The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by jokosor
:biggrin: seriously, if you enjoyed S1 and S2 then you can make it. Last year people dropped S3 for M2 and M3, it's that bad. I still have nightmares from S1...

Ohh LOL, you're the complete opposite of me then I see :P
Reply 241
Original post by intellectual1
The examiners reports cite how they're seeing an ever increasing number of candidates for the Winter session, with almost all resitting. M1 is one of the units that is most often a resit alongside C4 to ensure an overall A or A* grade respectively.

Most of the centres only sit the exams in the Summer session, so this Winter session really should'nt make you too depressed. I found it rather amusing and disturbing of the candidates in the exam hall simply turning the pages in their scripts...or simply sitting there are staring at their papers.

60 or 65 for an A grade?

M1 would not really matter too much if you were going for an A*

the vast majority of centres do one module in Jan
Reply 242
Original post by POWW!
For part B in the moments question I didn't divide by 3 so my answer was 17/4 mg and not 17/12 mg
How many marks would I lose for that?
Oh and on the acceleration time graph I had my T value wrong from previous part so I labelled my time axis wrong would I still be able to get full marks?
One last thing in the last part of the suvat question I added the times I got instead of minusing them I would only lose one mark rite?
Thanks

prob 3
prob
prob
Reply 243
That paper was one of the most boring 1 and a half hours of my life. I contained absolutely nothing that actually required you to think. :tongue: If A levels are supposed to be getting harder - then i really dont think that paper was channeling this spirit. My vote is on grade boundaries being very high.
Reply 244
Original post by soldiersixteen
If i did that and then subtracted 76 from 180, would I get any marks?

you would get all of them, as you understood which angle was required and gave a correct method leading to the correct solution

however, without 180 -

all marks are lost because no correct method is given
Reply 245
Original post by jokosor
Hey Arsey, who are you exactly? I'm quite curious because you basically go through every single exam.

I'm Arsey

and yes I do
Reply 246
Original post by Arsey
the T and 6 bit will be ignored

you should get a method mark for the correct suvat equation being applied; you may get a further mark for correctly calculating the new Fmax

Original post by Arsey
S2 and C4 iirc were both 69 for an A in Jan last year. Doubt it will be as high as that mind.

Cheers. And I was talking about M1, as far as I know it's never been 69?
I'm so angry with myself! On the very last question I worked out time instead of distance!!! What an idiot!!! Out of the 5 marks for that question, how many do you think are for the final suvat? 3? I got the deceleration right, I just didn't do what the question asked lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 248
Original post by Arsey
I'm Arsey

and yes I do

Keeping the secrecy ehh? Nothing escapes Holmes :colone:
Reply 249
regarding boundaries, it was 64 for an A last Jan. This paper was significantly easier....
Reply 250
Original post by icedragon
Cheers. And I was talking about M1, as far as I know it's never been 69?

67 highest ever to date for an A in M1
Original post by Arsey
M1 would not really matter too much if you were going for an A*

the vast majority of centres do one module in Jan

Hey I don't think you saw my question about units :colondollar:
Are incorrect units penalised ? I think instead of km/h I wrote m/s on the vectors q...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 252
Original post by jokosor
Keeping the secrecy ehh? Nothing escapes Holmes :colone:

Eamonn? Pies certainly don't
Reply 253
But we don't know how many people ****ed up that exam......seems like quite few screwed this one up! Also June 2011 was easier than jan 2009 and grade boundaries were 60 for an A.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 254
Original post by Arsey
Eamonn? Pies certainly don't

:rofl:

I'm abandoning this case!
Original post by Arsey
regarding boundaries, it was 64 for an A last Jan. This paper was significantly easier....

so what would be your prediction? would you say that this was the easiest M1 paper to date?
Reply 256
Original post by moonie9995
I'm so angry with myself! On the very last question I worked out time instead of distance!!! What an idiot!!! Out of the 5 marks for that question, how many do you think are for the final suvat? 3? I got the deceleration right, I just didn't do what the question asked lol

lol I did the exact same thing!
Reply 257
Original post by yahhhhhh
But we don't know how many people ****ed up that exam......seems like quite few screwed this one up! Also June 2011 was easier than jan 2009 and grade boundaries were 60 for an A.

You will get a national picture when exam reports are out.
32.8% of students hit 80UMS or more on Jun 2011
32.6% of students hit 80UMS or more on Jan 2009

Observing trends on this site and what your mates did is not an indication of the national picture. People who have stated they have screwed up here are either being hard on themselves and will fall into the 32.8/6% or they will make up the other 67.2/67.4%

The paper, bar 5 marks at the end, was as straightforward as you are ever likely to get which is not ideal for many good students.
Reply 258
do you lose marks if you did the graph in pencil?
Reply 259
Hey Arsey (or anyone else for that matter)..

I got the answer in your mark scheme for 4c originally, but when I went back through at the end and re-did it, I got a different answer which I kept. So if you could please advise me what is wrong with this method that'd be much appreciated..

Taking moments about B.

CW Moments:
(RD)(d)

ACW Moments:
(mg)(7d/2) + (5mg/2)(5d/2) = (7mgd/2) + (25mgd/4) = 39mgd/4.

Therefore..
dRD = 39mgd/4.
RD = 39mg/4 = 95.55m.

Latest