The Student Room Group

Why is Medicine so popular?

Well the title is self-explanatory. I'm just genuinely curious as to why a medicinal degree is so popular? Is it because of the pay or the job prospects? The self-satisfaction that the job brings? I'm currently in Year 11, and already I'm beginning to hear classmates say that they want to study medicine at Oxbridge. Don't get me wrong, even I'm fond of the idea; I just want to know why there's such heavy competition for the course. And tbh most of them don't even know what they're getting into anyway :rolleyes:. So tell me forum, why did you choose medicine.

EDIT: Since I'm getting negged, let me just establish something. When I said "them" i meant my classmates. I'm not trying to disrespect any hopeful medics out there.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cuz you get paid £80k-120k for telling someone they have flu.

stop negging me you medicine applicants......
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nightufury
Cuz you get paid £80k-120k for telling someone they have flu.

You don't get those salaries till you're around 30-40. I'd rather get a Maths degree from Cambridge and go into investment banking where you get 6 figure salaries after just 3 years.
Reply 3
Original post by GeneralOJB
You don't get those salaries till you're around 30-40. I'd rather get a Maths degree from Cambridge and go into investment banking where you get 6 figure salaries after just 3 years.

Goodluck.
Reply 4
Original post by R4INBOW
I'm currently in Year 11, and already I'm beginning to hear classmates say that they want to study medicine at Oxbridge.

And thb most of them don't even know what they're getting into anyway

Sounds like your average 16 year old really.
Reply 5
Original post by digitalis
Sounds like your average 16 year old really.

yeah i suppose :s-smilie:
You don't get those salaries till you're around ~45+. I'd rather get a Maths degree from Cambridge and go into investment banking where you get 6 figure salaries after just 3 years.

People tend to do medicine because its a well respected, well paid and rewarding field to be in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Scrubs is obviously the main reason. Everyone knows that. Who doesn't want to have a job as funny as that? :\ duhhh
It's one of the most well known high paying jobs and is encouraged as a logical step for pupils who are good at chemistry and biology. Well it was in my school anyway. A quarter of my year group applied for work experience in a hospital.
I'm currently in Year 11, and already I'm beginning to hear classmates say that they want to study medicine at Oxbridge.

Thing is though, most people I hear who say that have no idea what they have to do to get it. Seems a shame really :/
well i think the most generic reason why people want to become doctors, is because they want to help people, and they feel the best way they can do that (with the skills and expertise they have), is by becoming a doctor. Now obviously thats not the only reason why a person would want to become a doctor. Personally: one of my parents had a near death exp, and because of the doctors at the hospital, my mom is still alive.
Reply 11
Original post by sliceofthepi
Thing is though, most people I hear who say that have no idea what they have to do to get it. Seems a shame really :/

Exactly my point. I feel that my classmates are ignorant to the actual reality of the admissions process :/

Yeh, I don't know why everyone doesn't just do that instead.
Reply 13
Original post by R4INBOW
Well the title is self-explanatory. I'm just genuinely curious as to why a medicinal degree is so popular? Is it because of the pay or the job prospects? The self-satisfaction that the job brings? I'm currently in Year 11, and already I'm beginning to hear classmates say that they want to study medicine at Oxbridge. Don't get me wrong, even I'm fond of the idea; I just want to know why there's such heavy competition for the course. And thb most of them don't even know what they're getting into anyway :rolleyes:. So tell me forum, why did you choose medicine.

EDIT: Since I'm getting negged, let me just establish something. When I said "them" i meant my classmates. I'm not trying to disrespect any hopeful medics out there.

It has a clear pathway to follow from study to employment which those who like security tend to find re-assuring. The job has status. The job pays well. If you are someone who is good at chemistry and biology it offers a career outside research or labs that is interesting in terms of applying your knowledge.

Some people also want to help others and do something worthwhile. Other careers that do this are being systematically undermined by the government who have made public service seem like a crime committed to de-fraud the state of money! However medicine has remained untouched by this so far and is still considered a worthwhile thing to do.

:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by R4INBOW
So tell me forum, why did you choose medicine?

I genuinely did it because I really want to help people and learn more about science. The pay didn't really account for much when I decided. Plus, it's an exciting career... Not just stuck in front of a desk
Reply 15
Original post by MarshmallowBob
well i think the most generic reason why people want to become doctors, is because they want to help people, and they feel the best way they can do that (with the skills and expertise they have), is by becoming a doctor. Now obviously thats not the only reason why a person would want to become a doctor. Personally: one of my parents had a near death exp, and because of the doctors at the hospital, my mom is still alive.

Though I remember something Florence Nightingale said. She was very annoyed that so many women were fighting to become doctors because the profession was already over-subscribed with excellent people and there was a desperate shortage of nurses. She thought that actually if someone really was driven by the desire to help they would go where they were most needed.

It seems much the same now with thousands of people applying to medicine and other parts of health care or social work struggling to get quality applicants. So I do believe status and money also play a huge part in the drive people have to enter medicine.

Original post by catoswyn
Though I remember something Florence Nightingale said. She was very annoyed that so many women were fighting to become doctors because the profession was already over-subscribed with excellent people and there was a desperate shortage of nurses. She thought that actually if someone really was driven by the desire to help they would go where they were most needed.

It seems much the same now with thousands of people applying to medicine and other parts of health care or social work struggling to get quality applicants. So I do believe status and money also play a huge part in the drive people have to enter medicine.

I knew the nurse thing would come up :smile: and i wrote a nice paragraph why not a nurse, but i thought it was too cliche. so i erased it. no doubt there is a nurse crises. Money and status do play a role.
ive honestly considered becoming a nurse. :colondollar:
Reply 17
Fascination about the human body, how it works, why it doesnt work, hows its made.
The idea of being able to use your medical knowledge to save a life.
Job security and stability.
And the added perks if you are successful.
Reply 18
Original post by MarshmallowBob
I knew the nurse thing would come up :smile: and i wrote a nice paragraph why not a nurse, but i thought it was too cliche. so i erased it. no doubt there is a nurse crises. Money and status do play a role.
ive honestly considered becoming a nurse. :colondollar:

Its fine :smile: They are different skill bases anyway so her point isn't quite right. Someone may be much more suited to work based on diagnosis or surgery for instance or some doctors would make abysmal nurses as they lack the patience or communication skills.

She was an unusual woman anyway... I'm not quite sure we can all live up to her high ideals all the time in reality!

Good luck with all your plans

I'm not sure what other people think, but I'm totally set on applying to do Medicine as I genuinely want to help people, not just in the NHS, but everywhere; the money doesn't really mean anything to me, I'm more excited at the prospect of being in a field where your work is greatly respected, and you receive huge job satisfaction in return.
The only reason I didn't want to go into nursing is because much of the time spent on the ward is filling out paper work - a friend of mine had work experience, and she was completely taken aback by the lack of patient contact involved in nursing - whereas patient contact is the most important aspect of being a doctor.
If I could work for an organisation like MSF, I'd be happy :smile: