The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

ABB entry to Edinburgh?

I plan to apply for Biological Sciences, and my predicted Grades are ABB (With the A in Biology). However, my friend says that Edinburgh rarely offer ABB, and it's normally AAA or sometimes AAB. How much truth is there in this? Is there much point me applying, or should I save the choice for another, more realistic university?

I go to a state school and live in England if that helps.
Original post by Jakec
I plan to apply for Biological Sciences, and my predicted Grades are ABB (With the A in Biology). However, my friend says that Edinburgh rarely offer ABB, and it's normally AAA or sometimes AAB. How much truth is there in this? Is there much point me applying, or should I save the choice for another, more realistic university?

I go to a state school and live in England if that helps.

Start by reading this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1446853
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I applied for politics & philosophy there, I think the standard offer was AAA for that. You must also remember it's a very competitive uni, and even if the offer is ABB, there'll be a ton of applicants who are predicted 3As/3A*s . I also remember seeing a language GCSE was a requirement too (not English, before you think that's ok :tongue: ).
I wouldn't apply as Edinburgh are planning on charging £9000 a year making them the most expensive in the uk, and it's probably a 4 year course (most scottish degrees are). http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/sep/05/edinburgh-university-charge-36000-degree
Also, their offer will probably depend on the subjects you take and your personal statement.
Reply 4
Original post by chrisawhitmore
I wouldn't apply as Edinburgh are planning on charging £9000 a year making them the most expensive in the uk, and it's probably a 4 year course (most scottish degrees are). http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/sep/05/edinburgh-university-charge-36000-degree
Also, their offer will probably depend on the subjects you take and your personal statement.

I was thinking about the whole 'most expensive' thing. At Southampton they were telling us that most people won't pay off the full £27,000 of a 3 year degree in the 30 years before it get's wiped, which is why they advise people to get their moneys worth and do an MSci (Four Years) because it will most likely not cost much more, if at all.

That's why I'm not really bothered about how much it's going to cost - but might it discourage a lot of other English students from applying who haven't thought of it that way?
Reply 5
I forgot to mention in the first post - Edinburgh's prospectus says the Biological Sciences offers are ABB-AAA. That's why I'm wondering, because I'm at the bottom of the grade range. I'm doing the Extended Project as well if that would help?
Original post by Jakec
I forgot to mention in the first post - Edinburgh's prospectus says the Biological Sciences offers are ABB-AAA. That's why I'm wondering, because I'm at the bottom of the grade range. I'm doing the Extended Project as well if that would help?

What subjects are you doing? Not sure about biosciences but when I applied for Chemistry last year, those offer ranges were based on the relatedness of your subjects (Eg. 3 Sciences/Maths gets an offer of ABB, Biology, Sociology and Music gets an offer of AAA

Do they have any required subjects?
Reply 7
Original post by chrisawhitmore
What subjects are you doing? Not sure about biosciences but when I applied for Chemistry last year, those offer ranges were based on the relatedness of your subjects (Eg. 3 Sciences/Maths gets an offer of ABB, Biology, Sociology and Music gets an offer of AAA

Do they have any required subjects?

"GCE A Levels: AAA - ABB required in one sitting, to include two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. GCSE Mathematics at Grade B and either Biology and Chemistry or Science and an additional science at Grade B"

I am doing Biology (Predicted A), Physics (B) and Maths (B) at A2. GCSE Maths was a B, Core Science (A*), Additional Science (B).
Original post by Jakec
"GCE A Levels: AAA - ABB required in one sitting, to include two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. GCSE Mathematics at Grade B and either Biology and Chemistry or Science and an additional science at Grade B"

I am doing Biology (Predicted A), Physics (B) and Maths (B) at A2. GCSE Maths was a B, Core Science (A*), Additional Science (B).

If you have 3 of their preferred subjects they will probably offer lower. Do they interview? because that and your personal statement will probably decide between them offering AAB and ABB.

Also, how set are you on Edinburgh, and what other unis are you applying to?
Reply 9
Glasgow and Southampton.

Possibly Manchester? Though they have the same vague AAA - ABB thing that Edinburgh have.

Edinburgh is my favourite, though.
Original post by Jakec
Glasgow and Southampton.

Possibly Manchester? Though they have the same vague AAA - ABB thing that Edinburgh have.

Edinburgh is my favourite, though.

You'll need 5 anyway so might I recommend a couple more.

1. Leicester. My home city and according to the Guardian the 4th best biosciences uni in the uk. It's a bit of a spread out city uni, but the city is pretty busy and there is plenty to do. They require ABB

2. University of East Anglia. A more self contained campus university, it is a little off-putting to look at but the staff are great and it has a really good community feeling, as it is a smaller university.
I can't really offer a better endorsement than that it is where I have chosen to go.
It ranks 14th in the uk for biosciences and offers at ABB.

For reference the guardian ranks Edinburgh 22nd, Glasgow 27th, Manchester 12th and Southampton 45th for biosciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending