The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
I moved in on the 16th Sept. Lectures for me, started at the beginning of Oct. The two weeks in between were freshers/induction.

Well, I can't argue with that. I apologise.

However, next year, Freshers is over two weeks, with the second week being the start of lectures. :colondollar:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Hatterfan
Well, I can't argue with that. I apologise.

However, next year, Freshers is over two weeks, with the second week being the start of lectures. :colondollar:

Ah ok. Ours was 2 weeks (2011), but the second was induction, and the 3rd was lectures :smile:

Yay for Birmingham :woo:
I'm a first year Geography Student at Birmingham Uni and I've LOVED it!!! As for accommodation I was really disappointed when I didn't get a place on the Vale (the main "hub") However if you end up in the same position as me it's not the end of the world. I then chose to stay in QHC (Queen's Hospital Close) which is in Bath Row. This is very close to Broad St where all the main club nights are for freshers. Over 85% of the students there are from the University of Birmingham so you still get a great halls experience. I loved it so much that I applied to be a committee member that helps to run events for the people in halls that are off campus.

So I'd highly recommend choosing QHC as one of your accommodation options. The kitchen/living area is one of the most spacious of all the halls, the price is reasonable and you get an ensuite bathroom too!

http://www.libertyliving.co.uk/student-accommodation/birmingham/queens-hospital-close/residence-information
Original post by FrozenFlower
Hi, anyone doing IR, I would love to hear how you are finding it and what is the programme structure... I looked at the web site already and it doesnt really say much :-( Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I've just finished my second year doing IR and I'm the Vice President of the Politics Society so I can definitely help you on IR!

Go on our Facebook group to see what we get up to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/uobpolsoc/
We do debates, guest speakers, and loads of socials so it's a great society to join!

Course info is on the Polsis website: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-social-sciences/government-society/polsis/degrees/international-relations.pdf

I love the course and all of the module options - there is loads of choice and the department is well organised.

Good luck with your results x
Reply 204
Hi :smile: I'm considering Birmingham as one of my choices for 2013 entry and although the course I'd like to do looks great, I have concerns about the price of accommodation and living costs. Out of all my options, the price of living in Birmingham is far higher than the others at around £130 weekly for accommodation alone. How do you find the prices there? and was the prospectus just trying to scare people off?!
Reply 205
Original post by Mozz
Hi :smile: I'm considering Birmingham as one of my choices for 2013 entry and although the course I'd like to do looks great, I have concerns about the price of accommodation and living costs. Out of all my options, the price of living in Birmingham is far higher than the others at around £130 weekly for accommodation alone. How do you find the prices there? and was the prospectus just trying to scare people off?!

They're not all that price; there are a range of different halls to suit your budget. I wanted ensuite in my first year, so obviously paid more for that. My parents didn't contribute anything, so I had a part-time job to get me by, which worked out great.
You can have a look at the cost per week of various halls for this coming year here.
Reply 206
Original post by uob
They're not all that price; there are a range of different halls to suit your budget. I wanted ensuite in my first year, so obviously paid more for that. My parents didn't contribute anything, so I had a part-time job to get me by, which worked out great.
You can have a look at the cost per week of various halls for this coming year here.

Great! thank you this is exactly what I was looking for!
Hi, are there any current History students on this thread? I reallllly need help with my A2B assignment, don't understand what to talk about? Thanks.
I just recently visited the University of Birmingham open day and absolutely fell in love with everything about the uni!

I want to apply in September to do the Accounting and Finance course as I really enjoyed the talk I went to but I was concerned about the amount of places that are actually available on the course, as there is apparently only 120 places for over 1,000 applicants?

Can anyone who's on the course give me any advice as to what would be a great thing to put in my personal statement to get me onto this course? And what sort of things Birmingham really value as a university? (Obviously aside from the entry requirements)

Also I am concerned about the accommodation merely because I really want an ensuite but I can't afford Mason or Shackleton! Is there any other accommodation which is nice and also offers an ensuite?

Thanks!
Reply 209
Original post by oliviagreenslade
I just recently visited the University of Birmingham open day and absolutely fell in love with everything about the uni!

I want to apply in September to do the Accounting and Finance course as I really enjoyed the talk I went to but I was concerned about the amount of places that are actually available on the course, as there is apparently only 120 places for over 1,000 applicants?

Can anyone who's on the course give me any advice as to what would be a great thing to put in my personal statement to get me onto this course? And what sort of things Birmingham really value as a university? (Obviously aside from the entry requirements)

Also I am concerned about the accommodation merely because I really want an ensuite but I can't afford Mason or Shackleton! Is there any other accommodation which is nice and also offers an ensuite?

Thanks!

I'm not on the Accounting and Finance course so can't offer any advice about the personal statement, but I can tell you that you'll find that sort of ratio with a lot of courses, but it shouldn't put you off.
Those 1,200 applicants aren't solely going for this course at Birmingham, they make 4 other choices of courses at other universities too, so there will always be a lot more applicants to the actual places. This number ignores the fact that based on their application some of them were never going to receive, or in some cases, accept a place.

As for ensuite accommodation, there are ensuite flats in Elgar Court and some now in Tennis Court, both on the Vale, as well as in Chelwood, although those are exclusively on the meal plan, so if you're concerned about price, it's likely this won't be a viable option.
As well as that, Jarratt Hall is relatively cheap for an ensuite hall, and the opposite side of the university to the Vale, and much closer, at about 5 minutes walk.
Further, in Oakley Court and Pritchatts House in the Pritchatts Park village, there are some duplex rooms. This isn't an ensuite per se, as you share it with one other, but almost the same thing, at a lower cost.

There's also Hunter Court and Victoria Hall which are ensuite halls, and while owned by 3rd party companies, the university still decides who lives there, so you don't lose out on any "perks" of a UoB hall in that way.

I got all this info from this, which is the fees for this coming academic year 2012-13.
Thanks very much for all the info! Absolutely love Birmingham so really hoping I get an offer!
Hello, as a prospective applicant for 2013 entry do they interview? (for geology in my case) forgot to ask this at the open day on thurs :/ Thanks :smile:
Reply 212
Original post by oliviagreenslade

Thanks!

Further to UoB's response - I would just add that you think about whether you actually want en-suite.

If you are on a tight budget, maybe this should be an element that you don't necessarily need. There has been lots of research done on this topic and although many people say en-suite is important before they come to Uni - come December, en-suite is a far lower priority and many say that it is not worth the price.

Furthermore, remember that in second year (unless you stay in halls) you will most likely move out into Selly Oak or Harborne and there are next to no en-suites available so you might as well save some money and get used to sharing.
Reply 213
Original post by louisjevans
Hello, as a prospective applicant for 2013 entry do they interview? (for geology in my case) forgot to ask this at the open day on thurs :/ Thanks :smile:

I don't do Geology, but I'll answer in case there are no geologist on TSR.

It really varies from course to course - the majority of UoB does not interview barring things like medicine etc. I would suggest you send an email to Dr Andy Chambers - [email protected] - Undergraduate Admissions Tutor for Geology and Earth Sciences.
guys help me out .. atiken or victoria or opal one ???
Reply 215
Original post by kk.creare
guys help me out .. atiken or victoria or opal one ???

You'll need to specify your preferences if you want people to help you decide.
Original post by uob

yes you are right :tongue: here are my preferences ordered based on priority:
1.) Distance
2.) Social Life
3.) Ensuite
4.) Cost
5.) Students of same university ( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)
6.) Post graduate Student community( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)

and also let me tell pros/cons currently i feel for victoria, opal, atiken ..

Victoria Hall:
Pros:
Very Near
Accommodation in ensuite and quite good

Cons:
From this year its only for Under grads allotted by university but i could book privately but don know how many post grads would be there.. i don wanna be odd man out :eek:

Opal One:
Pros:
Ensuite and nice accommodation
Fees also pretty good
On site gym/pool
Students from aston and city uni too (not sure this pros or cons :confused:)

Cons:
Its in between city centre and university ..so neither uni life nor city life .. and need travel for both..
Since mixed with other uni students not sure how well it goes..

Atiken:

Pros:
Its in vale and hence more events
Green environment
Atiken B and Atiken C reserverd for only Post grads (but i also feel would i miss undergrads :tongue:)

Cons:
Accommodation is not so good and no ensuite(any better insight on atiken welcome :smile: )
Distance is quite far compared to victoria hall
If want to use gym/sports facilities then no near by ones

Please help me guys...

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes(pros/cons) living with undergrads and post grads.. i feel its more to fun to be with undergrads :tongue:

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes (pros/cons)living with students of other unis?
Original post by uob

yes you are right :tongue: here are my preferences ordered based on priority:
1.) Distance
2.) Social Life
3.) Ensuite
4.) Cost
5.) Students of same university ( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)
6.) Post graduate Student community( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)

and also let me tell pros/cons currently i feel for victoria, opal, atiken ..

Victoria Hall:
Pros:
Very Near
Accommodation in ensuite and quite good

Cons:
From this year its only for Under grads allotted by university but i could book privately but don know how many post grads would be there.. i don wanna be odd man out :eek:

Opal One:
Pros:
Ensuite and nice accommodation
Fees also pretty good
On site gym/pool
Students from aston and city uni too (not sure this pros or cons :confused:)

Cons:
Its in between city centre and university ..so neither uni life nor city life .. and need travel for both..
Since mixed with other uni students not sure how well it goes..

Atiken:

Pros:
Its in vale and hence more events
Green environment
Atiken B and Atiken C reserverd for only Post grads (but i also feel would i miss undergrads :tongue:)

Cons:
Accommodation is not so good and no ensuite(any better insight on atiken welcome :smile: )
Distance is quite far compared to victoria hall
If want to use gym/sports facilities then no near by ones

Please help me guys...

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes(pros/cons) living with undergrads and post grads.. i feel its more to fun to be with undergrads :tongue:

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes (pros/cons)living with students of other unis?
does anyone here work at the accomodation doing bar work or waitressing? I'm probably gonna apply for a job doing either as I'd like a part time job while studying and I was wondering if anyone has experience of working there? :smile:

oh also how are the rooms all laid out in relation to each other? I never got to go to the accomodation open day as money was tight and we couldn't drive down, but the whole flat thing confuses me is it literally like a flat or is it like a corridor with rooms coming off it? this is in terms of Tennis Courts, Elgar and Mason btw :smile: (my top 4 choices haha)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 219
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
does anyone here work at the accomodation doing bar work or waitressing? I'm probably gonna apply for a job doing either as I'd like a part time job while studying and I was wondering if anyone has experience of working there? :smile:

oh also how are the rooms all laid out in relation to each other? I never got to go to the accomodation open day as money was tight and we couldn't drive down, but the whole flat thing confuses me is it literally like a flat or is it like a corridor with rooms coming off it? this is in terms of Tennis Courts, Elgar and Mason btw :smile: (my top 4 choices haha)

Generally, the front door opens onto the central corridor, and all the rooms come off of that. So does the kitchen/living space. In ensuite halls, you obviously have a bathroom coming off of your own room, only accessible by you, and shared bathroom flats have them accessible from the main corridor.

Quick Reply