The Student Room Group

Asset Management Summer Internships 2012

Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice. Having researched my options, I would like to pursue a career in asset management. The high stress/ very long hours of Investment Banks just doesn't appeal to me, but I have a healthy interest in finance and investments.

I am going into my 2nd year of Economics at Cambridge - I got a 1st in first year, and I am professional, well presented, and personable. I have worked before and have run my own company briefly and successfully - although I have no direct experience, I highly doubt that lacking a week at some IB would really jeopardize my chances. As such I assume that with a bit of preparation, I can reasonably expect to get an internship.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice of websites to research asset management houses/ different divisions etc. Obviously I have been searching myself, but I would love to hear any suggestions - I probably haven't picked it up yet!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Alpha5
Have you done a spring week at any BB IB's?

No, why?
Reply 2
some IBs have good AM divisions although I don't know how many hire interns (Maybe JPM or Lazard). most AMs don't do internships but there is Baillie Gifford, Schroders, Fidelity, Ruffer and Aberdeen Asset Management (I know there are one or two more but that is off the top of my head). there aren't any different divisions...there is investment management or operations (in some of the bigger places they may have risk).

you won't need a spring week or anything (some places you don't necessairly need an internship) but you do need to be good..."with a bit of preparation, I can reasonably expect to get an internship"....one word: hubris. you don't know what your talking about, thats all you should know. no1 cares if you went to Cambridge, they want money. i don't mean to be rude but that is the way it is.
(edited 12 years ago)
I applied to AM firms for internships last summer, so I can help you somewhat.

The first thing that you need to realise is that they are brutally competitive. Apply to whichever company you can. A good place to find a list of asset management companies is www.trustnet.com - it also has a lot of useful information about the retail funds they provide. crcr is right, the attitude you show with the sentence "with a bit of preparation, I can reasonably expect to get an internship" is not one that is going to be successful.

Off the top of my head, the places I applied to were: Blackrock, HSBC GAM, GSAM, MSIM, Baillie Gifford, Aberdeen AM, Schroders, Fidelity, M&G. Also, apply to all other roles that are linked, such as investment consultancy, pensions actuarial, PWM, discretionary fund management etc.

The Cambridge name will only get you so far. Once you are into an interview, then it is down to you and you alone. If someone from a lesser university, such as the university of Birmingham (like me) comes in and performs better on the day then your university and degree means didily squat.

If you have any more questions, feel free to quote/PM me
Reply 4
Just completed an internship at JPMAM - great firm, and they have roles on all sorts of desks - I was on Equities, and there were some other on Fixed Income, Real Estate, Investment Trusts, Ops, Risk and Finance. Applications are fairly competitive, just because there are only a few spots each year (our intern class was just 20-strong), and there are less AM internships going in the industry as a whole. I didn't have any formal experience at banks either, though I had enough other work experience (Consultancy, Law, Mathematical Research, and also working in the College Bar alongside studying) and demonstrable interest in the markets that it was alright. Definitely don't assume that you deserve anything - being smart is of course useful, but if you can't interact properly with your interviewers, or seem enthused by the role in front of you, you've got no chance.
Reply 5
Original post by henryt

Original post by thegaffer91

Thanks guys - didn't mean to seem like I was resting on my laurels so much, just more wanted to show that I was a realistic candidate.

Was wondering what sort of things I could look at/ do to show interest in the markets/ the job?

Cheers!
Reply 6
Original post by henryt
Just completed an internship at JPMAM - great firm, and they have roles on all sorts of desks - I was on Equities, and there were some other on Fixed Income, Real Estate, Investment Trusts, Ops, Risk and Finance. Applications are fairly competitive, just because there are only a few spots each year (our intern class was just 20-strong), and there are less AM internships going in the industry as a whole. I didn't have any formal experience at banks either, though I had enough other work experience (Consultancy, Law, Mathematical Research, and also working in the College Bar alongside studying) and demonstrable interest in the markets that it was alright. Definitely don't assume that you deserve anything - being smart is of course useful, but if you can't interact properly with your interviewers, or seem enthused by the role in front of you, you've got no chance.

How did you apply to this position ? was it though JPM and then they places you in the AM division or was it an application direct to the AM. I was in the credit hybrids trading desk last spring and they were going to be moved to Asset Management.
Reply 7
Original post by Buddy K

Original post by Buddy K
How did you apply to this position ? was it though JPM and then they places you in the AM division or was it an application direct to the AM. I was in the credit hybrids trading desk last spring and they were going to be moved to Asset Management.

Direct to AM. A few of the trading desks will be moving over to AM, so they can keep the good traders on that will be affected by the implementation of the Volcker Rule.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr. Jones

Original post by Mr. Jones
Thanks guys - didn't mean to seem like I was resting on my laurels so much, just more wanted to show that I was a realistic candidate.

Was wondering what sort of things I could look at/ do to show interest in the markets/ the job?

Cheers!

I guess the most obvious thing would be to start your own portfolio, whether virtual or real.
Reply 9
Original post by henryt

Do you know what the conversion rate from internship to full time was for JPM AM?
Reply 10
Original post by Swayum

Original post by Swayum
Do you know what the conversion rate from internship to full time was for JPM AM?

There's no automatic pipeline - we have to reapply, but there's some 'fast-tracking' in place, from what I understand. I think that's fair enough when there are so few interns and so few grad positions going, not necessarily on the same desks on which interns were placed. Obviously, they have 8 weeks of data on us, so we have a distinct advantage if they liked us!
Reply 11
Hi thought I would try and revive this thread. Has anyone been interviewing/got offers so far?
Reply 12
Nothing yet! ... Where have you applied so far, QUB11?
Reply 13
M&G - online test invite 4 weeks after applying
Aberdeen AM - telephone invite (deadline day application)
Schroders - rejection (deadline day application)

Who all did you apply to?
Reply 14
Original post by QUB11
M&G - online test invite 4 weeks after applying
Aberdeen AM - telephone invite (deadline day application)
Schroders - rejection (deadline day application)

Who all did you apply to?

M&G - did verbal tests waiting reply
Aberdeen - got rejection letter by post today :/
Schroders - rejection about a week ago
Baillie Gifford - waiting reply, applied beginning of Jan
Ruffer - waiting reply, applied end of Jan just before deadline
Santander AM - got my telephone interview last week. waiting reply
VTB Capital - got my telephone interview last week. waiting reply
Blackrock - portfolio analytics - waiting reply, applied beginning of Feb

not the best outlook..

QUB, you applied only to those 3 ? congrats on Aberdeen interview!
Reply 15
Has anyone heard/know of anyone who's heard from schroders since the tests?
If anyone managed to get an interview with Aberdeen AM in March, have you heard back from them yet?
Reply 17
Original post by Mechanicalorange
If anyone managed to get an interview with Aberdeen AM in March, have you heard back from them yet?

No not yet, I was advised at the time that we'd hear back in the first week of April.

Anyone else got an interview lined up with M&G?
Reply 18
Guys, what kind of hours do people in Asset Management work?
Original post by Budgie
Guys, what kind of hours do people in Asset Management work?

Normally 10ish hours, 8-6/7 for UK markets.

Quick Reply