The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
afaik it isnt illegal if you're driving without an MOT to a pre-arranged MOT appointment
Reply 2
technically, i think you are allowed up to a week to get to a garage with an appointment.
you sir have broken the law.
Reply 3
allyourbase
afaik it isnt illegal if you're driving without an MOT to a pre-arranged MOT appointment

Ah thats good. It will be 2 months overdue!!
Reply 4
legal only if ur driving DIRECTLY to a pre-arranged, verifiable appointment for the MOT.

otherwise its illegal & a £1000 fine.
Reply 5
Yep, it's gotta be pre-arranged. You can't just pull up and THEN arrange the MOT.
And check that your insurance still covers you without an MOT and check where you are allowed to park the car - not sure if it's allowed to be parked on the street without an MOT? Why can't you get it MOT'd while you are at Uni? You can't even drive home first before going to the MOT centre, as has been said, the car is only legal to be driven on the road if it is taking a journey directly to an MOT test centre for a pre-booked test.
Reply 7
I think they also introduced a requirement that it has to be within a certain distance, too. Stops you buying a car in Edinburgh with no MOT then hoofing it down to Cornwall under the premise that you will get one when you arrive!
Having said that, I know someone who bought a Triumph GT6 in northern Ireland and drove it to Leeds with a pre booked MoT. Perhaps he was just jammy.
Reply 8
Its fine as long as its pre-booked, you have tax and insurance.
Reply 9
If your MOT has expired, your road tax and insurance will be invalid unless you are driving the car to a pre-booked MOT appointment.

Therefore your vehicle must not be kept or otherwise used at any time on the public road. This includes being parked on the pavement outside your house.

Marcus
threeportdrift
And check that your insurance still covers you without an MOT and check where you are allowed to park the car - not sure if it's allowed to be parked on the street without an MOT? Why can't you get it MOT'd while you are at Uni? You can't even drive home first before going to the MOT centre, as has been said, the car is only legal to be driven on the road if it is taking a journey directly to an MOT test centre for a pre-booked test.

If there is no MOT, you are only insured when taking the vehicle to a pre-booked test. You are not even allowed to have it parked on the street, since it won't be insured.

Marcus
neon raver
technically, i think you are allowed up to a week to get to a garage with an appointment.
you sir have broken the law.

As far as I'm aware, there is no grace period, you're not taxed or insured (at the very minimum third party and they'll claw back costs from you if they have to pay out) if you drive at any time without your MOT. Unless you're driving it to an MOT centre, and if you're stopped, can show details of an appointment.

Lucky not to have been pulled, in some areas of the country the police operate ANPR cameras which automatically read your numberplate and cross reference your car with (amongst others) the MOT database, DVLA tax records and the MID.

Marcus
Reply 12
The car is at HOME and i am at UNI. It has not been driven since the MOT expired and i live on a farm and therefore it is not on the road. Seem ok?
Jimbo49
The car is at HOME and i am at UNI. It has not been driven since the MOT expired and i live on a farm and therefore it is not on the road. Seem ok?

Yes, as long as the date on the tax disc has not passed.

Marcus
Reply 14
I drove mine arround for about 3 months without MOT when I forgot it ran out. Oops. No long term issues though, just MOT'd it asap and no questions asked. :smile: The chances of you being caught are slim at best.
Reply 15
^ And you know this how?

Going on only yourself as a sample?
jus drive without MOT no1 cares or will know/
Reply 17
Doesn't sound good to me, but in saying that I know someone who drove his car for the best part of two months without an MOT.
Reply 18
Init bruv.

-_-

Seriously, you must have road tax at all times. This is easily checked on the DVLA database they can visit and fine you or spot you using ANPR cameras. Road tax cannot be bought without an MOT. Without tax your car must be declared SORN and not parked or used on the road. If it is not declared SORN you will be issued with an automatic £80 fine. Growing the longer you don't pay it. You will have to pay for road tax. The DVLA check monthly. The DVLA/Police also operating clamping schemes for untaxed vehicles on public roads. Your car can be clamped, taken away and impounded and then crushed. You will have to pay release fees which grow for every day it is stored.

Equally you must have insurance at all times. Insurance will not necessarily be made invalid by not having an MOT, providing there isn't a clause stating as such in your policy and providing you can prove that the vehicle was road worthy at the time of the accident (service records, photos, etc). Driving without insurance will be easily spotted by Police ANPR checks that are becoming increasingly common. I spot one at least once a month. Police now have the power to seize uninsured vehicles and are seizing around 1500 each week. The same clamping, impounding and eventual crushing rules apply. Along with the same storage fees and need for you to display proof of insurance before collection. You will automatically receive a £200 fine and six points on your license.

You need to have an MOT on any car over three years old that will be used on the road. The only exception is when driving one to a test center for a pre-booked test. If the police stop you, you'll want proof of the appointment. Of course if your tax has run out you can also drive without tax in these circumstances. Driving without an MOT the rest of the time can result in a small fine, growing larger if you ignore it. No points will be given and as said your insurance can remain valid. Police will easily spot whether you have an MOT certificate with ANPR cameras.
alanmcg
Init bruv.

-_-

Seriously, you must have road tax at all times. This is easily checked on the DVLA database they can visit and fine you or spot you using ANPR cameras. Road tax cannot be bought without an MOT. Without tax your car must be declared SORN and not parked or used on the road. If it is not declared SORN you will be issued with an automatic £80 fine. Growing the longer you don't pay it. You will have to pay for road tax. The DVLA check monthly. The DVLA/Police also operating clamping schemes for untaxed vehicles on public roads. Your car can be clamped, taken away and impounded and then crushed. You will have to pay release fees which grow for every day it is stored.

Equally you must have insurance at all times. Insurance will not necessarily be made invalid by not having an MOT, providing there isn't a clause stating as such in your policy and providing you can prove that the vehicle was road worthy at the time of the accident (service records, photos, etc). Driving without insurance will be easily spotted by Police ANPR checks that are becoming increasingly common. I spot one at least once a month. Police now have the power to seize uninsured vehicles and are seizing around 1500 each week. The same clamping, impounding and eventual crushing rules apply. Along with the same storage fees and need for you to display proof of insurance before collection. You will automatically receive a £200 fine and six points on your license.

You need to have an MOT on any car over three years old that will be used on the road. The only exception is when driving one to a test center for a pre-booked test. If the police stop you, you'll want proof of the appointment. Of course if your tax has run out you can also drive without tax in these circumstances. Driving without an MOT the rest of the time can result in a small fine, growing larger if you ignore it. No points will be given and as said your insurance can remain valid. Police will easily spot whether you have an MOT certificate with ANPR cameras.

All insurance companies have a clause saying that you must have a valid MOT and you won't be covered unless you are taking the car to an MOT test. I've not seen any that haven't, and I'm not aware of any, but I'm welcome to be proved wrong with a reference.

In any case, invalid or not, insurance must pay out if you have an accident, but third party claims only and you may find them recovering the money from yourself.

Marcus

Latest