The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Word Limit.

I've finished my personal statement a week ago, and i'll send my UCAS application tomorrow. I think i have a well-rounded personal statement, as i have both academic and non-academic information in it, but the problem is i don't feel like it's the best i can write due to the character limit that it is stated in the UCAS page. I have exactly 3999 characters and the limit is 4000. Are they too strict if you write more than 4000? Or UCAS won't send off your application if your personal statement is more than 4000 characters? Btw I am applying to the LSE where your personal statement plays a key role.
Reply 1
I think you reach the word limit and you aren't allowed to type anymore.
Reply 2
UCAS won't allow you to go over the 4000 limit. And what may be 4000 characters and 47 lines on your word processor may not be the same when you paste it into your UCAS form. I ended up with 3700 characters on my one. :s-smilie:
I don't think it will fit in the box. Basically if its over 4000 when you copy it in it cuts it off. Either that or it won't let you send it.
I had the same problem and remember it was impossible for me to send it off. I can't remember which one it was though but you have to have it at 4000 or lower.
As above, if you enter more than 4000 characters (including spaces), UCAS will just chop the excess off, which won't look good. So careful. Also note that somehow UCAS counts characters different to Microsoft Word, so you might be slightly over the limit according to UCAS but not according to MS Word.. just be careful.
Reply 5
KyriakosCy
I've finished my personal statement a week ago, and i'll send my UCAS application tomorrow. I think i have a well-rounded personal statement, as i have both academic and non-academic information in it, but the problem is i don't feel like it's the best i can write due to the character limit that it is stated in the UCAS page. I have exactly 3999 characters and the limit is 4000. Are they too strict if you write more than 4000? Or UCAS won't send off your application if your personal statement is more than 4000 characters? Btw I am applying to the LSE where your personal statement plays a key role.

It won't let you put it in the box; it'll keep saying it's over the limit until it's within the limit. Me and my mate have just spent 50 minutes trying to cut out one line!
Reply 6
:s-smilie: so there's a chance that i'm already over the limit as my personal statement is exactly 3999 characters! oh crap!
KyriakosCy
:s-smilie: so there's a chance that i'm already over the limit as my personal statement is exactly 3999 characters! oh crap!

If UCAS says it's 3999 characters then it's 3999 characters. It's only if you're judging this by MS Word's word count that you have to be careful.
Reply 8
secretmessages
If UCAS says it's 3999 characters then it's 3999 characters. It's only if you're judging this by MS Word's word count that you have to be careful.

It's from the MS Word Count..:o:
KyriakosCy
It's from the MS Word Count..:o:

Paste it into the UCAS personal statement form and see what it says then. Make sure it doesn't cut anything off the end too. You don't need to submit it, just see how many characters it tells you it is, and work from there. It might be fine, but you do have to be careful.
KyriakosCy

almost certainly.
Make sure you include spaces as characters. I completely forgot that when I wrote mine!

Latest

Trending

Trending