The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can. I changed mine about a gazillion times!
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Yeah I've changed like 3/4 times already, but my point is that I've already had my projected signed off by my supervisor and the other person, so in my log book my planning review already has my plan for my current project. Can all of this just be rewritten/edited out later or not?

As your project goes on you get like mid-project reviews and end of project reviews where you can change your title officially.
Reply 3002
I've just finished my AS levels and will be starting to apply for Uni in September. One of my teachers has recommended that I do EPQ in order to enhance my application as I don't have much to write on my personal statement apart from enrichment etc. I'm thinking of applying for either law, journalism or education so would a project based on these topics help? I am predicted mostly As (obviously doesn't mean I'll get them though) so is it worth it? Is it actually valuable?
Has anybody done an EPQ based on teaching? How did that turn out?
Original post by WannabeKS1Teacher
Has anybody done an EPQ based on teaching? How did that turn out?

I'm brainstorming mine at the moment :smile: I'm doing it based on whether we start formal education too early compared to other european countries that start later :smile: Hopefully it'll turn out well there is a lot of research out there :smile:
Reply 3005
How do you avoid plagiarism if most of your information comes from researching what others have already written?

Are you supposed to reword and combine the information you've found, or can you just use what they have written as long as the books/websites/etc. are included in your bibliography?

This may seem like a silly question, but part of my GCSE geography coursework was made up of an essay which we were told copying and pasting was ok for (as long as websites were recorded) so I'm not sure if this is similar.
Original post by Reina
How do you avoid plagiarism if most of your information comes from researching what others have already written?

Are you supposed to reword and combine the information you've found, or can you just use what they have written as long as the books/websites/etc. are included in your bibliography?

This may seem like a silly question, but part of my GCSE geography coursework was made up of an essay which we were told copying and pasting was ok for (as long as websites were recorded) so I'm not sure if this is similar.

Copying and pasting is plagiarism unless you're directly quoting. I think you research around your subject then combien it? Also you're supposed to analyse and evaluate data rather than just narrate.
Reply 3007
Please can you do my EPQ survey on GM crops? Thanks :smile: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NT672LH
Reply 3008
Original post by LordFishlock
Back again, anyone know anything on these two guys? Avicenna and Des Cartes. Need to know who people think is a more modernly recognised philosopher?

Descartes, I think. He contributed greatly to the idea of realism and scepticism, I just have never heard of Avicenna before, so unfortunately i couldn't be sure.
Original post by KayK
Descartes, I think. He contributed greatly to the idea of realism and scepticism, I just have never heard of Avicenna before, so unfortunately i couldn't be sure.

I actually ended up picking Avicenna out of interest, but I am slightly struggling at finding concise info on him. Anyone mind helping me scour the internet for sources? Would ne a great help! Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
Original post by Harriet : )
I'm brainstorming mine at the moment :smile: I'm doing it based on whether we start formal education too early compared to other european countries that start later :smile: Hopefully it'll turn out well there is a lot of research out there :smile:

That sounds great! Good luck! :smile:
Hi guys,

I'm doing the EPQ on a topic to do with history. For a successful project, how much research/sources do you think is a substantial amount?

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
I was wondering whether it's worth it to do EPQ considering that it's the first time it's been done at my school? Should I just risk due to the fact it helps my UCAS application?
Reply 3013
Do it if you want to, I shouldn't worry about UCAS too much.

I regret not doing an EPQ. Not from a UCAS perspective, that went fine, but just because I think it would have been interesting. It seems worth it if you would learn something / would enjoy it, but there are plenty of other ways to strengthen your UCAS application.
Original post by girlikemoixx
I was wondering whether it's worth it to do EPQ considering that it's the first time it's been done at my school? Should I just risk due to the fact it helps my UCAS application?

We do it at my school, I didn't do it however it does look interesting, what subject/topic would u want to do?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi thanks, I want to do English Lit at uni so I was thinking about doing something on the short story.
Reply 3016
Hi,

I am trying to decide on a title for my EPQ based around Geology.

So far I have come up with What caused the Permian-Triassic mass extinction?/How far does geological evidence support hypotheses concerning the causes of the Permian-Triassic mass extinction? or something about whether we are currently undergoing a sixth mass extinction?

Would these ideas be suitable? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

I know what I want to do my epq on but im not sure what I have to do because our college hasn't been that helpful and I know you're not just marked on the project but the research also...any help is useful

Any idea is "suitable" as long as you can produce a 5000 word essay on it. Can you research the topic? If so, to what extent? Is there a wide array of resources available to you to aid you when it comes to actually writing the content for the essay.

But a tip that the coordinator at my institution gave our cohort was when you have a title/question that starts "How far does.." or "Does something support something.." rejig the wording so you have "To what extent.." - AQA apparently love "To what extent.." :tongue:
Reply 3019
"How much does Ancient Greece affect modern day Law?" - working title.

Is this good enough? Too hard to look into? Too easy? Any advice? Any particular websites/books to read?

Quick Reply

Latest