The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Welcome to the official Lancaster University Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Please post your questions here if you'd like a response from our Undergraduate or Postgraduate Admissions team. We aim to respond to all messages posted on this thread within one working day.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!
Would like to find out about the Lancaster law school and particularly the year abroad option for the LLB course. May you provide me with more information?

Thanks in advance.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by nikoysha11
Hello!
Would like to find out about the Lancaster law school and particularly the year abroad option for the LLB course. May you provide me with more information?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Currently we offer two opportunities to study abroad within our LLB programmes.

We offer both LLB Law (International) (UCAS code M101) and LLB European Legal Studies (UCAS code M120) where students spend the third of four years at one of our partner Universities. Students study the equivalent of four units of law courses choosing from a wide range of courses to suit their own interests and aptitudes.

For partners we seek universities, which have a high academic reputation, are experienced in dealing with visiting students and which offer a pleasant stay for our students.

For more information about these courses or the Law School specifically, visit their website @ http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/law/index.php or contact the Law School directly at [email protected].

Hope this helps.

Matt Birkett | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello,
As I have applied to study at Lancaster in 2014 and have received an offer, I have started to look at accommodation. I tried looking online at what the differences are between the en suite accommodation and superior en suite accommodation. Could you give me some more details and information on this as it would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Original post by Kateeeee
Hello,
As I have applied to study at Lancaster in 2014 and have received an offer, I have started to look at accommodation. I tried looking online at what the differences are between the en suite accommodation and superior en suite accommodation. Could you give me some more details and information on this as it would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Hi,

The main difference between our en suite accommodation and superior en suite accommodation is largely the age of the building and facilities, with our superior en suite accommodation existing in our newer buildings. En suite accommodation includes the same facilities just in slightly older buildings.

All information including prices for 2014/15 should now be available on our accommodation website

For the opportunity to discuss our accommodation with current students you could try the accommodation thread.

Alternatively, our accommodation Facebook page includes more information including photos of each of the residences.

Hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Reply 5
Hello!

I am considering Lancaster as my firm choice right now and was wondering what the nightlife is like in the city and on campus?

Thank you!
How many students usually take up undergraduate history in lancaster university?
Original post by Siena4996
Hello!

I am considering Lancaster as my firm choice right now and was wondering what the nightlife is like in the city and on campus?

Thank you!

Hello,

For a student based idea of nightlife in Lancaster you may want to have a look at a few of the student lead threads, the following in particular may be useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381573.

A Student Ambassador had the following to say regarding nightlife in Lancaster: “With the 9 different College bars on campus there is something for everyone, each bar has a different feel and atmosphere. Each College bar offers a number of bar sports where you can compete for your college team or just play for a bit of fun. In Lancaster City there is a large selection of bars, nightclubs, theatres and cinemas with something for everyone whatever you are looking for from a night out. One of the main bars in the city is the Sugarhouse, this is a club run by the Student Union for students. With lots of different themed nights and big names attending, it is one of the best places to go in Lancaster“.

As mentioned above each College at Lancaster has a unique social space, JCR common room and bar; Colleges, the Student Union (LUSU) and societies organise weekly social activities on and off campus. For further details on the Colleges you may find the following link useful: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/.

Again as mentioned the University also owns and runs a student union nightclub and music venue, The Sugarhouse: https://www.facebook.com/thesugarhouse.

For those wanting an alternative or quieter night out Lancaster has 2 cinemas and 2 theatres offering a variety of screenings and productions throughout the week.

For general advice on life in Lancaster you may want to take a look at the following links:
http://lusu.co.uk/services/housing/living-in-lancaster/.
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/life-at-lancaster/.

Hope this helps.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
Original post by Sivlovescupcake
How many students usually take up undergraduate history in lancaster university?

Hello,

Thanks for your message Typically as long as a student has grades in the region of those that we ask, has a supportive academic reference and a keen interest in the subject area there is a good chance of an initial offer being made.

In regards to student/lecture/seminar numbers I have enquired with a colleague from the History department and will get back to you with further details as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Original post by Sivlovescupcake

Hello,

Having spoken with the History department they have provided the following information:

"We currently have 200 students taking part 1 (first year) History of which approximately 120 are History majors. There is one compulsory 2 hour lecture a week that all students attend. Seminars/workshops are typically 1 hour a week with groups of 12-13; you may find the following link of use: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/history/undergraduate/part1.php. This year over 95% of applicants who applied were given an initial offer".

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Lancaster University
Reply 10
Hi

I was just wondering as I just got an offer, this might be down to the SU but does Lancaster organise trips such as Ski trips etc....

Thank you!
Original post by shuffles
Hi

I was just wondering as I just got an offer, this might be down to the SU but does Lancaster organise trips such as Ski trips etc....

Thank you!

Hi,

Lancaster does have a snowsports society supported by the SU. The society train regularly at nearby outdoor dry slope Rossendale, regularly compete, have bi-weekly socials and an annual ski trip most recently to Val D'Isere in December 2013. Please take a look at the following link for further details: http://snowsports.lusu.co.uk/.

Best wishes,

Lancaster University
Reply 12
Hi, I just finished my UCAS application and Lancaster is one of my options. I just wanted to ask if predicted grades of A*AB meet the required standards for application as an International Student, since i want to study Law
Original post by Olamide15
Hi, I just finished my UCAS application and Lancaster is one of my options. I just wanted to ask if predicted grades of A*AB meet the required standards for application as an International Student, since i want to study Law

Hi,

The entry requirements for our Law programmes for all applicants currently studying A levels requires applicants to obtain AAA.
More information can be found here: LLB (Hons) Law

We would certainly welcome an application from an applicant with your predicted grades and with a supportive academic reference and a personal statement displaying a strong interest in the subject there is a good chance an offer would be made.

Hope this helps.
Matt

Lancaster University
Reply 14
Have all interviews and rejections been sent out for a100 medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I would like to find out more about the 'Flexible study' feature at Lancaster. I am applying to study English Language, however I've heard that it is possible to study 2 more subjects in your first year. Is it possible to change the subject I applied for after the first year? How would this work in terms of your timetable? Will you have to spend equal amounts of time of each of the three subjects? Does everybody have to do three subjects?

Thanks for your time.
Original post by kingshill
Have all interviews and rejections been sent out for a100 medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

We are currently working through all applications, meaning you should hear by the end of the week.

We update our Facebook page regularly (https://www.facebook.com/LancasterMedicalSchool) with updates, alternatively if you require further information you could contact the office directly via the following email address: [email protected]

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Original post by GrantLettice
Hi there,

I would like to find out more about the 'Flexible study' feature at Lancaster. I am applying to study English Language, however I've heard that it is possible to study 2 more subjects in your first year. Is it possible to change the subject I applied for after the first year? How would this work in terms of your timetable? Will you have to spend equal amounts of time of each of the three subjects? Does everybody have to do three subjects?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

In your first year (which we call “Part I”) you will be able to choose two additional subjects to study alongside English Language. For example, you might choose to study Politics and German. At the end of the first year, you can choose to either continue with just one of these three subjects, or you can combine two of them and graduate with a joint honours degree. For example, at the end of your first year you could decide to continue with just English Language, or to combine English Language and German. Or you might decide that English Language isn’t for you after all, and change your major to Politics.

The timetable would reflect that you are studying the minors and would make up your minimum contact time for your degree, with an equal weighting.

Everybody has to study three Part I courses, but not all degree programmes allow you the option of choosing which subjects you will study.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Reply 18
Hi, I understand from the Facebook page all A100 applicants would receive a decision by the end of this week, however, I have heard nothing regarding my application. Are rejections and interviews still being handed out and when will we find out? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi when does lancaster university stop making offers? It is too late to apply for lancaster now?

Quick Reply