The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

This exam is such a bore -.- easy decent grade I suppose
Original post by d_aan
triangular? what graph is this?

There used in cases where there are 3 variables that add up to 100% it's quite difficult to explain in words, take a look at this http://geographyfieldwork.com/DataPresentationTriangularGraphs.htm
Reply 22
Original post by lukas1051
There used in cases where there are 3 variables that add up to 100% it's quite difficult to explain in words, take a look at this http://geographyfieldwork.com/DataPresentationTriangularGraphs.htm

Thanks, hmm my teacher hasn't mentioned that but i'm guessing a question about plotting the dots for a few SOA's?

With the percentages in those three columns, my teacher thinks that pie charts is a possibility. So we've done a bit of practice on that and looking at the advantages and disadvantages of using them.
Just did the practice paper as a mock in class on Monday. Got it back today, and got a high C! Which, seeing as I didn't revise as I had a biology exam today, and that we haven't actually been familiarised with the types of questions, I thought was quite good (well, when compared with the rest of my class!) The paper was also hard! 6 10/12 mark questions to do in an hour and a half. Seems a bit odd :/ I always seem to do worse in the smaller geog units compared to the big units, where I get higher. So hopefully this should be OK :s-smilie:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Just did the practice paper as a mock in class on Monday. Got it back today, and got a high C! Which, seeing as I didn't revise as I had a biology exam today, and that we haven't actually been familiarised with the types of questions, I thought was quite good (well, when compared with the rest of my class!) The paper was also hard! 6 10/12 mark questions to do in an hour and a half. Seems a bit odd :/ I always seem to do worse in the smaller geog units compared to the big units, where I get higher. So hopefully this should be OK :s-smilie:

We did a practice paper as a mock too and I got a D :s-smilie: I was ill with tonsillitis at the time though (dragged myself to school for an exam and was stupid enough to try staying for the rest of the day too :rolleyes:) so I was completely out of it. Hoping I'll do better in the real thing :biggrin:
Original post by TheQuietOne
We did a practice paper as a mock too and I got a D :s-smilie: I was ill with tonsillitis at the time though (dragged myself to school for an exam and was stupid enough to try staying for the rest of the day too :rolleyes:) so I was completely out of it. Hoping I'll do better in the real thing :biggrin:

Was it the practice paper 1/2 one from the zig zag material? And thats not good, hope you feel better now :smile: :s-smilie: and same. Luckily I figured that I only really need the grade needed for a B overall this year to get an A, as i got 90% at AS, but would be lovely to actually get a proper A, if that makes sense. I had to retake skills last June, so I dont mind retaking another geog unit, although it would mean at least 9 exams in June, 8 with no resists :L
Was it the practice paper 1/2 one from the zig zag material? And thats not good, hope you feel better now :smile: :s-smilie: and same. Luckily I figured that I only really need the grade needed for a B overall this year to get an A, as i got 90% at AS, but would be lovely to actually get a proper A, if that makes sense. I had to retake skills last June, so I dont mind retaking another geog unit, although it would mean at least 9 exams in June, 8 with no resists :L

Yeah it was that one I think...and yep thanks, much better now :smile:

I got about 90% at AS as well, but I'm hoping for an A* overall. (Don't reaaaally need one for uni but I'd love to get at least one A* anyway :biggrin:) I totally know how you feel about wanting a 'proper A' too - I got a B in biology at AS but I'm heading for an A overall...it's so annoying to have that little B on my results..but not worth retaking because it's close enough to an A. :rolleyes:

I haven't done any resits yet, and I only have 3 exams in June, so if I fail this I can definitely retry :tongue:
Yeah it was that one I think...and yep thanks, much better now :smile:

I got about 90% at AS as well, but I'm hoping for an A* overall. (Don't reaaaally need one for uni but I'd love to get at least one A* anyway :biggrin:) I totally know how you feel about wanting a 'proper A' too - I got a B in biology at AS but I'm heading for an A overall...it's so annoying to have that little B on my results..but not worth retaking because it's close enough to an A. :rolleyes:

I haven't done any resits yet, and I only have 3 exams in June, so if I fail this I can definitely retry :tongue:

Thats good :smile: And it would be nice for an A*, but I am not really fussed. I'm doing Chemistry at University, so more focused on getting my As in Maths and Chemistry more than anything for Warwick :L and that happened to me EXACTLY in Biology! Got As in my first unit and the practical unit, and then a B in my summer exam, which pulled it down to a B, so I'm only 6 UMS off an A! :L and thats lucky with only 3! and yeah :smile:
Thats good :smile: And it would be nice for an A*, but I am not really fussed. I'm doing Chemistry at University, so more focused on getting my As in Maths and Chemistry more than anything for Warwick :L and that happened to me EXACTLY in Biology! Got As in my first unit and the practical unit, and then a B in my summer exam, which pulled it down to a B, so I'm only 6 UMS off an A! :L and thats lucky with only 3! and yeah :smile:

High five for annoying biology Bs! :biggrin:

I'm doing geography at uni, after a gap year :biggrin: hoping to get good enough grades for Nottingham or Bristol. Warwick is lovely by the way, I have a cousin who went there. Good luck!

Back on topic...has anybody done a chi square test? My teacher keeps mentioning it but I have no idea what it is, how to do it or what it's useful for.

I'm doing geography at uni, after a gap year :biggrin: hoping to get good enough grades for Nottingham or Bristol. Warwick is lovely by the way, I have a cousin who went there. Good luck!

Back on topic...has anybody done a chi square test? My teacher keeps mentioning it but I have no idea what it is, how to do it or what it's useful for.

Oh yes! *high five* and thats good :biggrin: I really loved Warwick so hopefully I shall go there :biggrin: all they want is AAB, which is good I suppose :L

And well, I do Maths (statistics), so have done it in Maths, but I am covering it in Geography tomorrow.... I can help after tomorrow's lesson I think? It is either tomorrow/monday we are doing it :L
Oh yes! *high five* and thats good :biggrin: I really loved Warwick so hopefully I shall go there :biggrin: all they want is AAB, which is good I suppose :L

And well, I do Maths (statistics), so have done it in Maths, but I am covering it in Geography tomorrow.... I can help after tomorrow's lesson I think? It is either tomorrow/monday we are doing it :L

That would be awesome! Thanks :biggrin:

Also I'm so nervous about getting a Spearman's rank question. I can do it easily but I always make one tiny mistake which screws the rest of it up. The exam seems so short...I won't want to waste ages rechecking it :mad:

Also I'm so nervous about getting a Spearman's rank question. I can do it easily but I always make one tiny mistake which screws the rest of it up. The exam seems so short...I won't want to waste ages rechecking it :mad:

Its ok :smile: and same-ish :s-smilie: Should be OK! And theres not enough time! I ran out of time answering the questions in my mock :s-smilie:
Its ok :smile: and same-ish :s-smilie: Should be OK! And theres not enough time! I ran out of time answering the questions in my mock :s-smilie:

I had JUST enough time, but only because I skipped a big question and rushed the rest.

I have noticed in real exams though time seems to go much slower. In biology mocks I'd spend the full 1h 30mins frantically writing...in the real exam I finished within an hour and had loads of time to check. Hoping this exam goes the same way :s-smilie:
If not, oh well. Just have to keep a careful eye on the clock and do as much as possible I guess.
Reply 33

In exams when Spearman's rank comes up, my calculating skills are slowed right down. I make sure every single digit in the calculator is correct, then do the number work twice. Call that paranoia but I'd rather waste a few minutes than as you've already said, mess up the whole question:tongue:
Reply 34

I get what everyone is saying. Im finding it really hard to revise for this because i just dont know where to start. But make sure you look at the Poole borough website and know god and bad points because in the past years people have actually missed out the question when asked to discuss information on it as they hadnt looked at it... Thats why they keep sticking the website question in because its poorly answered

Back to CHI SQUARED!
It measures the difference between 2 variables of observed data
Its limitations are that the data has to be in frequencies and there has to be atleast 20 point..
It is also only useful for certain catagories so you wouldnt use it lets say when asked about the AMOUNT of traffic going in or out of Poole because you would just want to know the whole number (trucks bikes cars etc) so in that case best using flow lines (Thickness of line represents the amount of cars)

Hope that makes sense

Man whitney U test DOESNT work when trying to find differences in catagories so would be good when asked how you would maybe analyse data about traffic flow. It is also good for un even samples.

I'd say make notes and ask your teachers if what i have said is right because im in A2 as well (worst year of my life) aha and let me know if i have got anything wrong. AND Good luck

And is it me or is teaching a topic from september until november, ditching it and starting the AIB confusing? Think this year has been poorly structured.
Reply 35
I don't really know what they want us to read on the borough of poole website...
Reply 36
Original post by Keiran:.

Back to CHI SQUARED!
It measures the difference between 2 variables of observed data
Its limitations are that the data has to be in frequencies and there has to be atleast 20 point..
It is also only useful for certain catagories so you wouldnt use it lets say when asked about the AMOUNT of traffic going in or out of Poole because you would just want to know the whole number (trucks bikes cars etc) so in that case best using flow lines (Thickness of line represents the amount of cars)

Has your teacher mentioned anything about the chi squared contingency test? It's sort of similar to the usual chi squared test?

And is it me or is teaching a topic from september until november, ditching it and starting the AIB confusing? Think this year has been poorly structured.

I know what you mean:biggrin: We started off with Tectonics, then moved onto the first half of the Conflicts and Challenges unit. We then stopped and did some AIB work but for the last few weeks we've dropped all AIB revision for the second half of conflicts. It would have made sense if we spent most of our lessons leading up to the exam on the AIB and not stuff we don't need to know till the summer:tongue:
Original post by SnailFace
I don't really know what they want us to read on the borough of poole website...

Just have a flick through the bits about building projects and the bridge I think, see if everything adds up and is presented well etc. Also check out the bournemouth echo news site too - lots of comments on there with local people's opinions about the bridge and the regeneration, mostly negative. :biggrin:

What my class have noticed so far is that on every section of the Poole site about the amount of houses to be built on the Hamworthy Gate site, we see a different number. We've seen 1600, 2000, 3000 AND 4000. This makes the site a little unreliable as they can't even stick to one figure. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Basically the way my teacher has been approaching stats in this way is completely different to the way you guys have been talking about it. He's basically worded all the practice questions he's given us on stats in a really open ended way; as in you choose how you would present data from a traffic survey and then you justify why. Everything else you've said makes sense though. Also, the A350 is gonna then be joined at two places to the B3096, one of which is a residential road and will be full of obstructions. I don't think it's gonna ease traffic particularly....
Original post by joljol1606
Basically the way my teacher has been approaching stats in this way is completely different to the way you guys have been talking about it. He's basically worded all the practice questions he's given us on stats in a really open ended way; as in you choose how you would present data from a traffic survey and then you justify why. Everything else you've said makes sense though. Also, the A350 is gonna then be joined at two places to the B3096, one of which is a residential road and will be full of obstructions. I don't think it's gonna ease traffic particularly....

There's also several one way roads in the area leading to the new bridge and even the normal roads are mostly too small to cope with a large volume of traffic. The road system, like the old bridge, is old and hasn't been updated to cope with the increased traffic.

Also that sounds more like the questions on how you'd present data in some way (e.g. How would you plot the data from item 3, column B on the map (figure 7) and why is this a suitable method?) - we've had those too, but there's also a chance of getting a question where you just have to do the calculations for one of the statistical methods and state what the results you get mean e.g Spearman's rank table with some boxes missing - you have to fill those in, do the formula and then take your result and say how statistically significant it is, and hence whether you can reject your hypothesis or not.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest