The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you have chosen a broad range which means uni course-wise you can do most stuff. i would consider taking physics and chemistry and dropping business management. if you go on to do a science course it will benefit you significantly if you have done another science.

i have done bus man this year and it has been awful. **** course and it will bore you to tears unless you have a very strong interest in the basics of how a business operates. the upside is that it is a relatively easy higher but i would have been miles better off doing something else.
:ditto: Business management is the weaker of the set - English, Maths, History, Physics and Chemistry is a very strong suit, but you're still alright:

Maths/Physics is strong for maths, physics, computing.
English/History will cover you for most essay-based arts and humanities subjects (English, History, Politics, Archaeology, Anthropology etc).

The combination would do you nicely for Economics. Realistically, the only things (that I can think of, and I daresay some clever sausage will better me here) you couldn't do are chemistry, biology, medicine and/or related subjects.
I personally enjoyed Business Management and HATED chemistry, however, neither is an easy subject. If you struggle AT ALL with standard grade chemistry, higher is not for you. The best score in my class in the prelim was around 55% :s-smilie:. However, if you work hard at them (which i'm only just starting to do) you will be rewarded. :smile:
Reply 4
Are you particularly thinking about a career in business? If you're not then I wouldn't advise it, I did SG and that was bad enough and my friends that did the Higher said much the same as Dado Prso! Instead of Bus Man why not think about a foreign language? Having a Higher in a Modern Language indicates you have a lot of skills that many universties/employers look for (ie. communication, knowledge of other cultures blah blah blah) Many universities accept maths as a science now, so even with maths and one of physics or chemistry you'd be fine for many sciencey courses. And with English, History and a foreign language you'd be set for any arts/social science courses.
Or you could drop Bus Man and do physics AND chemistry if you're particularly sciencey! Decisions decisions!

I did Highers in English, French, German, Modern Studies and Biology and was accepted to both arts (modern languages) and science (speech and language pathology) course unconditionally. More and more, getting into university is reliant on your personal statement/references and interview (if applicable) IMO
Reply 5
I would take Maths English History Physics Chemistry

I think that subject combination has got to be about the best out there and the only course I can think of that you couldn't apply for would be a language and if you change your mind pick one up in 6th year [assuming you get the grades for the courses of course]. Pretty much what I took except for Human Biology instead of Physics.
Reply 6
I actually quite enjoy Bus Man as it is taught well at our school and it's probably one of my strongest subjects so dropping it might not be the greatest of ideas.
And just one more question Standard Grades at my school are over S2 - S3 and Highers are done over S4 - S5, meaning two year Highers. I can't see myself getting 'brilliant' results and SG do you think this will have a detrimental affect on me getting into a decent Uni?
Reply 7
Dougie17
I actually quite enjoy Bus Man as it is taught well at our school and it's probably one of my strongest subjects so dropping it might not be the greatest of ideas.
And just one more question Standard Grades at my school are over S2 - S3 and Highers are done over S4 - S5, meaning two year Highers. I can't see myself getting 'brilliant' results and SG do you think this will have a detrimental affect on me getting into a decent Uni?

Well you need good grades to get into a good Uni...

As a general rule of thumb if you get a 2 in a subject your probably looking at a C at Higher, get a 1 your looking at A/B. However its really all down to effort. I know people who got straight 1's at SG and got BBCC at higher.
Reply 8
To get an unconditional to the most competitive Scottish Uni's [i.e. St Andrews and Edinburgh] you probably want something in the region of AABBB+ depending on the course. Arts>Sciences in general I would say, although people feel free to correct me.
Reply 9
standard grades don't matter too much. as long as you get credit grades in your subjects and your school allow you to sit the higher it's fine.

what does your school do to teach bus man well? In my school we read booklets on each of the topics as a class each lesson. maybe a couple of questions chucked in. it's just pish. Bus Man isn't really versatile for many uni courses either.
Lachlan
Well you need good grades to get into a good Uni...

As a general rule of thumb if you get a 2 in a subject your probably looking at a C at Higher, get a 1 your looking at A/B. However its really all down to effort. I know people who got straight 1's at SG and got BBCC at higher.

Conversely, I got a 2 at standard grade chemistry and got a band 1 A at higher :cool:

All depends on your attitude
Reply 11
Dado Prso

what does your school do to teach bus man well? In my school we read booklets on each of the topics as a class each lesson. maybe a couple of questions chucked in. it's just pish. Bus Man isn't really versatile for many uni courses either.

I think at my school it's the mixture of learning through presentations but at the same time having an almost whole class discussion of what we're learning about. Also the teachers tend to put examples of what we're learning in real world business situations. Being good at it does play a major part in helping you enjoy it though. :p:
Reply 12
that sounds a bit better than the way we get taught. but still physics + chemistry all the way.

I am good at it for what it's worth. got straight 1s at standard grade and got an A in my prelim with a bit of revision the night before. Being good at it was one of the reasons I took it but I realise I could have probably have worked my nuts off and crashed something more worthwhile.
Reply 13
Glad to here I'm not destined for pish Highers after mediocre SG's, anyway the two years for highers should help.
Reply 14
Dougie17
Glad to here I'm not destined for pish Highers after mediocre SG's, anyway the two years for highers should help.

Anyone know how Uni's feel about two year highers? Or are they mainly concerned about how many sittings?
I'm doing higher Maths, English, Computing, Physics and Chemistry and this year I'm doing higher music (thank god my school does music with technology, makes the course very easy to pass well).
Depending on results I might change History for computing but looking at what my school does for Higher history, I probably won't.
Hopefully in 6th year I'll do AH Maths, Chemistry and Physics and then on to (if I get the results) uni to study natural sciences.
Reply 16
EmmaDilemma
ah I was waiting for someone to pipe in :biggrin:
I hate it when people assume that only if you get straight 1's will you get good highers.. this is not always the case :smile: I got B's in my prelims (apart from maths of course) and I'm looking at A's for the finals and I got straight 2s!

I got a 2 for standard grade english, and an A in my last prelim :woo:

Although I did sit SG english with a fractured skull.. (had a sick line but didn't do a prelim so I had to sit it)

Latest