign country which they see as far more valuable especially as their government is trying to cope with a possible military take over with support from the people.

Doctor played some part, especially on his whereabouts, hence why Pakistan wants to send a message to it's people.
The point of the sentence as I stated before in a previous post, is that he was jailed for so long based on how Pakistan viewed it as an embarrassment, but more over their own sovereignty violated by a foreign country which they see as far more valuable especially as their government is trying to cope with a possible military take over with support from the people.

Doctor played some part, especially on his whereabouts, hence why Pakistan wants to send a message to it's people.

Yeah we know, pakistan scentenced him based on its inaeduqaute ego and postering, nothing to do with any specific crime. The whole bin laden fiasco made a laughing stock of pakistan and their army/isi. Still this doctors is getting shafted as a result.

And again, the doctor identifying bin laden dna, didnt at all effect the USA operation -he didnt decide how he was to be taken or who should go take him out/ hand him over. that is entirely USA decsion and it was USA decision not to tell pakistan while they evaded all their secret service and aircraft detection
Reply 32
Original post by JJames
I read that as Doctor Who helped CIA find Bin Laden. (It's been a long day)

I hope he does get granted citizenship though.

I did, too. My first thought was "Pretty neat direction for Moffat to take Series 7" :colone:
Reply 33
Yeah we know, pakistan scentenced him based on its inaeduqaute ego and postering, nothing to do with any specific crime. The whole bin laden fiasco made a laughing stock of pakistan and their army/isi. Still this doctors is getting shafted as a result.

And again, the doctor identifying bin laden dna, didnt at all effect the USA operation -he didnt decide how he was to be taken or who should go take him out/ hand him over. that is entirely USA decsion and it was USA decision not to tell pakistan while they evaded all their secret service and aircraft detection

Hence why the current government is breaking apart, next elections you'll get an anti-US government because the people want that.

But the fact is that he in some way supported a foreign nation which in some way linked to a violation of sovereignty, it would be the same case if it happened in the US or Britain.
Like a worker at MI6 i think who told the newspapers how MI6 was doing things which goes the whole image of Britain and led to the deaths of innocent civilians when they tried to kill Gaddaffi I think it was.
Hence why the current government is breaking apart, next elections you'll get an anti-US government because the people want that.

But the fact is that he in some way supported a foreign nation which in some way linked to a violation of sovereignty, it would be the same case if it happened in the US or Britain.
Like a worker at MI6 i think who told the newspapers how MI6 was doing things which goes the whole image of Britain and led to the deaths of innocent civilians when they tried to kill Gaddaffi I think it was.

fail on that, becuase the above would only be true if you believe in a link between support for pakistani sovereingty and supporting terrorists who are wnated for murder. 2 differnet Pak governments have already stated that isnt the case, so killing bin laden and assisting in that cant be any sort of violation.
If there were murderous terrorists sitting in the UK, we would expect all our civil servants to to their best to bring them to justice, not jail doctors that help.

If pakistan install a fully anti US government, they will find life even more difficult than it is now, i reckon most pakistani people realise that. anyway why are u talking about elections, how many successful elected leaders has paksitan asctually had in its history?
Reply 35
fail on that, becuase the above would only be true if you believe in a link between support for pakistani sovereingty and supporting terrorists who are wnated for murder. 2 differnet Pak governments have already stated that isnt the case, so killing bin laden and assisting in that cant be any sort of violation.
If there were murderous terrorists sitting in the UK, we would expect all our civil servants to to their best to bring them to justice, not jail doctors that help.

If pakistan install a fully anti US government, they will find life even more difficult than it is now, i reckon most pakistani people realise that. anyway why are u talking about elections, how many successful elected leaders has paksitan asctually had in its history?

Well in all honesty there is a strong case for it and the legality behind another nation sending in soldiers without any permission from the country, regardless of who it is. If the nation was unwilling to co-operate despite it being true, thats another story,but they didnt inform them at all, hence why I think it's a violation, even their foreign minister has said it's a possibility. But their unwilling to act on it due to foreign aid.

Yes obviously, but thats if they knew.........Pakistan didn't know as they weren't informed of it.

I'm really not sure about that, because it would rise other questions if other nations put sanctions on it for a democratically elected government and it will add to the pile of nations which are anti-US, essentially creating their own economic environment. Cos I honestly see it happening soon, just wanna know what the new government would do and how the US would react.
Original post by ChampEon
I agree. After all these years, they still don't have the decency and balls to apologise to Bangladesh for the 1971 atrocities where they systematically killed an estimated 3 million Bengalis.

God - I'm so sick of listening to such hypocrites.

You guys still haven't apologised to india and the various crimes the empire have committed. There has NEVER been a formal apology, neither have you apologised to China for the Opium Wars. Talk about hypocrisy. There has never been an apology for TPAJAX Project - I could go on. In all honestly if Britain hadn't invaded and then partition the Sub-Continent we wouldn't even have theses atrocities. Do you have any idea how many people died during the partition. In india, muslims and hindus had co-existed for centuries. Yes - there were skirmishes but we didn't go wiping each other out like you like to make it out.

I got tired of listening to some of the none-sense people spout some times. People rarely seem to think carefully before they type - but I assume that's due to the fact most people don't know of all the worlds atrocities and everyone has an agenda.
Look at your own past before you criticise others. No country is perfect and admittedly many countries should apologies for their mistakes, but don't put other countries down - as we can just as easy turn to you and ask you where your apologies are.
Well in all honesty there is a strong case for it and the legality behind another nation sending in soldiers without any permission from the country, regardless of who it is. If the nation was unwilling to co-operate despite it being true, thats another story,but they didnt inform them at all, hence why I think it's a violation, even their foreign minister has said it's a possibility. But their unwilling to act on it due to foreign aid.

Yes obviously, but thats if they knew.........Pakistan didn't know as they weren't informed of it.

Accusations have been made toward pakistan that al queda heads were basing themsleves there ( as well as various other active islamic terrorists , lakshar etc) but pak gvnmts have always denied this and therefore dnined they need to do anything about it. If pakistan takes that attitude, hwhat else can countires like US do but play this silly covert game of sending their own troops to do the anti-terrorist job. You should know that numerous al queda generals have also been killed or captures by US troops and drones inside pakistan soil. The USA didnt inform pakistan about the bin laden operation becuase they felt pakistan and their ISI intelligence agency would move him quickly before they could get there, probably into the Army base situated at the end of his road :rolleyes: SO cant blame them for keeping this form the pakistanis, who have shown that they cant be trusted.
PLease dont try and play the ignorant card like pak gvmnt did about these terrorists setting up home inside pakistan.
And Forget about foreign aid, paksitan would get obliterated if it went head to head with any US force (even if their radar was sophisticated enough to know they were there)

I'm really not sure about that, because it would rise other questions if other nations put sanctions on it for a democratically elected government and it will add to the pile of nations which are anti-US, essentially creating their own economic environment. Cos I honestly see it happening soon, just wanna know what the new government would do and how the US would react.

Do you also realise the main reason pakistan now has an 'elected' leader is becuase the USA co-oerced musharaf to hand power back after taking it for himslef in the first place. the principle of democracy is fairly alien to pakistan - those that do get elected get assasinated by the dictators and terrorists anyway. You have been living in the west too long in your thinking of 'elected officials'
Who ever takes reigns of pak is always going to kiss boots of the USA, pakistan has been living off US aid for the last 25 years before the sanction started. Personally i cant see where pakistanis get this ego and pride to actually be dented- they lie to the US about being on their side against terroism, lie about who they have operating within their borders but arnt to proud to live off US hand-outs and charity.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's amazing how much people talk about Pakistan, yet how little people seem to know about it. The ignorance is utterly astounding.
Dude - People need to speed up and elect Imraan Khan as President.
Pakistani politics is way too corrupt and messed up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending