The Student Room Group

I was late for my Media GCSE exam today? What will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A few people were 40 minutes late to an AQA Alevel exam last week and they were fine :smile: plus my friend was an hour late for a GCSE English exam once and he was fine :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
Media isn't a real subject!
Nothing, that type of stuff happens more often then you think. GCSE exams are either 'Morning' or 'Afternoon' -when in the Morning or Afternoon you appear for it, it doesn't matter, so long as you get there before AQA come and collect your papers to be marked, which is usually about 2 or 3 hours after you do it, believe it or not. People usually think they get sent to the exam board straight away, but they dont.
Reply 23
Original post by itssketan
Nothing, that type of stuff happens more often then you think. GCSE exams are either 'Morning' or 'Afternoon' -when in the Morning or Afternoon you appear for it, it doesn't matter, so long as you get there before AQA come and collect your papers to be marked, which is usually about 2 or 3 hours after you do it, believe it or not. People usually think they get sent to the exam board straight away, but they dont.

I would have thought they came to collect them every week, or at the end of the exam season, lol.
Reply 24
Original post by mark4356
I misread my information paper on when the exam was and mistook it as being tommorrow. So today I got a phone call from the exam officer stating I was meant to be in a exam. I was told I could still take it but the exam board (AQA) may refuse the work. In the end I was 57 minutes late for the 90 minute exam and I was given extra time for it. The exam officer will now write a report on what happened and it may or may not get accepted. What is most likely to happen in this situation?

If you're less than an hour late, you're usually allowed to do it with no repercussions :smile:
You arrived before the exam finished, therefore I highly doubt there will be any repercussions because there is no possible way you could have cheated, so I believe your exam will be marked as normal.
Reply 26
According to the JCQ, which has a set of rules drawn up by all the exam boards, of your exam is over an hour long, you can be up to an hour late and your work will be accepted, but an exam officer will still have to explain the situation do they know you were late and you didn't just get 57 minutes extra. Past an hour late for the exam, the exam board will reject the work unless you can prove you were in isolation for the period before it started. If you were 57 minutes late, unless told otherwise, you are completely fine.

Reply 27
Original post by outsider95
According to the JCQ, which has a set of rules drawn up by all the exam boards, of your exam is over an hour long, you can be up to an hour late and your work will be accepted, but an exam officer will still have to explain the situation do they know you were late and you didn't just get 57 minutes extra. Past an hour late for the exam, the exam board will reject the work unless you can prove you were in isolation for the period before it started. If you were 57 minutes late, unless told otherwise, you are completely fine.

The thing is, my exam was meant to start at 2.00pm. But for obvious reasons they had that delayed period where everyone was taking their seats and everything was being checked, so it actually started at 2.05pm. I remember coming into the hall and reading that there was 33 minutes of the 90 minute test left. So technically I was 1 hour and 3 minutes late to when the exam should of actually started, but i was 57 minutes late to the actual exams start time. All very confusing I know. And what does it mean by proving you were isolated?
Reply 28
The thing is, my exam was meant to start at 2.00pm. But for obvious reasons they had that delayed period where everyone was taking their seats and everything was being checked, so it actually started at 2.05pm. I remember coming into the hall and reading that there was 33 minutes of the 90 minute test left. So technically I was 1 hour and 3 minutes late to when the exam should of actually started, but i was 57 minutes late to the actual exams start time. All very confusing I know. And what does it mean by proving you were isolated?

It's an hour from the time the exam was set to start by the exam board, so you may be looking at a disqualification. And it means you have to prove you had no access to the Internet or any other method of being able to talk to anyone who started the exam and then decided to leave

Reply 29
It's an hour from the time the exam was set to start by the exam board, so you may be looking at a disqualification. And it means you have to prove you had no access to the Internet or any other method of being able to talk to anyone who started the exam and then decided to leave

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let anybody leave during the exam unless they were really ill and that pretty much stops them from communicating with phone or posting on the internet. And I would need a 3 minute interval in which to do all these things in as i only arrive 3 minutes past the hour mark. If I was to be disqualified would i get a 0 for that exam? And also how would I prove that I had no access to the internet or other communication during this time?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
You have to prove you did not communicate with anyone since the exams starting time. Unfortunately that 3 minutes late accounts for the hour you shouldve been there as well. If the exam board can't see tight evidence that you were in isolation (really the only way you can prove this is if you were under supervision from a teacher or someone official at school) your work will be rejected

Reply 31
You have to prove you did not communicate with anyone since the exams starting time. Unfortunately that 3 minutes late accounts for the hour you shouldve been there as well. If the exam board can't see tight evidence that you were in isolation (really the only way you can prove this is if you were under supervision from a teacher or someone official at school) your work will be rejected

Ahh man that sucks. If It does get rejected, could I appeal? I was on for A* in this subject and if all this gets ruined because of 4 minutes.
Reply 32
Ahh man that sucks. If It does get rejected, could I appeal? I was on for A* in this subject and if all this gets ruined because of 4 minutes.

You probably can. And please don't take what I've said as fact. I may be wrong, so dont let it worry you or put you off any other exams because of any worry. Your only definite answer will be if you visit your exam office. They should be able to tell you

Reply 33
I misread my information paper on when the exam was and mistook it as being tommorrow. So today I got a phone call from the exam officer stating I was meant to be in a exam. I was told I could still take it but the exam board (AQA) may refuse the work. In the end I was 57 minutes late for the 90 minute exam and I was given extra time for it. The exam officer will now write a report on what happened and it may or may not get accepted. What is most likely to happen in this situation?

They'd usually do it if you were stuck in heavy traffic or if your car broke down while going to school or something... Any good and valid reason and they'd let you off.. But for misreading the sheet, I'm not too sure I'm afraid.

Just keep hoping :smile: Your paper may still be accepted
Reply 34
You probably can. And please don't take what I've said as fact. I may be wrong, so dont let it worry you or put you off any other exams because of any worry. Your only definite answer will be if you visit your exam office. They should be able to tell you

Will do, thanks for the help anyway:biggrin:
Reply 35
two people in my English lang gcse came late , about the same as you , they both got extra time and are expecting to get results with the rest of us
Reply 36

They'll accept that it was a pure and innocent human error. Even though we're supposed to be extra organised around exam time - brains just don't work correctly sometimes. The same thing happend to a friend of mine sitting her Spanish A2. She just received a generic letter reminding her of the importance of checking exam timetables thoroughly.

You'll be fine. All the best for results day :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest