The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
I'm currently holding my fiancee's English 1800-1914 letter - unopened - so they are clearly being sent out!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2161
Nothing in the post again for History!
Original post by pinkpenguin
Rejection for GGD, so the QEH notifications are on their way out.

Absolutely gutted but not entirely unexpected. Tough course to get into and my grades don't set the world alight. On to other things I guess.

Good luck to everyone else. It's a truly fantastic university and I am very sad to be leaving.

Incidentally - the decision came through my Oxford nexus email account rather than the gmail account I used to write the application. I'm pretty sure I didn't put my uni address anywhere on the application so it's quite funny that they've searched the university address book for my name to send the decision to.

yeah same for me. I think they do it instantly since they know of course that we are already enrolled students. I am sorry to hear about your rejection. I am sure that with a degree from Oxford your job opportunities will be countless. And if you still want to go on with academia, re applying is quite common :smile:
Original post by ebee
I'm currently holding my fiancee's English 1800-1914 letter - unopened - so they are clearly being sent out!

Oh! Good luck to her!

Absolutely gutted but not entirely unexpected. Tough course to get into and my grades don't set the world alight. On to other things I guess.

Good luck to everyone else. It's a truly fantastic university and I am very sad to be leaving.

Incidentally - the decision came through my Oxford nexus email account rather than the gmail account I used to write the application. I'm pretty sure I didn't put my uni address anywhere on the application so it's quite funny that they've searched the university address book for my name to send the decision to.

So sorry to hear that.

Did you apply to other places too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2165
Original post by strivingon
Did any MPhil in IR applicant receive an offer?

Hope I can get offer letter this week, it will boost my chance of getting a scholarship

Nothing yet =/ Looks like we are the last ones to be waiting !
Original post by *Corinna*
how on earth is US an emerging economy ? :tongue: (I know it's one of the countries mentioned but it makes no sense)

Funny, huh? I was surprised too.
This is my first post here, and ARRRRGGGHHH! I'm on pins and needles waiting for my decision for the M.St. in English and American Studies. I noticed on thegradcafe that everyone who has posted his or her results for English has received an acceptance. I may be overanalyzing this, but I can't help to wonder that the acceptances are being delivered first, followed by the waitlisters, and then the rejections - the last category in which I'm starting to believe I'm going to be included. I know that some people have posted that Oxford sends out rejections and acceptances simultaneously, but now I'm filled with self-doubt.

Questions:

1. To those of you who have already heard that are not in the UK, did you hear by e-mail or snail mail? If by e-mail, what time of the day are these usually sent out? Any rejections...or all acceptances at this point?

2. To those of you who have received funding, did you find out early, or were you some of the last people to hear from your department about your acceptance and scholarships?

I've been checking my e-mail obsessively, calculating the time difference between the UK and US Central Time Zone. Sheesh. I think I'll die waiting for this!
Reply 2168
Original post by cyberpoet
Oh no!! :tongue: That'll teach us not to talk about yummy food late at night.

It's funny though that chatting about courses and apps doesnt ever spur me to suddenly hit the books or something. Same goes for Exercise or anything remotely good for me. It's like the power of suggestion only works for greedy, slothy stuff. :biggrin:

Haha! True! I wish my brain could activate itself for exercise and study in the same way that my imagination and taste buds do each time I read about some kind of delicious food item. :tongue:

That reminds me. Does your chosen college have a reputation for its culinary achievements too? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2169
how on earth is US an emerging economy ? :tongue: (I know it's one of the countries mentioned but it makes no sense)

That is quite sad actually. It means that they perhaps believe its economy to be so bad that it's at par with countries which aren't fully "developed" economically yet. :tongue: I am also intrigued by the inclusion of UAE in the list. They have created world class shopping malls, crazy beautiful cities, a ski slope in the middle of a desert and yet they are an emerging economy? :rolleyes:
Original post by ScreenwriterX
This is my first post here, and ARRRRGGGHHH! I'm on pins and needles waiting for my decision for the M.St. in English and American Studies. I noticed on thegradcafe that everyone who has posted his or her results for English has received an acceptance. I may be overanalyzing this, but I can't help to wonder that the acceptances are being delivered first, followed by the waitlisters, and then the rejections - the last category in which I'm starting to believe I'm going to be included. I know that some people have posted that Oxford sends out rejections and acceptances simultaneously, but now I'm filled with self-doubt.

you should not be filled with self-doubt. Oxford simply does not follow this system. A friend of mine was telling me that he thought she got rejected last year cause his letter was in a small envelope, even though he had already received an email that he had an offer :rolleyes:
Original post by Student 01
What does 'nominated for funding' mean exactly, i.e. how much of a chance do I really have.

Compared to Cambridge's measly 4 AHRC places, Oxford boasts 10! But still, how do we know what the chances are at nominations?!

I asked the department and basically being nominated does improve the odds quite a bit (in comparison with the earlier stages of the funding competition) but is not a guarantee; e.g. some nominated people may be waitlisted. I know this is not the same as what Venus_in_Furs said, but I suspect the director of graduate studies was giving her a personal assurance (i.e. of a very high ranking indeed).

I had no idea that Cambridge only had four - do you mind if I ask where you read that? I'm not doubting you; I just thought I'd read most of the funding info out there on the internet, and am interested to learn of more! (My interview with Cambridge was heinously bad, so knowing how few places there are just confirms that I won't get funding from them.)
Reply 2172
Original post by Abacaxi
Nothing yet =/ Looks like we are the last ones to be waiting !

Yes, and what a darn exasperating wait it is! I have been having nightmares for weeks now, eating way too many potato chips, and I am ready to bite the heads off even mildly irritating people. :eek: I'm not always Buddha-like but this shakiness of the nerves is making me kind of wish that I could sleep tonight and wake up only a week later by which time IR department's "late March" will have arrived. :unimpressed:

Which programme have you applied for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Scout-
That is quite sad actually. It means that they perhaps believe its economy to be so bad that it's at par with countries which aren't fully "developed" economically yet. :tongue: I am also intrigued by the inclusion of UAE in the list. They have created world class shopping malls, crazy beautiful cities, a ski slope in the middle of a desert and yet they are an emerging economy? :rolleyes:

I don't think that this is why they included the US. It's probably because the money might come from an American person/organisation and they probably wanted Americans to be included (5 out of 20 as well!)
I think Greece should be there now !!
Reply 2174

Really sorry to hear about that. I hope you get into the other courses that you have applied for. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2175
I don't think that this is why they included the US. It's probably because the money might come from an American person/organisation and they probably wanted Americans to be included (5 out of 20 as well!)
I think Greece should be there now !!

Oh yeah, that could be the reason. LOL. Along with Greece, I am also annoyed that India is not there. Actually, if you notice, it's mainly comprised of ex-USSR countries, the Middle East and a few rogue allies of the US. Oh well. :rolleyes:
Original post by Scout-
Oh yeah, that could be the reason. LOL. Along with Greece, I am also annoyed that India is not there. Actually, if you notice, it's mainly comprised of ex-USSR countries, the Middle East and a few rogue allies of the US. Oh well. :rolleyes:

exactly!! Have they not seen Slumdog Millionaire?? :tongue:
Original post by ScreenwriterX

Questions:

1. To those of you who have already heard that are not in the UK, did you hear by e-mail or snail mail? If by e-mail, what time of the day are these usually sent out? Any rejections...or all acceptances at this point?

2. To those of you who have received funding, did you find out early, or were you some of the last people to hear from your department about your acceptance and scholarships?

I've been checking my e-mail obsessively, calculating the time difference between the UK and US Central Time Zone. Sheesh. I think I'll die waiting for this!

Yep, exactly the same feelings. Everyone is so nice on TSR that it's really bolstered my confidence, but it's been a week since the first offers went out - indeed the first offers for this specific stream - so I'm revising down my expectations. Good luck - I hope you get good news :smile:
Reply 2178
exactly!! Have they not seen Slumdog Millionaire?? :tongue:

Haha! Oh yes! They should know that we all grew up in large slums and spent half our childhoods begging for street gangs. :wink: Now, excuse me. My call center's 10 minute tea break is over and our large-eared tea guy is going to give us lessons on how to know the answer to every ridiculous question ever without the help of Wikipedia. :tongue:
**** and again ****!
They asked me for an interview via telephone,
MSc in Applied Statistics

Any ideas about what should I expect during the interview??
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest