The Student Room Group

help with simple stuff electron config 1s2 etc

in GENERAL when your doing the electron config for lets say a positive ion the electrons are lost from the sub shell with the HIGHEST energy

I know that there is an exception to this with chromium and copper that prefer to loose an electron from the 4s before loosing them from anywhere else

However I was looking at some stuff at the Internet and found that this is not just true for copper and chromium but for all the transition metals <<< is that true? (or may I have understood something wrong)

only need to know how to do this stuff for Z=36 so if there are other complications beyond here don't tell me lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CasualSoul
in GENERAL when your doing the electron config for lets say a positive ion the electrons are lost from the sub shell with the HIGHEST energy

I know that there is an exception to this with chromium and copper that prefer to loose an electron from the 4s before loosing them from anywhere else

However I was looking at some stuff at the Internet and found that this is not just true for copper and chromium but for all the transition metals <<< is that true? (or may I have understood something wrong)

only need to know how to do this stuff for Z=36 so if there are other complications beyond here don't tell me lol

Transition metals fill the 4s before the 3d, but they actually lose the 4s before the 3d when they form an ion. So yes it is true.
Reply 2
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 obviously exception when its 4s1 and 4s2 this is before the 3d ok
Original post by CasualSoul

As mentioned by post #2

However, Chromium and Copper are exceptions as only one electron takes the 4s orbital so Cr = [Ar] 3d54s1 and Cu = [Ar] 3d104s1 as to achieve a more stable arrangement of lower energy.
E.g. in Cr; 6 unpaired electrons with lower repulsion.
Reply 4
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest