The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
Original post by Metastasis
I just checked my email and got an offer from Newcastle. So happy! :smile: I'm an international... Interview on 1st of Feb.

Also, my offer is conditional despite me having obtained A level grades from last year. Also they mentioned I've to take IELTS which the other unis do not require... Should I email them to ask if I could be exempted from it?

(My heart's still pounding... All the best to those who are still waiting! Don't give up hope just yet :biggrin:)

Congratulations! :smile:

I am an EU student (so I'm not sure if this is the same with international students) and I had to take IELTS.

Is english your first language? If not I think you have to take IELTS. Although IELTS is the most common exam to take I guess, if you prefer I think they accept others such as TOEFL.

I think all unis (at least all the ones I researched) require it for people whose mother language is not english. The only thing that depends on the uni and on the course is the score you have to achieve.
Original post by Idonteven
Well done!! When did you hear? :smile:

The email came at 16:16 today. I was interviewed on 9th of December if it matters.

Original post by Tsunami2011
jheeze omo' naija!

Flygerian :cool:
Reply 1702
Anyone having problems replying to offers? It doesnt show the "reply to offers" button on my ucas, but it shows that i have a conditional offer sent on 5th of March.
Original post by yanb0706
Anyone having problems replying to offers? It doesnt show the "reply to offers" button on my ucas, but it shows that i have a conditional offer sent on 5th of March.

Are you still waiting for any answers to come back to you? I think you can only reply once you've had them all (or withdrawn from ones you are waiting for)
Reply 1704
Original post by islanders
Are you still waiting for any answers to come back to you? I think you can only reply once you've had them all (or withdrawn from ones you are waiting for)

oh thx=))) now i get it! yea still waiting for glasgow....but wanna firm newcaslte!!
Original post by MGA
Congratulations! :smile:

I am an EU student (so I'm not sure if this is the same with international students) and I had to take IELTS.

Is english your first language? If not I think you have to take IELTS. Although IELTS is the most common exam to take I guess, if you prefer I think they accept others such as TOEFL.

I think all unis (at least all the ones I researched) require it for people whose mother language is not english. The only thing that depends on the uni and on the course is the score you have to achieve.

Thanks! Yes it is actually, but the other unis have emailed to ask previously and I have shown them a GCE O level equivalent English certificate, which means that I would not have to take the IELTS.

I guess I'll just email Newcastle but they didn't send me an email with the offer, only a track update.
rejection :frown: looks like its a gap year for me!
Original post by i_hate_ucas

oh no! when did you here, just now? :frown:

Don't worry, you're not alone; just had my third rejection - from Leeds. Just waiting on Newcastle now but i thought my interview went terribly, so I'm expecting them to reject me. Starting thinking about a year out actually made me loads happier so i can try harder next year and actually deserve a place :biggrin: Already posted this song on Leeds thread but just want to spread some hope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADP65wbBUpc&ob=av3e

Why would someone neg this!?!?!?! Unlucky though, I am a re-ap, the chances are so much better second time round. Keep your head held high and be confident in taking a Gap year, they are really not that bad!

My gap year will be worse than yours considering i am now caught by the higher fees while all my friends are paying barely anything...
Anyone who's been lucky enough to get onto Newcastle's GEP Medicine Course, join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/240714759355503/

Good luck to everyone else waiting for offers, and congrats to those who already have, hope all goes well :smile:
At first glance, it's a "like" and "dislike" - I guess it's someone being empathetic?
Rejection: 2nd yr applicant! No offers so far & only 1 uni left otherwise goodbye medicine dream :'(
I was wondering if a current student would be able to tell me if you ever have anything timetabled on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm looking at buying Radiohead tickets on Friday for Saturday 6th October at the MEN Arena. So I wouldn't be at uni for that weekend. I just want to make sure that I will be able to go before I buy the tickets.

Has anyone else still not heard yet?
Original post by MSheekey

Me! :tongue:
Reply 1716
Hey guys just wondering, I told them during my interview my A Level results, which happen to have come out just the day before the interview. ( I sat the oct/nov 2011 session) So I've received a conditional offer, just wondering why it's not unconditional? CIE must have sent my results to them already? Or do they wanna see the "official certificate" to make sure? Anyone ? Appreciate your help thx :smile:)
Original post by yanb0706
Hey guys just wondering, I told them during my interview my A Level results, which happen to have come out just the day before the interview. ( I sat the oct/nov 2011 session) So I've received a conditional offer, just wondering why it's not unconditional? CIE must have sent my results to them already? Or do they wanna see the "official certificate" to make sure? Anyone ? Appreciate your help thx :smile:)

I have my A-level results. It stated as one of the conditions of the offer that they wanted certified confirmation of my results. Give the admissions team a call.
Reply 1718

me too!
Reply 1719

Yep, I haven't heard anything from any of my medical choices actually.

Quick Reply

Latest