The Student Room Group

Reheating food..... (takeaway)

To cut a long story short - parents left me a ready meal, it's full of shrimps which make me heave :p:

Anyway, can food from a takeaway (Chinese) be reheated the next day? Like spring rolls, soup, leftovers etc? Or am I going to give myself a nasty cause of food poisoning? :s-smilie:
no its fine, just make sure its piping hot. and don't reheat a second time.

(tbh I'd probs eat it cold too)
Reply 2
I've never had a problem. Apparently, you're not meant to reheat rice.
Reply 3
store correctly in the fridge, heat it correctly until it is piping hot throughout, and remember, rice is one of the leading causes of food poisoning, so get it straight in the fridge, and nice and hot when you reheat.
Reply 4
ok thanks everyone! :smile:

If no one sees me round tomorrow, assume it didn't go well :wink:
I do it your not really supposed to but im still alive
Reply 6
lodzinski
store correctly in the fridge, heat it correctly until it is piping hot throughout, and remember, rice is one of the leading causes of food poisoning, so get it straight in the fridge, and nice and hot when you reheat.
Well, there we go, I didn't know that. Do you know why that is (am actually interested)?

Most things seem fine cold. Especially pizza and kebab meat.
Reply 7
Tootles
Well, there we go, I didn't know that. Do you know why that is (am actually interested)?

Courtesy of http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/ (wow, a government website that's actually proving to be useful, that's a surprise :p:)

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

:smile:
Reply 8
Dalimyr
Courtesy of http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/ (wow, a government website that's actually proving to be useful, that's a surprise )
Ah, thanks. :smile:
Reply 9
Tootles

It is, my caffeine Fuelled friend, due to Bacillus cereus spores which are present in uncooked rice, and can survive the cooking process - leave rice standing at a temperature above that of a fridge for a reasonable length of time, and these bacteria can quickly produce toxins that will not denature from the reheating process. Thus, it is vital to cool it down quickly and effectively, and reheat, as with anything, until piping hot, as well as not to store, even in a fridge, for more than a day, at most two. While I have never had a problem with Rice, many cases of 'Delhi belly' or curry related food poisoning are not related to the meat, but the rice, if say, cooked, then stored in a nice warm kitchen for too long, producing these toxins and causing food poisoning.
Reply 10
neillya1
To cut a long story short - parents left me a ready meal, it's full of shrimps which make me heave :p:

Anyway, can food from a takeaway (Chinese) be reheated the next day? Like spring rolls, soup, leftovers etc? Or am I going to give myself a nasty cause of food poisoning? :s-smilie:

I think it can. It's only one night in the fridge, and people eat stuff after two or three days, so I guess it should be ok.

Try heating it in a saucepan, not the microwave, I just cannot heat any leftover takeaway food decently in it, it goes too soft or had cold spots so it is never piping hot. (This morning before I started fasting I had some chips leftover from yesterday, when I heated them in the microwave, though they were hot, they had cold spots).
Reply 11
yep, should be fine, just take out the meat first then put it back into the sauce, as you don't know how many times it's been reheated,
I didn't know the rice thing. Cold chinese is good though!
Reply 13
I guess it's fine, if you're not fussy. :smile:
is safe to re heat donna 2 days old from a take away

Quick Reply

Latest