The Student Room Group

David Cameron to release tax returns.

Don't think anyone's raised the issue anywhere, but Cameron says he will release his tax returns.

What do people make of this move?

Graeme Archer argues in the Telegraph that "We shouldn’t have the right to see David Cameron’s tax return or anyone else’s".
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Actually voters haven't asked...

But it comes up for people who need developed vetting - the FCO, GCHQ ect

Also when people are investing in businesses its pretty frequently.

That said, it shouldn't be assumed all politicians should open up their books, next we'll be demanding to see their medical records. However, politicians should be instilling faith / giving enough assurance that it isn't necessary for them to be revealed like this.
Reply 2
I don't think it's really necessary in the grand scheme of things, it's a complete non-issue. I'd rather he devoted his complete attention to the nations finances instead of wasting time by jumping on a populist bandwagon and divulging his own. That being said, my apathy to the subject leaves me lacking a noteworthy opinion on the matter.
It's only become an issue after Boris Johnson decided to use the issue of tax being paid against Ken Livingstone as Ken's policy of cutting/freezing fares gained him support and lost Boris his poll lead. Instead of Boris campaigning on his record or ideas.

It detracts from the bigger tax avoiders and tax exiles, and companies paying very little corporation tax.

As a member of the TSR MHofC I'm not about to declare mine, though I will say that I have never used a company to reduce the amount of tax I pay.
Reply 4
It's common practice in many countries that you have to declare all your incomes and assets as well as whether you're a director or shareholder in any companies prior to taking up public office, it's also fairly usual to be made to declare if you're a beneficiary of any trust.

I'm not so interested in Cameron's income tax or that of any politician's....... more interested in that of their spouse and other immediate family members, that's where the real jackpot is.
Reply 5
I'm totally unhappy with all this. My tax affairs are my business and no one else should have the right to see them.
Reply 6
Original post by meenu89
I'm totally unhappy with all this. My tax affairs are my business and no one else should have the right to see them.

Well you're not someone make decisions on tax and public finance policy so no one would care.

While I don't necessarily think DC should feel obliged to release his tax returns I think there should be a much tougher policy on people/businesses avoiding tax. It'll boost public perception of him if he turns out to be paying all taxes expected and if others follow suit public opinion of politicians would increase in a time when they are seen by many as "out for themselves" and disconnected from normal people.

Ultimately politicians are currently asking most people in the UK to suffer austerity so I can see why the electorate may want to check they are paying their fair share
Reply 7
Original post by meenu89

Nobody has said they have the right to see them.

Nobody has even asked to see (directly) Camerons he's just decided to release them.

Depends how much you want to get reelected really.
Reply 8
Original post by Aramiss18
Well you're not someone make decisions on tax and public finance policy so no one would care.

I should have been clearer in my OP. Even if I was standing for public office, my taxes are a concern for me only.
Reply 9
Original post by meenu89
I should have been clearer in my OP. Even if I was standing for public office, my taxes are a concern for me only.

Which is fine if people trust you.

If they don't and you don't provide proof then fewer people would vote for you.

Which would be your risk to take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending