The Student Room Group

A better way of concluding an essay than writting "In conclusion..."

Almost finished my A2 English Lit comparison essay (yay!) but I don't want to conclude by just writing 'In conclusion blah blah blah.." as I've been told in the past its unoriginal etc. How else could I start the finishing paragraph? "To summarize"? "Overall"?

Help!

See more:
Your guide to the ultimate essay
How to end an English Lit essay if I can't decide on a 'side'?
Writing a conclusion in economics essay
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

TheCheeseMonkey
Almost finished my A2 English Lit comparison essay (yay!) but I don't want to conclude by just writing 'In conclusion blah blah blah.." as I've been told in the past its unoriginal etc. How else could I start the finishing paragraph? "To summarize"? "Overall"?

Help!

Simple: don't use throwaway words at all.
To conclude or on the whole.
Reply 3
HoHum...

'All in all...'?

'Basically...'?

My teacher has a cow if we even think of writing 'in conclusion', so I usually just form a point or opinion from what I've written and leave out any prelude.

Maybe, 'So...'? Your ones seem better though.... :smile: Good luck.
Reply 4
Not all of these are great:

In short,

Finally,

To conclude,

That having been said,

As a closing remark,

To concatenate my thoughts,

To close,

So,

I would like to close by saying that...

In brief,

(some may not fit your purpose)
Forget about using obvious throwaway words. Instead, finish with a definite statement, one which the rest of your essay proves conclusively to be true.
RightSaidJames
Forget about using obvious throwaway words.

There seems to be an echo in here. :smile:
Oooo I like 'all in all' : ) might use that..
RightSaidJames
Forget about using obvious throwaway words. Instead, finish with a definite statement, one which the rest of your essay proves conclusively to be true.

I like this idea but not sure how to use it, could you give an example please? :3
I wouldn't use "In conclusion", "All in all" etc etc. Just wrap it all up.
TheCheeseMonkey
I like this idea but not sure how to use it, could you give an example please? :3

Just write the conclusion, without introducing it with the sort of clutter you have previously use and are considering using.

Not In conclusion, the net effect of..., but The net effect of....
Okay okay, my title is - Compare Orwell’s and Atwood’s Different Presentations of Dystopia in ‘Nineteen Eighty-four’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

I intend to conclude with the main similarities and differences summarized, and say that I find Orwells presentation best effective and the reason, but I still don't get this 'definite statement' thing? ^^;
TheCheeseMonkey

Prelude VI is perhaps the most striking and expressive piece of the first book of preludes. The actual music, coupled with the title and the over-descriptive performance instructions, paints a very clear picture. I believe it is a perfect example of Impressionist music, and perhaps even Impressionism as a whole. Other pieces by Debussy have been based on famous Impressionist paintings; in my opinion, if there was a painting to accompany this piece, it too would be a great example of Impressionism, and a great piece of work.

I realise that this is the end of a Music essay, but since you're the one studying English, you should be able to write something just as conclusive. :smile:
i think any of those essay words sounds a bit clumsy tbh- Ive been taught to look at the essay question again and come up with a one sentence answer to the question, which you explain and develop
Im out A-Town
Reply 15
"Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four is thus the most potent presentation of dystopia. It successfully describes..."
?
"In my opinion, Orwells presentation is most effective because......"
Reply 17
I always ended my essays with "Overall,..."
in almost EVERY essay i have ever written i write "in conclusion"
Just write a ******* conclusion without marking it?

Quick Reply