The Student Room Group

Goodenough College - who's going/ application advise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nycarter
Anyone got an offer from Goodenough College 2011/12?

I applied in June, but I got no news from the college, so I am a bit worried...

I also applied in June and it has been a month and no notifications yet. It is still early considering we still have the month of August to await space.
What are you going to study?
Reply 41
Original post by nk121
I also applied in June and it has been a month and no notifications yet. It is still early considering we still have the month of August to await space.
What are you going to study?

Hi, nk121!

Well, last year's applicant said that they got an offer a month later in July so I was worried, but as you say, it's early. So I will wait!

Btw, I am going to study Classics (MPhil/PhD) at King's. What are you going to study?
Reply 42
Hello guys! I submitted my applcation for Goodenough college on Tuesday, pretty late.. I read in the previous posts that if you are accepted you'll receive a reply within a month.. I also applied to UCL halls and they said I should receive a response by mid August.. Just wanted to say I'm really stressed out about the accommodation!! :eek: Good luck!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by nasia

Original post by nasia
Hello guys! I submitted my applcation for Goodenough college on Tuesday, pretty late.. I read in the previous posts that if you are accepted you'll recieve a reply within a month.. I also applied to UCL halls and they said I should recieve a response by mid August.. Just wanted to say I'm really stressed out about the accommodation!! :eek: Good luck!!

Hi, today I got an email saying I was rejected. The office says the availability of rooms are half this year, according to the refurbishment. I hope you will be selected!
Reply 44
I'm sorry to hear that.. Do you have any alternatives for accommodation? I hope you'll find somthing nice and comfy! When did you send the application?
Reply 45
Original post by nasia
I'm sorry to hear that.. Do you have any alternatives for accommodation? I hope you'll find somthing nice and comfy! When did you send the application?

Thank you for your consideration:smile: Well actually, I was offered a place at Lillian Penson Hall near Paddington. So, I will be studying there for a year.

Btw, I applied on 16th June, and got reply on 29th July. Let me hear when you are offered! Good luck to you!
Reply 46
Thank you! I doubt I have any chances! we'll survive! :smile:
Reply 47
I also applied to Goodenough College, I submitted my application on the 27th June using the new online application. I havent heard anything back yet.
-L
Reply 48
been told that places will be allotted by Sept.

is anyone actually living there now, would like to hear what you have top say about the place.
Reply 49
I still havent heard anything. Has anybody who applied online been accepted/rejected?
-L
Reply 50
Hi all, to answer some of the questions here: my application was received by mail on July 6 and I just heard back today (Aug 30) with an offer of acceptance. So it may take a bit longer...

I wish I could see what the rooms looked like, but I've heard very good things about student life here and an alumni was adamant about staying at Goodneough College. Only iffy part is the washrooms, which I'm a bit worried about. But everything else should more than make up for it!
Hi everyone!

I just got accepted into Goodenough. I didn't really go through the entire application process as I applied through a separate bursary. But I did hear from a friend that they are taking a bit longer to process the applications this year, citing the lesser number of rooms available. So just hang in there!
Reply 52
Original post by pk007
yes they do, I applied in June and when I informed them I was offered a place from U of L they offerred me a room, and will be receiving the formal offer within the next few weeks. most people eat catered food which is why they dont have enough kitchens (or so it seems). but Im taking the chance bc the community atmosphere looks great

What is the price for the meals then?
Reply 53
Original post by Wybo
@Everyone. I called them as BetsyGirl suggested, and they told me that they were a bit behind at sending out the offer-documents. I received them by e-mail (so happy!) and sent them back last week. I arrived today, and am actually typing this from my room in GN College.

All in all it looks like a good place, and from what I've experienced so far I'm really happy to be here, and not in some community-less flat like the ones offered by King's College London (my uni).

Wybo

Dear Wybo

I will be studying medicine at King's (I'm already enrolled) and am considering to apply to goodenough for 2012 september bcoz it looks seriously good from the website and forums but a few points are still suspect...could you please help based on your experience there?

1) The bathrooms/toilets and ratio-to-students dont seem to be that great...could you comment on how many students typically share a bathroom/toilet? would it be a good idea to apply for the more expensive new rooms at william goodenough house, all of which have en-suite facilities?
2) and if I want to cook for myself, which is the better option between London House and Willy G house in terms of kitchen facilities? also, how expensive is the catered food compared to other student halls? Can I pay-as-I-buy or do I compulsorily need to enrol into a meal program for a full year?
3) Also, I get the sneaky feeling that all the photographs available are of London House!!....so could you say whether William Goodenough House is as great in terms of looks/the spaces, as well as student life?

I'll be really grateful! Thanks
Reply 54
Does anyone know how hard it is to have visitors stay over if you're at Goodenough College - would it be a problem for example to have your girlfriend visit for a couple of weeks?
subscribing
Reply 56
Sorry Corinna, don't quite follow
no, this just means that I am posting in order to get notifications when there is an update, so I am "subscribing" to the thread :tongue:
I am also interested in knowing about visiting policies as I 'd like my bf to be visiting me. I considered applying for the couples' accommodation option, there is one which costs as much as single ensuite but there are only 2 rooms at that price so I would probably end up getting a flat which I cannot afford.
Original post by *Corinna*
no, this just means that I am posting in order to get notifications when there is an update, so I am "subscribing" to the thread :tongue:
I am also interested in knowing about visiting policies as I 'd like my bf to be visiting me. I considered applying for the couples' accommodation option, there is one which costs as much as single ensuite but there are only 2 rooms at that price so I would probably end up getting a flat which I cannot afford.

Shame they don't do a 2 bed flat for friends :wink:

ETS: just looked at their prices for next year. HOW MUCH? I know the location's fantastic but :eek:
Original post by apotoftea
Shame they don't do a 2 bed flat for friends :wink:

ETS: just looked at their prices for next year. HOW MUCH? I know the location's fantastic but :eek:

I know, I know, it's insane! But they have this large double bed room which is not that bad (£800 pm) for two people, you know? On top of that, they have some scholarships and I was thinking to apply just in case, I know its unlikely but you never know. Tbh, these are the prices in most central locations. I am trying to come up with a budget basically, and Egham is also very expensive. The Victorian Houses are cheap, but if they put me in Runnymede this is £6,500 for the year. I calculated another £50 pm for tickets to visit London, it comes up to £7,100. This is not so much more expensive than living in one of the London dorms where you pay around £650 per month (£7,800 per year) so I decided if I don't get the RSA position which would make my accommodation at Egham significantly cheaper to try for London dorms and also look for flats/houses. A friend of mine will most likely be in London so we can look for a 2 bedroom flat or something. Have you decided to move to London too? If so, and you need room-mates, we might be available (won't know till July, but that's OK cause most private properties are not announced early anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending