The Student Room Group

Should I go back to A & E for my tonsillitis?

I've had tonsillitis for the last 2 weeks. The first week it was mild and nobody gave me anything for it. Since last Saturday it's been horrible, painful and incredibly swollen. In A & E on Tuesday I was given Penicillin VK and another antibiotics starting with M to take for a week. I know it's only been 3 days but things have got worse. I think some of the bacteria on the tonsils has reduced slightly but I'm not really sure.

I can't control my phlegm at night and it never stops. Every 20 minutes I wake up needing to spit out phlegm and I have to dribble it because my throat won't let me spit and it takes ages. Then I need to drink water which is painful and encourages the phlegm again. A few times I've woken up choking on phlegm and I thought I was going to suffocate. Last night I vomited phlegm and vomit. When I wake up without choking the phlegm is all over my face, pillows and bed. The pain in my throat and tonsils is worse than before and before these new antibiotics my throat wasn't constantly coated in phlegm.

During the day there's still always phlegm in my throat and mouth but I won't choke on it. During the day I have to spit out phlegm every few minutes and it hurts. I've lost most of my voice since Tuesday.

What should I do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rainbowscarf
I've had tonsillitis for the last 2 weeks. The first week it was mild and nobody gave me anything for it. Since last Saturday it's been horrible, painful and incredibly swollen. In A & E on Tuesday I was given Penicillin VK and another antibiotics starting with M to take for a week. I know it's only been 3 days but things have got worse. I think some of the bacteria on the tonsils has reduced slightly but I'm not really sure.

I can't control my phlegm at night and it never stops. Every 20 minutes I wake up needing to spit out phlegm and I have to dribble it because my throat won't let me spit and it takes ages. Then I need to drink water which is painful and encourages the phlegm again. A few times I've woken up choking on phlegm and I thought I was going to suffocate. Last night I vomited phlegm and vomit. When I wake up without choking the phlegm is all over my face, pillows and bed. The pain in my throat and tonsils is worse than before and before these new antibiotics my throat wasn't constantly coated in phlegm.

During the day there's still always phlegm in my throat and mouth but I won't choke on it. During the day I have to spit out phlegm every few minutes and it hurts.

What should I do?

You should go and see your GP asap - A&E services are really for accidents and emergencies and is not really geared up for ongoing management of a problem.
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you're really suffering you should go the GP or if you feel its necessary ofc go to A&E! Hope you feel better soon tonsilitis is the worstttt!:frown:
Reply 3
You can get a same day emergency appointment from your GP - just ring them up and ask for one. They'll be able to deal with your problem better than A&E, and arrange follow-up appointments.

Feel better soon. :smile:
Reply 4
If you can't get a GP appointment i'd highly recommend you go to a walk in center or call NHS Direct and see what they recommend.
Tonsillitis sucks, I used to get it so bad they took my tonsils out. You should go see your GP, sounds really horrible :frown:
Reply 6
Sounds more viral, like glandular fever - this tends to give a more swollen and sore throat like you're describing. Especially with the antibiotics not working after a few days.

Go to your GP and ask them to test you for glandular fever. No treatment, but it means you can avoid infecting anyone else.

And if you can't swallow or have difficulty breathing then go to A&E, before that point use your GP.
You went to A&E with tonsillitis?

*facepalm*
Reply 8
Original post by Rooster523

*facepalm*

If you are struggling to breathe because of the swelling and its night time then A&E could be appropriate, although in such instances i'd always ring NHS Direct first.
Reply 9
Original post by Rooster523

*facepalm*

Original post by Idle
If you are struggling to breathe because of the swelling and its night time then A&E could be appropriate, although in such instances i'd always ring NHS Direct first.

A nurse conducting one of my uni exams told me to stop and go to A & E right away.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lmfao, you don't have any idea do you? tonsillitis can effect breathing and all sorts of other complications. They can become so swollen that you don't even have a gap in your throat. Please get educated before commenting next time.
My brother recently had bad tonsilitis like you and went to a&e (subsequently hospitalised for 2 days and put on a drip) but he went to his gp first.

See if you can get to a out of hours drop in centre and they can refer you to a&e if they feel its necessary. My brother did this and they hospitalised him because he had problems breathing amd becaise hed not managed to consume amd liquids for 2 days.

Hope you manage to get better soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest