The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scarborough Accommodation.

Hello guys, I was wondering what current students at Scarborough think about the university managed accommodation. I like the idea of self-catering and I'm certain I'll be staying in these houses. What're your opinions?

Cheers, Matty

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently in University Managed Accommodation in Scarborough. I imagine every house is different, but I specified a quiet house and that's exactly what I've got. I'm living with twelve others and can honestly say there isn't a single person here I dislike. The rooms themselves differ greatly, but even the small rooms are perfectly liveable. I've got a large en-suite myself, and it is rather a lot larger then most living rooms. We do have a lounge with a telly too, I often spend the evenings watching telly with everyone. Overall it's been very enjoyable living here. The closest thing there is to a problem is 12 people sharing a washing machine/tumble dryer isn't the best set-up, but I'm nitpicking to be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey I'll be going to Scarborough in September and I've just been to an open day. We got to see a room in Bradley Court, the size was good but it was so dark and dingy. I'm guessing/hoping they aren't all like this? I'll be going self catered too, what course are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I'm currently in University Managed Accommodation in Scarborough. I imagine every house is different, but I specified a quiet house and that's exactly what I've got. I'm living with twelve others and can honestly say there isn't a single person here I dislike. The rooms themselves differ greatly, but even the small rooms are perfectly liveable. I've got a large en-suite myself, and it is rather a lot larger then most living rooms. We do have a lounge with a telly too, I often spend the evenings watching telly with everyone. Overall it's been very enjoyable living here. The closest thing there is to a problem is 12 people sharing a washing machine/tumble dryer isn't the best set-up, but I'm nitpicking to be honest.

Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm not exactly worried about going to university, I'm welcoming to the idea of going :smile:. But I'd like to know more about what you do on a day-to-day basis in Scarborough, I like the idea of a quiet place too.
Reply 4
Original post by Jessypug
Hey I'll be going to Scarborough in September and I've just been to an open day. We got to see a room in Bradley Court, the size was good but it was so dark and dingy. I'm guessing/hoping they aren't all like this? I'll be going self catered too, what course are you doing?

Just by chance you posted at the same time as me haha. Awesome, I'm doing Primary School Teaching QTS. I've had my interview and offer so I'm almost certainly going there, grades permitting at BCC, which I should quite easily get. What about you? I'm also looking at Private Sector accommodation, which actually seems quite cheap, which I never expected. Nice stuff on here :- http://www.scarboroughstudentpad.co.uk/Home
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Matty159
Just by chance you posted at the same time as me haha. Awesome, I'm doing Primary School Teaching QTS. I've had my interview and offer so I'm almost certainly going there, grades permitting at BCC, which I should quite easily get. What about you? I'm also looking at Private Sector accommodation, which actually seems quite cheap, which I never expected. Nice stuff on here :- http://www.scarboroughstudentpad.co.uk/Home

Hah sorry I PMed you before reading your post! Congrats on your offer, I've been given an offer for coastal marine biology and put Scarbs as my firm place.

Yeah there seems to be a lot of choice in the private sector and would personally prefer that but I'm gonna go for uni managed just so I can meet people really. Then deffo private for the second and third years!
Reply 6
I really like the uni-managed accommodation. It is great fun and the uni have done well putting our house together with the majority of us very similar so we get on well. When you apply for accommodation you have to answer a series of questions like are you an early or late riser, are you quiet or very sociable, are you clean. They then use these to put you in a house. The walk to uni is not bad and you are closer to town which is always good. My room is really nice, very airy and I have an en-suite. But with the people I share with I wouldn't mind having to share a bathroom. For people that go out, town is nice and handy to get to and there are some places to go to. I'm not really a person who goes out and they have put me in a house with similar people, but there are people that do go out and some houses are pretty much full of the people who do. I have a living room which is great as you can go downstairs and hang out with people in your house. I know my brother has now started looking at unis and it seems a unique thing to have a place to hang out. I love living in uni-managed and much prefer it to living in halls on campus.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Reply 7
Original post by Tabers
I really like the uni-managed accommodation. It is great fun and the uni have done well putting our house together with the majority of us very similar so we get on well. When you apply for accommodation you have to answer a series of questions like are you an early or late riser, are you quiet or very sociable, are you clean. They then use these to put you in a house. The walk to uni is not bad and you are closer to town which is always good. My room is really nice, very airy and I have an en-suite. But with the people I share with I wouldn't mind having to share a bathroom. For people that go out, town is nice and handy to get to and there are some places to go to. I'm not really a person who goes out and they have put me in a house with similar people, but there are people that do go out and some houses are pretty much full of the people who do. I have a living room which is great as you can go downstairs and hang out with people in your house. I know my brother has now started looking at unis and it seems a unique thing to have a place to hang out. I love living in uni-managed and much prefer it to living in halls on campus.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hey thanks for all the info, what house are you in if you don't mind me asking? Its a shame we didn't get to see any other accommodation at the open day because I really want to know what its like. How many people do you share with? Is there anywhere to park cars cuz ill be bring mine with me.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hey thanks for all the info, what house are you in if you don't mind me asking? Its a shame we didn't get to see any other accommodation at the open day because I really want to know what its like. How many people do you share with? Is there anywhere to park cars cuz ill be bring mine with me.

Thanks in advance :smile:

We live in 8 Crown Crescent and their are 13 people living here. (Me and Tabers live in the same house) I believe you can get parking here but you have to pay a fair bit for it, not certain though, as I don't drive.
Reply 9
We live in 8 Crown Crescent and their are 13 people living here. (Me and Tabers live in the same house) I believe you can get parking here but you have to pay a fair bit for it, not certain though, as I don't drive.

Have you been in any of the other uni managed accommodation? What do you think of them? It says on your profile you're studying ecology, I'll be doing coastal marine biology-what do you think of the department? Are the tutors amazing? I thought they were great at the open day :biggrin:
Reply 10
Have you been in any of the other uni managed accommodation? What do you think of them? It says on your profile you're studying ecology, I'll be doing coastal marine biology-what do you think of the department? Are the tutors amazing? I thought they were great at the open day :biggrin:

I'm the one doing Ecology. The first year is the same for both of these courses and also Environmental Science. The tutors are good and very enthusiastic. It was the main reason I was attracted to here because even when it was boiling hot they were so enthusiastic. It is a good department and the course is good. In the first semester I think there was only one week where we didn't go out on a trip and in that week we did quite a bit of lab work so thats good. There are some statistics that we do but they go through it slowly. They try to bring in a bit of everyones interests in the first year as much as possible with bits that are marine based, terrestrial based as well as some more sciency things. It is great fun and would definatly reccomend it.

As for seeing inside other properties I haven't really. I've seen the living areas of three other properties and they all seem to be nice with sofas in them. I haven't seen any of the other rooms though. On the Post pics of your dorm room thread I have put some pictures up of my room if you want to have a nosy at them.
Reply 11
Original post by Tabers
I'm the one doing Ecology. The first year is the same for both of these courses and also Environmental Science. The tutors are good and very enthusiastic. It was the main reason I was attracted to here because even when it was boiling hot they were so enthusiastic. It is a good department and the course is good. In the first semester I think there was only one week where we didn't go out on a trip and in that week we did quite a bit of lab work so thats good. There are some statistics that we do but they go through it slowly. They try to bring in a bit of everyones interests in the first year as much as possible with bits that are marine based, terrestrial based as well as some more sciency things. It is great fun and would definatly reccomend it.

As for seeing inside other properties I haven't really. I've seen the living areas of three other properties and they all seem to be nice with sofas in them. I haven't seen any of the other rooms though. On the Post pics of your dorm room thread I have put some pictures up of my room if you want to have a nosy at them.

Your room looks lovely! The area looks really nice too.

Yeah I thought Magnus was amazing! And Phil isn't bad looking, would keep me interested haha! I can't wait to go, I'm sure it'll be fantastic, and the trips look amaze!
Reply 12
Thanks guys, your room looks nice. What do you do around Scarborough? I know you said you didn't go out, but what do the people say who actually do?
Reply 13
Original post by Matty159
Thanks guys, your room looks nice. What do you do around Scarborough? I know you said you didn't go out, but what do the people say who actually do?

There are the arcades on the seafront I've been to many times to waste time and its nice to just go walking on the beach. Some people go surfing as well in the day.

As for the evening, those that go out tend to have pre-drinks round someones house before heading into town. Because I don't live on the campus its pretty close to the town so easy to walk in but some people will take a taxi. There is basically a strip of clubs that people go to. Blue Lounge seems to be quite a popular place to go and then people will move onto other places like Vivas. Things take place up on campus as well in Calvinos but it can be quite a trek up at night if you live off campus. Then there is the pub quiz that takes place on Tuesdays at a pub called the cask. I haven't been for a while but I know quite a few people who go. That's quite good fun!
The university managed accomodations are not good at all, but the halls are even worse. The prices are insane and you get ****ty food. A lot of my friends have complained that they got food poisoning from there on more than one occasion. The best thing would be if you can find a private accomodation to rent
Reply 15
Original post by ScarboroughStudent
The university managed accomodations are not good at all, but the halls are even worse. The prices are insane and you get ****ty food. A lot of my friends have complained that they got food poisoning from there on more than one occasion. The best thing would be if you can find a private accomodation to rent

Hey do you mind sharing what isn't good about the uni managed accommodation? Just a bit more detail? And what are the private ones like in terms of price, landlords etc? Thanks in advance :smile:
Problems vary from house to house and from a person to person. You may not like your room or the house that you live in. I would not recomend going for a small or medium room. Some of the houses that the university offers are in terrible condition or there going to be really far away from uni or town. The accomodation office is also a pain, they never listen to the students side of the story. If somebody does something in your house you are all getting the blame and fined for it.

I am sorry, if I sound a bit too negative, but that is my personal experience from living here.
Reply 17
Someone just showed me this link, really useful pics of all the accommodation! https://picasaweb.google.com/100248273464333856172
Reply 18

hey. I know this is a veeerry old post. but was wondering if u could be of any help? i will be moving in to cayley halls in a few days time and i was wondering how posts work? Say i buy something online? how do i receive it??
Original post by Selom
hey. I know this is a veeerry old post. but was wondering if u could be of any help? i will be moving in to cayley halls in a few days time and i was wondering how posts work? Say i buy something online? how do i receive it??

I'm afraid I've no idea, I would imagine there are boxes near the entrance to the main building into which the mail is posted, one box per room. That's how I've seen it done in other unis, just have mail delivered to the address of the main building, and then your room number, it should get to you.

You're right that it's old though, as I graduated this year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest