University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
Original post by Tom_L
Hey :smile:
I've just firmed Southampton and i was wondering if there was any useful info you would give to Soton freshers, and any advice on accommodation?
Thanks

Don't worry if you find freshers is s*** or disappointing. Myself, and a lot of people I've spoken to thought freshers week nights were seriously overrated and overpriced compared to most of the amazing nights you have during the rest of the year at jesters/sobar etc. Seriously, I remember the first night literally crammed in the cube with 1000s of others, waiting ages for an overpriced drink, and dancing average music. I didn't get a jcr pack originally too, found it cheaper as loads sold single tickets through fb...

Just a way for SUSU to make some money, fair enough I suppose, and I appreciate their effort, but it's pretty expensive and the hype just makes it feel worse. I decided not go to the £20something ball but apparently it was s*** too. Sorry for being negative haha. You may have an amazing time....

And cliched, but seriously make an effort to join or try out as many socs as possible...especially if you're not in a flat which is close or gets along that well ha. There's some awesome groups:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I've applied for monte accomodation bu thave heard mixed views about these halls. can someone help please? :smile: thanks in advance, stressed! x
Reply 7322
Original post by fnm
Don't worry if you find freshers is s*** or disappointing. Myself, and a lot of people I've spoken to thought freshers week nights were seriously overrated and overpriced compared to most of the amazing nights you have during the rest of the year at jesters/sobar etc. Seriously, I remember the first night literally crammed in the cube with 1000s of others, waiting ages for an overpriced drink, and dancing average music. I didn't get a jcr pack originally too, found it cheaper as loads sold single tickets through fb...

Just a way for SUSU to make some money, fair enough I suppose, and I appreciate their effort, but it's pretty expensive and the hype just makes it feel worse. I decided not go to the £20something ball but apparently it was s*** too. Sorry for being negative haha. You may have an amazing time....

And cliched, but seriously make an effort to join or try out as many socs as possible...especially if you're not in a flat which is close or gets along that well ha. There's some awesome groups:biggrin:

Wow, you're a ray of sunshine..
It's Roger the Wessex Lane cat's birthday today :h:
Original post by Tom_L
Hey :smile:
I've just firmed Southampton and i was wondering if there was any useful info you would give to Soton freshers, and any advice on accommodation?
Thanks

This thread (and the links in it) may be very helpful to you!
Reply 7325
Original post by cloop
Wow, you're a ray of sunshine..

I know it sounds really ungrateful, but honestly, when you're paying that amount of money for it I'd rather give my honest opinion. I mean most people will say they're amazing anyway.
I would generally agree with the grumpy seeming person. Freshers ball was overrated and expensive. In retrospect I wouldn't have bothered going.
I loved my freshers' week, but it wasn't necessarily for the events, more for the fact that I was away from home with a big bunch of cool new people with whom i could get drunk. Freshers' week activities are fun, they kind of facilitate the experience.
I think it really depends on what type of person you are. I find that I have much better nights out with a big group of people who I am friends with because the experience of being with them is the fun part rather than the dancing/drinking etc.. That's why I've had much better nights out during my degree when compared to freshers week. In fact, freshers week was quite unspecial for me - I can only remember one bit of it and that was when my parents dropped me off and drove away and I felt sad that they were going but excited alll at the same time!
Reply 7329
I think telling someone not to get Freshers tickets is a terrible idea! I had a great time, but that isn't even the point, if I hadn't gone I would have been stuck at home alone. Freshers is about meeting people, getting to know your housemates and making friends that will be your friends for the next 3/4/5 years. Even if you don't enjoy some of the nights out.. Imagine if you hadn't gone on them!
If my flatmates hadn't persuaded me to get involved in Freshers Week (I'd bought a few tickets, but not many) I'd be a totally different person to what I am now.

I really, really enjoyed it.
I AGREE WITH chloe
Reply 7332
I ended up selling all bar one of the tickets I'd bought online before I arrived as none of my flatmates had any tickets. I did manage to sell them for the cost price so it wasn't a waste of money as such but it could have been.... It's hard because you want to go to the same things that your flat are going to which considering you haven't met them when you buy the tickets is quite hard.
It's definitely pot luck whether your mystery flatmates will want to go out, but I went with buying most of the tickets anyway, as it happens I was lucky and they'd all done the same and were very sociable, but if you find they're more keen on doing other things in the evenings then they're easy enough to sell on, the freshers group for your halls gets filled with posts asking if anyone has any spare tickets.
Reply 7334
Original post by hothedgehog
I would generally agree with the grumpy seeming person. Freshers ball was overrated and expensive. In retrospect I wouldn't have bothered going.

Exactly, that's all I heard before going, from people on here and around, and that's all I heard from the people this year that did go.

Original post by cloop
Freshers is about meeting people, getting to know your housemates and making friends that will be your friends for the next 3/4/5 years. Even if you don't enjoy some of the nights out.. Imagine if you hadn't gone on them!

I agree, and the best times happened back at halls with everyone mingling and just getting drunk and just exploring during the week. But the events themselves were disappointing for the money they cost. That's all I'm saying, I really don't feel they were worth the money and I do feel that maybe every year freshers just get ripped off (not just here). And for these new nervous naive people I think it's kinda unfair.

I guess someone's got to be a moany git:frown: maybe it's because I went clubbing a lot before uni...idk.
Original post by fnm

I agree, and the best times happened back at halls with everyone mingling and just getting drunk and just exploring during the week. But the events themselves were disappointing for the money they cost. That's all I'm saying, I really don't feel they were worth the money and I do feel that maybe every year freshers just get ripped off (not just here). And for these new nervous naive people I think it's kinda unfair.

I guess someone's got to be a moany git:frown: maybe it's because I went clubbing a lot before uni...idk.

lol, it's just that cloop's been pretty heavily involved in organising freshers' events, and although i agree that the freshers' ball was a letdown, i do think the freshers' week events are worth the £20 or whatever it is for the halls pack. Bearing in mind how much work it can be to organise a fortnight's worth of events for (in Monte's case) over 1,000 freshers, plus all the promo work that goes with it, I think it's a pretty good deal. Whereas I agree that some of the best times of the year will be outside of that week, I think it's what lights the fuse to make sure the rest of the year rockets...(weird fireworks analogy but you get whats I be meaning)

I probably wouldn't enjoy FW as much as I did first time around though, but that's just because I'm 22 and a miserable soon-to-be graduate
Reply 7336
You have always been miserable <3

When do you leave Jaytz? Would very much like to see you before you run off!
Reply 7338
I imagine you won't be running off as quickly as Jonny will Marcus :tongue:
Reply 7339
Original post by jonnythemoose
lol, it's just that cloop's been pretty heavily involved in organising freshers' events, and although i agree that the freshers' ball was a letdown, i do think the freshers' week events are worth the £20 or whatever it is for the halls pack. Bearing in mind how much work it can be to organise a fortnight's worth of events for (in Monte's case) over 1,000 freshers, plus all the promo work that goes with it, I think it's a pretty good deal. Whereas I agree that some of the best times of the year will be outside of that week, I think it's what lights the fuse to make sure the rest of the year rockets...(weird fireworks analogy but you get whats I be meaning)

Yeah that's true, I guess you don't really think about how much has been put into it in terms of promo stuff etc...
Sorry for making this mega happy thread a bit depressing, exams now too so I'm definitely going to keep away ha...good luck everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest