The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Taking the plunge...

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and have now registered to start in October 2012. I just need to decide what courses to begin with. I want to do an Open degree but with a leaning towards psychology, philosophy and social science. I was considering the Intro to Social Science Part 1 to start in October and then start Discovering Psychology in Feb 2013 so they only overlap by a few months. Has anyone else done this? Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? Any advice is welcome, I am very nervous about the whole thing. Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Haven't studied the modules you would like to do, but I shall say welcome to the OU and good luck with your studies. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
I haven't buy I'm starting the discovering psychology module in October!

Reply 3
Original post by Mollysmum
Well, I have decided to take the plunge and have now registered to start in October 2012. I just need to decide what courses to begin with. I want to do an Open degree but with a leaning towards psychology, philosophy and social science. I was considering the Intro to Social Science Part 1 to start in October and then start Discovering Psychology in Feb 2013 so they only overlap by a few months. Has anyone else done this? Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? Any advice is welcome, I am very nervous about the whole thing. Thanks.

My guess is that the start dates have been designed so that psychology students can do this if they don't want to take both in parallel.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone. Lazydazy, maybe you can let me know how you get on?
Reply 5
Thanks everyone. Lazydazy, maybe you can let me know how you get on?

Definitely! I'm really excited to get started! I'm sure you'll be fine! Roll on October :smile:

Reply 6
Is anyone else using Open Learn? I am using the time before October to do some of the free courses, there is one that is taken from DSE141 and some really good study skills courses. I am trying to time aside to do them as a 'practice run' for the real thing and it's proving quite useful - some of the time periods that I thought would work for me, don't after all so it's good to find that out before October rather than after my course has started.
Reply 7
Is anyone else using Open Learn? I am using the time before October to do some of the free courses, there is one that is taken from DSE141 and some really good study skills courses. I am trying to time aside to do them as a 'practice run' for the real thing and it's proving quite useful - some of the time periods that I thought would work for me, don't after all so it's good to find that out before October rather than after my course has started.

That's a really good idea! Where would I find these courses?

Reply 8
Original post by lazydazy
That's a really good idea! Where would I find these courses?

Here

There might also be module samples available wherever the programme/pathway website is (there are for maths) but pinning them down for humanities is proving surprisingly diffficult.
Reply 9
Original post by sputum
Here

There might also be module samples available wherever the programme/pathway website is (there are for maths) but pinning them down for humanities is proving surprisingly diffficult.

I found it earlier and actually did the course that you found. I said it takes 5 hours but it took nowhere near as long. Very interesting too!

Reply 10
I picked up 6 units of the course I'm starting in October:smile: nice to get a running start.
Some of the astronomy ones look interesting, like the moon
Reply 11
Original post by sputum
I picked up 6 units of the course I'm starting in October:smile: nice to get a running start.
Some of the astronomy ones look interesting, like the moon

What course are you doing in October?
Is that what studying will be like? That was really easy!
And ooh will defo have a look at that unit!

Reply 12
MST209 (60-pointer L2 maths)

Studying is a bit like that but with deadlines and essays and lots more stuff to take in I think (I've never done that type of course to be honest:smile:)
Reply 13
Original post by sputum
MST209 (60-pointer L2 maths)

Studying is a bit like that but with deadlines and essays and lots more stuff to take in I think (I've never done that type of course to be honest:smile:)

Maths! Definitely not my strong point! Algebra was the only part I liked!

I'm enjoying this openlearn though, some pretty interesting courses.

I'm looking at a Psychology one at the moment, to do with the brain and memory etc and it's amazing how complex yet easily tricked the brain is! Sorry, I'm rambling now ha ha!

Reply 14
Starting an OU course is... interesting. I did a few of the OpenLearn things before I started last year, along with the tests to assess ability/prior knowledge (to help you understand which modules to start with). They were easy. In late September I got the work books through for a couple of 10 credit modules. Again, easy. The deadlines were WAY off as well, so I became a bit complacent. 'This thing will be easy!'. Then at the end of October I received delivery of a box full of books for my 60 credit module. This thing was huge. It also contained a note apologising for the absence of some books - there was a printing problem. At that moment I was bricking it. I checked out the deadlines for this module and they were tight - a book every three weeks, with a TMA and iCMA deadline the following week (coinciding with week 1 of the first book). I struggled so much after Christmas with two EMAs, a TMA (for my least favourite book, so I had a serious lack of motivation), an iCMA and a timetable to keep on top of.

Moral of the story? Never assume something like this will be easy. Assume that if it is easy then you just haven't got to the hard bit yet.

Reply 15
Original post by lazydazy
I haven't buy I'm starting the discovering psychology module in October!

I'm starting in October as well!! Doing the DD101- Introducing the social sciences module though :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Andrii
I'm starting in October as well!! Doing the DD101- Introducing the social sciences module though :smile:

Yay! We should all keep in touch so we can help each other out if need be :biggrin:

Quick Reply