The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel ICT

Hi.
I'm quite worried about my ICT exam because I feel like I haven't been taught everything I need to know. My worries increased when I looked at past papers, because I can hardly answer any of the questions on the exam paper because we have not been taught them. (This was from two past papers, Nov. 2008/ and June.2010, so quite recent.)
Upon looking at my syllabus (which is quite vague) I can't really find what is in the exam papers and so then I thought perhaps the syllabus for these exam papers has changed since then, but it when I look at the different versions on the website, the syllabus' are from 2003 and 2009. The syllabus from 2003 had some of these questions on the 2011 past paper but being in 2010, the syllabus must have been from 2009. In the mock exam we did though, I got a high grade but i'm not sure if this is down to luck. This paper was from 2011 June.

In short really, (excusing my bad explanation) i'm not sure if I am learning everything I need because I cannot find some areas on my syllabus, but the 2010 paper must have been based off the 2009 syllabus I have where there are questions and terms I have never heard of.

For anyone else doing Edexcel IGCSE ICT, have you learnt about things such as star/bus topology networks? Internet traffic? Or why fibre-optic cables have greater bandwidth than copper cables?

None of these things are even in my book...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mule
Hi.
I'm quite worried about my ICT exam because I feel like I haven't been taught everything I need to know. My worries increased when I looked at past papers, because I can hardly answer any of the questions on the exam paper because we have not been taught them. (This was from two past papers, Nov. 2008/ and June.2010, so quite recent.)
Upon looking at my syllabus (which is quite vague) I can't really find what is in the exam papers and so then I thought perhaps the syllabus for these exam papers has changed since then, but it when I look at the different versions on the website, the syllabus' are from 2003 and 2009. The syllabus from 2003 had some of these questions on the 2011 past paper but being in 2010, the syllabus must have been from 2009. In the mock exam we did though, I got a high grade but i'm not sure if this is down to luck. This paper was from 2011 June.

In short really, (excusing my bad explanation) i'm not sure if I am learning everything I need because I cannot find some areas on my syllabus, but the 2010 paper must have been based off the 2009 syllabus I have where there are questions and terms I have never heard of.

For anyone else doing Edexcel IGCSE ICT, have you learnt about things such as star/bus topology networks? Internet traffic? Or why fibre-optic cables have greater bandwidth than copper cables?

None of these things are even in my book...

The topics you mention aren't even in our syllabus from IGCSE from 2009. You are wrong the first exam of IGCSE from 2009 was in June 2011 and not in June 2010 so you don't need to revise any past papers from before 2011 JUNE.
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Anyone know whetherwe can take a dictionary for the practical??
Reply 4
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Anyone know whetherwe can take a dictionary for the practical??

nope...ur not allowed to take anything except for some stationery and a treasury bag!
Original post by NilFBosh
nope...ur not allowed to take anything except for some stationery and a treasury bag!

Wrong... My teacher told something else...
We can take it... but i think center will provide...

You can take software manuals too!
(you want proof??)
Reply 7
You can take software manuals too!
(you want proof??)

r u nuts....give me the proof!
r u nuts....give me the proof!

Oi Fat butt Nilosh Check this :

4.13 The workstations should be arranged to prevent candidates viewing each others’ work.
4.14 Candidates may bring a dictionary, pencil and ruler with them into the examination.
Candidates must not take copies of any other materials into the room.
Specification Edexcel IGCSE in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) (4IT0)
Issue 1 September 2008 © Edexcel Limited 2008

Further more,

4.22 Candidates are not allowed to refer to textbooks or centre-prepared manuals during the
examination, but may use software-specific help facilities or manufacturer’s computer
manuals
(providing these do not require internet access)
. Software manuals are defined as
the books provided by the software manufacturer talking through the functionality of the
software only.
4.23 Display material

Source:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/IGCSE%20New%20IGCSE/IGCSE2009_ICT_(4IT0)_Specifcation.pdf

Your teacher is nuttss.:smile:
Reply 9

4.13 The workstations should be arranged to prevent candidates viewing each others’ work.
4.14 Candidates may bring a dictionary, pencil and ruler with them into the examination.
Candidates must not take copies of any other materials into the room.
Specification Edexcel IGCSE in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) (4IT0)
Issue 1 September 2008 © Edexcel Limited 2008

Further more,

4.22 Candidates are not allowed to refer to textbooks or centre-prepared manuals during the
examination, but may use software-specific help facilities or manufacturer’s computer
manuals
(providing these do not require internet access)
. Software manuals are defined as
the books provided by the software manufacturer talking through the functionality of the
software only.
4.23 Display material

Source:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/IGCSE%20New%20IGCSE/IGCSE2009_ICT_(4IT0)_Specifcation.pdf

yeah...r u goin to search all the bookshops for a software manual of all the ms office softwares...it'll cost a lot...jobless fellow...who r u again??
Reply 10

She's ur teacher toooo!!!
She's ur teacher toooo!!!

well I have 2 teachers..like you,don't we?
Reply 12
well I have 2 teachers..like you,don't we?

yeah...so wat...STOP Bugging me!! LOL
Anyone having notes for ICT practical, don't be selfish, pls upload it
Reply 14
Anyone having notes for ICT practical, don't be selfish, pls upload it

Does anybody have the ICT practical mock exam paper - please, please upload or any other revision papers for the Edexcel IGCSE ICT practical exam. Thanks
What do you guys think will come up? I am sure that there will be no power point, it was in all the past and sample papers. What about audio and video editing?
Original post by Joerod
Does anybody have the ICT practical mock exam paper - please, please upload or any other revision papers for the Edexcel IGCSE ICT practical exam. Thanks

Go onto the edexcel website and download the sample assessment material + paper.

In the website-> Click on qualifications->IGCSE from 2009->ICT->Sample assesment material->download files and paper
Reply 17
What do you guys think will come up? I am sure that there will be no power point, it was in all the past and sample papers. What about audio and video editing?

possibility of web editing coming up...powerpoint will also come...not movie editing but sound editing..
possibility of web editing coming up...powerpoint will also come...not movie editing but sound editing..

Hyperlinks and buttons like stuff??? We shouldn't print from A Dreamweaver, mustn't we, we should only take a screenshot of the webpage?? Hope Web Authoring doesn't come?
What will be the scenario this time. I think it will a school trip or something. It may not be transport (steam engines already came) and small businesses. May be they will repeat - may be a school trip somewhere and we should manage the airline ticketing (in the db) and create a poster to be displayed in the school board.
Hyperlinks and buttons like stuff??? We shouldn't print from A Dreamweaver, mustn't we, we should only take a screenshot of the webpage?? Hope Web Authoring doesn't come?
What will be the scenario this time. I think it will a school trip or something. It may not be transport (steam engines already came) and small businesses. May be they will repeat - may be a school trip somewhere and we should manage the airline ticketing (in the db) and create a poster to be displayed in the school board.

We must print from dreamweaver, not by a screenshot. However the printout gets messed up if you use frames.
Web authoring might come becuz there was no question last year on it. About the scenario, can be anything from school to club to anything lol :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest