The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm just about to start my 2nd year on the BSc Hons at University of Greenwich, if you have any questions let me know!

GOOD LUCK! :smile:
Original post by scotton86
Thankyou! :biggrin: (Though I'm female... but hey ho!)

I'll be finishing my personal statement (only about 100 drafts so far!!) in the next few weeks, but God knows if I'm supposed to apply to Birmingham via application or UCAS. I guess doing both couldn't hurt...!

Went to my college enrollment day yesterday, it's all becoming very real now. That and the fact I'm leaving my well paid job in 4 days!

WannabeParamedic - how far are you along the process?

Dot

Hi Dot!

I am at the moment just tweeking the personal statement from last year... How about yourself?

Wannabe.
Reply 22
Is anyone applying to Swansea Uni?
I have the application form and it says to return it early within the academic year. Just wondering whether anyone has returned theirs yet and if so whether they included their personal statement?
Original post by hhh123
Is anyone applying to Swansea Uni?
I have the application form and it says to return it early within the academic year. Just wondering whether anyone has returned theirs yet and if so whether they included their personal statement?

Hey,

I am applying to Swansea this year. I am adding my personal statement to the back of it where the big box for your personal profile etc is :smile:

Wannabe.
Reply 24
Original post by WannabeParamedic
Hey,

I am applying to Swansea this year. I am adding my personal statement to the back of it where the big box for your personal profile etc is :smile:

Wannabe.

Oh okay. My plan is not to write anything in that personal profile box, but just to staple my personal statement to the back of the application form.

When are you going to hand your application form in?
Think I sent mine in in about November/December last year but there was people handing them in July/August/September (I believe). Your fine stapling your PS as that's what I did. If you have any questions about Swansea I have just started the course.
Reply 26
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Think I sent mine in in about November/December last year but there was people handing them in July/August/September (I believe). Your fine stapling your PS as that's what I did. If you have any questions about Swansea I have just started the course.

Ah fantastic! So I take it you've been through the whole application process then! I hope to get my application in by mid October. When did you hear back from them? And also, do you know how many places there are on the course and how many people apply? What A Levels did you do? And what experience did you have? Sorry about all the questions!

I know you're not an admissions tutor, but Swansea is my top uni choice at the moment. Do you think i'll have a chance of getting in with A Levels in Mathematics Psychology and Health and Social Care. Also I have work experience on an elderly patient ward (on going placement for 12 weeks), work experience in Minor Injuries Unit (one weeks worth) and I am also a first aider with St John...

Look forward to hearing from you
Original post by hhh123
Ah fantastic! So I take it you've been through the whole application process then! I hope to get my application in by mid October. When did you hear back from them? And also, do you know how many places there are on the course and how many people apply? What A Levels did you do? And what experience did you have? Sorry about all the questions!

I know you're not an admissions tutor, but Swansea is my top uni choice at the moment. Do you think i'll have a chance of getting in with A Levels in Mathematics Psychology and Health and Social Care. Also I have work experience on an elderly patient ward (on going placement for 12 weeks), work experience in Minor Injuries Unit (one weeks worth) and I am also a first aider with St John...

Look forward to hearing from you

Yep been through the whole process. Can't remember when I heard back from the about if I had an interview although offers were given out March/April. There is 40 people in our year but it changes slightly year on year depending on funding. I think about 1000 apply.

A level wise I did Psychology (B), Chemistry (C) and Computing (D). You should be fine with yours.

Experience wise I am an ETA in SJA and my job before I started here was in home care (I'm 21 by the way). I also have a large variety of volunteer work which I have done for years. There are quite a few people on the course though who have no health care experience at all other than a first aid certificate. There is also about 5 straight from school.

I'd say try and make sure you show them you do stuff outside of study, doesn't matter what it is. They want to see someone who is mature enough to do the course and who can handle the work load (its one heck of a lot). They also want to see someone who knows the job isn't like casualty.

I'd say try and make sure you show them you do stuff outside of study, doesn't matter what it is. They want to see someone who is mature enough to do the course and who can handle the work load (its one heck of a lot). They also want to see someone who knows the job isn't like casualty.

When I went for interview last year, they were looking for the life experience like you said above, that is a key bit. Life experience and something I am building on this year. Working full time in an Emergency Assessment Unit (13 Hours shifts, days and nights) balancing studying for some retake A Levels, a distance learning A&P course and also trying to hold up a social life. Even if you don't get in this year you still learn so much from the interviews/application process!
Reply 29
I've started filling out my UCAS form, applying to UWE, Coventry, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth and still deciding on the 5th. Also applying to Swansea and Birmingham City separately.

I applied only to Swansea last year, because the foundation year I was doing in collaboration with Swansea uni was supposed to guarantee me a place on completion, but they told us at the end of the year that actually we weren't guaranteed a place... harsh :frown: so I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket this year!

Anyway, good luck to everyone applying to paramedic courses, keep us all posted!
Reply 30
Original post by Tacita
I've started filling out my UCAS form, applying to UWE, Coventry, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth and still deciding on the 5th. Also applying to Swansea and Birmingham City separately.

I applied only to Swansea last year, because the foundation year I was doing in collaboration with Swansea uni was supposed to guarantee me a place on completion, but they told us at the end of the year that actually we weren't guaranteed a place... harsh :frown: so I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket this year!

Anyway, good luck to everyone applying to paramedic courses, keep us all posted!

You're applying to pretty much the same places as me! My 5th choice is Liverpoole John Moores. What A Levels did you get?
Reply 31
Original post by hhh123
You're applying to pretty much the same places as me! My 5th choice is Liverpoole John Moores. What A Levels did you get?

Liverpool is a bit far away from me so I'm thinking Northampton or Herts. I only have 1 A level, I did it part time while I was working, I've got an A in biology. So I did a foundation course in health studies last year in place of A levels, I'm just worried it won't be accepted by unis :frown: What A levels did you get?
Reply 32
Original post by Tacita
Liverpool is a bit far away from me so I'm thinking Northampton or Herts. I only have 1 A level, I did it part time while I was working, I've got an A in biology. So I did a foundation course in health studies last year in place of A levels, I'm just worried it won't be accepted by unis :frown: What A levels did you get?

What you've studied is very relative to Paramedic Science so it's more than likely you'll be considered - as long as your UCAS points add up. Do you have any health related work experience?

I am just in my second year of A Levels now and I'm studying Health and Social Care, Psychology and Maths. (It's a shame I haven't got Biology -_-).
Reply 33
Original post by hhh123
What you've studied is very relative to Paramedic Science so it's more than likely you'll be considered - as long as your UCAS points add up. Do you have any health related work experience?

I am just in my second year of A Levels now and I'm studying Health and Social Care, Psychology and Maths. (It's a shame I haven't got Biology -_-).

I've sent an email to all my choices to see if they will consider it, better to be safe than sorry! I don't have anything substantial, got a little bit of St John experience but I'm applying to work as a full-time care worker for the next year so hopefully that will count for something.

Those are all really good A levels to be taking, have you managed to get any work experience? :smile:
Reply 34
Hopefully the universities will reply. Seeing as you live in Cardiff, have you looked into Plymouth? (It's not too far from you). They have a really good course called Paramedic Practitioner. I live in Plymouth but wont be applying there as I want to move away from home!

Sounds great, being a full time carer. That's what I'll do for a year If I'm unsuccessful this year -_-

Erm I have a bit of work experience. I'm a first aider with St John too, I've done a weeks work in Minor Injuries and an ongoing placement on an elderly patient ward. Hopefully this'll be enough...

I'm assuming you're a mature candidate?
Reply 35
Original post by hhh123
Hopefully the universities will reply. Seeing as you live in Cardiff, have you looked into Plymouth? (It's not too far from you). They have a really good course called Paramedic Practitioner. I live in Plymouth but wont be applying there as I want to move away from home!

Sounds great, being a full time carer. That's what I'll do for a year If I'm unsuccessful this year -_-

Erm I have a bit of work experience. I'm a first aider with St John too, I've done a weeks work in Minor Injuries and an ongoing placement on an elderly patient ward. Hopefully this'll be enough...

I'm assuming you're a mature candidate?

Definitely, Plymouth is probably my top choice, but I reckon it's also the one that I'm least likely to get into, it's the only BSc I'm applying for, the rest are foundation degrees/diplomas. No harm in trying though right...? I guess I'm technically a mature candidate now yes, I'm 21 :redface:

Wow, you seem to have great work experience considering you're still doing A levels. Have you got a preferred uni/course yet?
Reply 36
Original post by Tacita
Definitely, Plymouth is probably my top choice, but I reckon it's also the one that I'm least likely to get into, it's the only BSc I'm applying for, the rest are foundation degrees/diplomas. No harm in trying though right...? I guess I'm technically a mature candidate now yes, I'm 21 :redface:

Wow, you seem to have great work experience considering you're still doing A levels. Have you got a preferred uni/course yet?

Well from what I've gathered, Plymouth university really like 'older' candidates. Those who have had a job beforehand and managed to gain 'life experience', so you may be surprised! :smile:

Brighton university have just emailed me back (the course there is a BSc too) and they have said that my grades would be acceptable - so looks like that's one of my choices now too! I think Swansea is my top choice though. Although I really like the look of Worcester and Bristol -_- Too many to decide from! Let's just hope one of them will accept us!!!
Swansea is a really nice course though very intense (but most of them are).
Reply 38
Swansea is a really nice course though very intense (but most of them are).

I am going to Swansea for an open day on the 8th Oct. Cannot wait!
Original post by hhh123
I am going to Swansea for an open day on the 8th Oct. Cannot wait!

Cool. I never even went to an open day. Can down here for interview and occy health (literally both times went train station to uni and back) so had never even really seen Swansea until I started the course!!

Latest