The Student Room Group

London Olympics 2012 = Terrorist Attack!

It's all over the new, as of when the Olympics start the countries ( uk) threat is at its highest!! What do you think?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's always at it's highest during big events. It was the same with the royal wedding except it was only one day the country had to prepare for and not 3 weeks.
Reply 2
Indeed--it probably won't be a great problem, but it's still a tangible threat.
Reply 3
We've all known collectively that if there's to be another terrorist attack on British soil, it's likely that it would occur in 2012 given the international attention. Seeing as it's so obvious to an insignificant citizen like me I'd imagine that the government is being extra careful and ultimately we've got nothing to worry about because of this.

Why has this been negged :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sure the terrorists want to target the games, like there were always threats about what the IRA were going to do during Euro 96.

Fortunately the UK security services are first rate and London will be well defended.
Just like on 7/7 2005?

I don't recall who in the IRA said it but the quote was, "You have to be lucky all the time, we only have to be lucky once"
Reply 6
I do trust the UK's security and intelligence services, they have a very good track record. However this does not mean the chance of an attack is 0, just that we are in some of the safest hands possible.
Reply 7
In the US, you're more likely to die in police custody than from a terrorist attack.

Im sure the UK is not far off.
Reply 8
Allow worrying me, when I've already secured a job there...
Original post by ak137
In the US, you're more likely to die in police custody than from a terrorist attack.

Why, how many people die in police custody each year in the UK?
Reply 10
Original post by ak137

Source?
Reply 11
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4218929/Al-Qaeda-plotting-cyanide-attack-at-London-Olympics.html

Extremists on a website with links to the terror group have posted detailed instructions on how to cause carnage at this summer’s Games.

The chilling online plot was uncovered as two convicted al-Qaeda terrorists were released early from jail and put back on the streets ahead of the Olympics.

And the specific nature of the “cyanide slaughter” web posts suggest they should be taken seriously by the security services.

An extremist who called himself Abu Hija Ansari said the poison should be mixed with a handcream that would enable it to be absorbed through the skin.

He wrote in Arabic: “Through skin: 1 cyanide, 2 skin cream. Mix the ingredients. The skin cream will open the pores in the skin and speed up the absorption and effectiveness of the poison.”

He said plotters should wear “medical gloves” when producing the lethal mixture.

A second extremist said on the website: “It is a good idea and you need to plan well.”

She added chillingly under a logo of the 2012 Games: “It’s time to prepare for the event, as once again they are interfering with innocent Muslims.”

Our investigator used a false identity to access the website which has 17,000 members worldwide and known links to six al—Qaeda terrorists.

He said: “There is a contingent using this site who want to strike at the Games. The explicit nature of what is being said would indicate more than just sabre-rattling but a wish to do real harm to the event and the people at it.”

Tory MP Bernard Jenkin, chairman of the all-party homeland security group, said: “I hope the individuals are identified so action can be taken. Those who believe there is no terrorist threat are living in cloud cuckoo land.”

Britain’s security services are on high alert to counter any attack on the Olympics, which start on July 27 in the main stadium.

Lethal ... cyanide has potential to kill many innocents at Games

They will not be helped by the early release of fanatics Nabeel Hussain and Tariq al-Daour.

Hussain, 28, was given eight years in 2009 for being part of a plot to bomb 19 jets flying from Heathrow to America. Al-Daour, 26, got ten years after he was found guilty of inciting murder online in 2007. They have both been freed to London bail hostels.

Very worrying
[I]Hussain, 28, was given eight years in 2009 for being part of a plot to bomb 19 jets flying from Heathrow to America. Al-Daour, 26, got ten years after he was found guilty of inciting murder online in 2007. They have both been freed to London bail hostels.

Planned to kill 2000+ people and served 3 years. :eek:
Reply 13
Original post by Ray Bradbury
[I]Hussain, 28, was given eight years in 2009 for being part of a plot to bomb 19 jets flying from Heathrow to America. Al-Daour, 26, got ten years after he was found guilty of inciting murder online in 2007. They have both been freed to London bail hostels.

Planned to kill 2000+ people and served 3 years. :eek:

I wouldn't be suprised if there was some other motive for releasing him. Maybe he's a small fish and the intelligence services think he could lead then to more imortant and dangerous people.
While everyone here is assuming security might be able to handle it, I'm gradually considering the fact that security is there for another reason...

And something will happen.
The terrorist threat is all over the news! Government has put anti air guns around the olympics and on local residents houses , does the British government feel the strong threat?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I personally would not recommend going this year around. But, let's hope for a safe olympics for everyone.
Reply 17
the UK terror threat level is always through the roof, i have yet to see any terror attacks ...
either way rather hoping there arent any attacks im bloody working there and dont especially fancy getting plastered across a corner of london :rolleyes:
I think there might be a higher risk at the parts of the Olympics that aren't taking place in London; some of the football matches, for example.
Reply 19
cant be bothered. iits the risk of importing 1.8m muslims.

Quick Reply

Latest