The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

for the surd q i got c= 50 instead of 10 as i multiplied 5 with 4root 5 +30root5 how many marks woud i lose
Reply 41
Let the games begin
Reply 42
Original post by Bulbasaur
If its 59 for an A then it'd likely be 73 for full UMS (as it would probably be 7 raw marks per 10 UMS). So i'd say 99 UMS for 72, in fact.

I just used interpolation on the 59-75 stretch, but then I don't know how they deal with marks on the highest end of the scale. Hopefully you're right!
Reply 43
how mmuch for a B raw marks do you think?
Original post by Arsey

I will not have a lot of time to answer endless, how many marks will I get questions if... ? If I have time I will but most of the time you can find out yourself by checking past mark schemes. Also, please read the thread before asking a question as I (or someone else) may have already answered the same question.

for q1 c1 could you have done-x(2x-1)(2x+1) instead? would this get any marks? (it expands to the same thing)

for 11b i got the correct value of y usin the correct method, and subbed in x=1/4 into dy/dx correctly, writingg each term out...but somehow thought the gradient was 2 even tho id writtn it out just as you had when working! i then used this value for m when working out the eqution so got y=2x+1 instead :/ would i get a couple of marks for this?? (all my working correct, just wrong m value)

thanks for your help
Reply 45
I got x(-1-2x^2)(1+2x^2) for question 1 . Is that right? Will I gain any marks ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Arsey
Attached are my model answers to the C1 Jan 2013 paper.

5. Coordinate geometry, pretty straight forward (7)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thnx for the attachment,

I don't think 5 was easy 😭. I got (a) wrong and that affected (b) and (c)! 😥

& the exam was not easier than jun 2012! At least june 2012 had only ONE hard question that only worth 3 marks! While that exam included more than one hard question! And the time was not enough to solve all the questions!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arsey

I thought it was a reasonable paper. Some of the questions were standard but were tweaked to make them a little more challenging. There was not many complete gift marks on this paper though.

1. Pretty easy factorising (3)
2. Powers, could be tricky but similar questions have been asked (2)
3. Surds, fairly easy (3)
4. Recurrence sequence, very easy (5)
6. Transforming / sketching graphs / sim. equations (12)

quite predictable that this question would be asked. Part (a) was pretty easy for 5 marks and b) was very easy. c) was tricky(ish) for another 5 marks

7. Arithmetic sequence; very easy (8)
8. Integration, very standard, should have been easy (6)
9. Discrim, quite easy if you remembered to bring 5 over at the start (7)

Another question that was very easy to predict was coming up and an easy tweak to predict.

10. Completing the square, tricky(ish) (7)

Given what was asked on the June 12 paper -x^2 this was another one that could have been predicted.

11. Differentiation, not too bad, fairly standard part c) wasn't that nice though (12)

Overall I would say it was probably a little easier than June 12 and that was 59/75 for an A. It will probably be around 59 for an A again.

I will not have a lot of time to answer endless, how many marks will I get questions if... ? If I have time I will but most of the time you can find out yourself by checking past mark schemes. Also, please read the thread before asking a question as I (or someone else) may have already answered the same question.

Don't bother PM'ng me as I don't check PM's.

:wink:

Common answers...

No, I am not a student.

No, I don't have access to the papers before the exam. Only once they have been sat (UK time).

Yes, I am sure the answers are correct (although I haven't checked my C2 ones)

No, I don't have the actual boundaries. These are calculated from the actual results and will not be released until results day in March (well the day before). Boundaries at this stage are simply estimations based on past papers and past boundaries.

I will probably do model answers to C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1, M2, D1, FP1. I will try to post model answers to AM papers just after midnight. PM papers will have to wait until the following morning.

For Q2, I wrote 26x+92^{6x+9}, but I didn't write y=6x+9y=6x+9. Will I lose a mark because of this?
Reply 48
O.o
Reply 49
Original post by Ambitions
I think I got 72 marks. Can't believe I got the surds question wrong.. I don't know why rationalising didn't even cross my mind?! :colondollar: aha :tongue: how much ums is 72?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !! OMG! I done the same exact thing - It really annoyed me for the rest of the day because I wanted 100UMS soooo much.
Reply 50
that exam was the biggest flop of my life!:biggrin:
Reply 51
aah damn! I put -x on the outside, it still gave me the correct answer when I expand it do I lose any marks?
Original post by justinawe
For Q2, I wrote 26x+92^{6x+9}, but I didn't write y=6x+9y=6x+9. Will I lose a mark because of this?

I'm no expert but it did explicitly say state y in terms of x!
Reply 53
Would you possibly get one mark on question two in your working if you wrote 2^3 = 8 in your working but got y wrong?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Would you possibly get one mark on question two in your working if you wrote 2^3 = 8?
Omd, i think i got everything right in this apart from the 3 marker question on sequences which i completely missed :frown:. I think i would lose around 4 ums just for that mistake. :frown:
Original post by Arsey

I thought it was a reasonable paper. Some of the questions were standard but were tweaked to make them a little more challenging. There was not many complete gift marks on this paper though.

1. Pretty easy factorising (3)
2. Powers, could be tricky but similar questions have been asked (2)
3. Surds, fairly easy (3)
4. Recurrence sequence, very easy (5)
6. Transforming / sketching graphs / sim. equations (12)

quite predictable that this question would be asked. Part (a) was pretty easy for 5 marks and b) was very easy. c) was tricky(ish) for another 5 marks

7. Arithmetic sequence; very easy (8)
8. Integration, very standard, should have been easy (6)
9. Discrim, quite easy if you remembered to bring 5 over at the start (7)

Another question that was very easy to predict was coming up and an easy tweak to predict.

10. Completing the square, tricky(ish) (7)

Given what was asked on the June 12 paper -x^2 this was another one that could have been predicted.

11. Differentiation, not too bad, fairly standard part c) wasn't that nice though (12)

Overall I would say it was probably a little easier than June 12 and that was 59/75 for an A. It will probably be around 59 for an A again.

Don't bother PM'ng me as I don't check PM's.

:wink:

Common answers...

No, I am not a student.

No, I don't have access to the papers before the exam. Only once they have been sat (UK time).

Yes, I am sure the answers are correct (although I haven't checked my C2 ones)

No, I don't have the actual boundaries. These are calculated from the actual results and will not be released until results day in March (well the day before). Boundaries at this stage are simply estimations based on past papers and past boundaries.

I will probably do model answers to C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1, M2, D1, FP1. I will try to post model answers to AM papers just after midnight. PM papers will have to wait until the following morning.

what would you say is 90 and 100 ums?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm no expert but it did explicitly say state y in terms of x!

Hmmmm...I reckon it's right
Reply 58
Original post by KhawlaM
I got x(-1-2x^2)(1+2x^2) for question 1 . Is that right? Will I gain any marks ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The -1 should be +1

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the Integration Question, did you have 9 for C?
For the last question was Q 9, -1 ?

Hope i didnt make any stupid mistake. Hope i get 100 % , cant think of anything ive got wrong yet. Probably done one stupid mistake though ahaha

Latest

Trending

Trending