The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

my laptop died a few days ago... hence hardly being on a computer. hopefully I will be able to save the laptop because i can't edit my dissertation on my desktop (due to dissertation being fancy in word 2007 and computer being all old) Only big plus side is my dissertation was never on my laptop and was always on USB.

Biggest piece of advice from laptop death, save you dissertation elsewhere!
Results and Discussion started today. Lets go!
Just Harvard referenced 38 citations in one go - took 45 mins! I knew I should have done it as I went.

Finished all three chapters and the introduction now. Already 500 words over and I still need to have enough for my conclusion - eek!

Next up: editing, redrafting and cutting :frown:
Reply 923
Just had an epiphany on how to structure my mess of ideas.
A bit late in the day BUT i think it's coming together :smile:
Panic is really started to set in now. It's a month until my deadline, I still have 10,000 words to write and some interviews to finish. Really freaking out. :frown: I can't sleep at night but then spend all day playing spider solitaire. Eek!
Reply 925
3 days ago I was having a nervous breakdown about this 2nd dissertation I'm writing.

Today, I turned it from a pile of crap into a master piece. Even though I was struggling, I kept at it and now it flows beautifully :biggrin: Done 3 days worth of work in 1 day and I can clearly see how I'm going to analyse it etc. Absolutely nailing it now. 3500 words left of my final essay at undergrad woo!

Never give up people! Keep at it! :smile:
Reply 926
oh my god... I have finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 927
Original post by .ACS.
oh my god... I have finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! :party2:
Oh noes, less than a month to go :frown: I still have four interviews to do and school holidays really hurt my dissertation progress - work gives me so many more hours and due to the fact that I am doing my dissertation based on an education topic it means I don't have access to school's over easter :smile:
Due in 10 days!!!! Todays task finish panicking and results/discussion got 4k to write up by the end of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm all done with my 15,000 word dissertation even though I have three weeks left. Just hope it was worth all the effort and time.
Original post by Mr Advice
I'm all done with my 15,000 word dissertation even though I have three weeks left. Just hope it was worth all the effort and time.

Well done! I bet you feel relieved now! :smile: I'm sure it'll be worth the effort :smile:
Reply 932
Original post by Mr Advice

Congrats! You deserve a drink to celebrate! :yep:
Reply 933
Congrats to everyone who's been awesome and finished/done other awesome stuff I can no longer remember! :awesome:

To everyone else - no more achievements today, I'm out of rep :colonhash:

I kid! Achieve away! :ahee:
Original post by amizzle91
Well done! I bet you feel relieved now! :smile: I'm sure it'll be worth the effort :smile:

Original post by Akkuz
Congrats! You deserve a drink to celebrate! :yep:

Yep, deffo relieved but started revision for exams so still relatively stressed. As for the drink, if it's a J20, then yep. :biggrin:
Reply 935
Original post by aeterno
Congrats to everyone who's been awesome and finished/done other awesome stuff I can no longer remember! :awesome:

To everyone else - no more achievements today, I'm out of rep :colonhash:

:rofl: It's that time of year when everyone finishes their dissertations :tongue:

Done half my second one now. :yeah: Getting slightly sick of it now though!
Reply 936
Original post by Akkuz
:rofl: It's that time of year when everyone finishes their dissertations :tongue:

Done half my second one now. :yeah: Getting slightly sick of it now though!

It's like those threads where there's so much funneh and then you find something that's awesomely funneh and whoooosh no more rep. It breaks my heart :emo:

:five: You go girl! :dance:

(What? You go guy just doesn't have the same ring to it :ninja:)
After all the worry about potentially having a rubbish and bare bibiliography, mine now stands at 43 items and I have plenty of references throughout :biggrin: I'm feeling better about that now!

One chapter and a tiny bit to go on the editing front, so hopefully finish all that by Friday and then just the conclusion to write! I'm still about 100-200 words over my limit at the moment though and still have the conclusion to add..issues...I have already cut out 1000s!!! Gah!
Reply 938
Original post by aeterno
It's like those threads where there's so much funneh and then you find something that's awesomely funneh and whoooosh no more rep. It breaks my heart :emo:

:five: You go girl! :dance:

(What? You go guy just doesn't have the same ring to it :ninja:)

Haha yeah. Don't think I have much repping power though :tongue: You have loads! I'll rep your opening post if I can..because at the moment it just has one neg :biggrin:

Go go go me! :dance:

My tutor just granted me an extension for my report because my exam timetable is horrific. Which means I have an extra 7-8 days to revise for exams and I have until the last day of term to hand in my report :woo:
(edited 11 years ago)
Watching this thread makes me dread going into the third year :frown: lool

Quick Reply

Latest