The Student Room Group

Norwegian TERRORIST "shouldn't be tried"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by donotpanic:P
but what worries me the most are the victims who clearly need to see him behind bars and be assured that he will never come out again. i live in norway and some of my friends who have suffered great loss, are really afraid that he might be a free man again someday...and it doesn't help at all that the media keeps telling everybody that he will be a free man if the treatment in a mental institution works...
Why? If he's no longer ill, why do they need to see him kept in prison? If he is cured of his illness, and judged no longer a threat to society, shouldn't he be released?
Original post by Kolya
Why? If he's no longer ill, why do they need to see him kept in prison? If he is cured of his illness, and judged no longer a threat to society, shouldn't he be released?

The majority of mentally ill people do not commit crime (so clearly there is a specific risk attached to this guy being ill), now if he can be cured of his condition before being released, who's to say he won't get ill again and commit more crime?
Original post by Kolya

it has something to do with how people feel. they are terrified this could happen again. norway never would have thought something like that could happen in their own country by one of their own people. norway is like a big family almost everybody knows eacht other. that's why they were able to support each other so much through this tragedy, but what the people need to see is that he is away, and can never come back again, so that they can feel safe.
who can safely say he wouldn't try it again and get ill again when he comes out of treatment?!
it's jut a secure feeling people need to not have the thought in their heads that he might come back...
Reply 103
Original post by pink pineapple
what has the fact he had blonde hair, blue eyes got anything to do with being let off for mass murder? The guy's clearly mentally insane and appearance has got nothing to do with it.

i was being sarcastic because someone else suggested it first.
Reply 104
Original post by PendulumBoB

Original post by PendulumBoB
The majority of mentally ill people do not commit crime (so clearly there is a specific risk attached to this guy being ill), now if he can be cured of his condition before being released, who's to say he won't get ill again and commit more crime?

donotpanic:p
who can safely say he wouldn't try it again and get ill again when he comes out of treatment?!

I don't understand. If he's cured, he's cured. Naturally there's a chance he might become ill again, but then there's a chance that anybody might become ill and do the same thing.

Regular psychiatric assessment after treatment would seem prudent in his case, but I don't see why that would require him to be in custody.
Original post by Kolya
I don't understand. If he's cured, he's cured. Naturally there's a chance he might become ill again, but then there's a chance that anybody might become ill and do the same thing.

Regular psychiatric assessment after treatment would seem prudent in his case, but I don't see why that would require him to be in custody.

so you wouldn't be afraid when he would be in your country, walking around as a free man, after being treated...?
Reply 106

so you wouldn't be afraid when he would be in your country, walking around as a free man, after being treated...?

What I feel and what is just are two different things. Our justice systems are based on more than just emotion. Else almost every murderer, and every rapist, and everybody who commits violent assault, would be put in prison for life as their release is likely to cause fear to some people.
Reply 108

I'm not sure what to make of that. Norwegian prisons have a cracking record of reforming inmates but Breivik obviously has some extremely deeply rooted beliefs for him to do what he did. I'm not sure the maximum 20 year sentence would be enough to knock the belief out of him.
If he is convicted, which I'm sure he will be, I reckon they will probably use the second type of life sentence in Norway for his sentence.
strap the blighter to a rocket and let rip.
Reply 111
He's being "sectioned" or whatever to prevent his views from being seen as legitimate. I think maybe killing 40+ teenagers does that by itself but I'm not the norweigan government so I don't have catastrophic demographic issues to take into balance.
I don't think he should be tried he should have been shot as soon as they found the scum bag the way he stood over those defensless children looked them in the eyes as they begged and cried for mercy and then camly blasted their brains out is beyond redemption he dosn't deserve to be re habilitated he should at least be put in with the general prison population and let them finish the scum bag off.
Reply 113
Original post by de_monies
So if a Muslim terrorist could say that they were having mental issues then they'd have the same treatment? I highly doubt it

If they could prove they were mentally ill then I'm sure they would.

Its odd when people comment on these situations in this way, when they have no idea of the evidence or the perpetrators true mental state.

Should Brevrik be released? Never in a millions years. Same with any terrorist.
(edited 11 years ago)
What an insult to the bereaved and the memory of the dead, a travesty, execution is the only just punishment.
Original post by lightburns
From what I have seen, Norwegian criminal systems are not based on punishment. They are based on rehabilitation.

This, to me, seems like the best and most sensible route for Breivik. If he is so severely mentally ill that he can't be rehabilitated, he'll be kept inside somewhere for the rest of his life, and what good would it do to anyone to punish a man who is never going to be free to murder again? If he can be rehabilitated, then he can be rehabilitated, and all well and good - with his severity of crime and craziness (I read a good portion of his manifesto), I doubt he'd be able to get over it though.

You seriously think Norway should try to 'rehabilitate' this psychopathic murderer?

Are you serious? You think it would be ok for the families of those teenagers he murdered to potentially have to see him walk free?

Should we be in the habit of 'rehabilitating' psychopathic killers and then send them merrily on their way?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kolya

And what about all those teenagers he massacred, and their loved ones? Or are they unimportant now that the crucial 'rehabilitation' has taken place and he's really sorry that he butchered their children and everything?
This is Norway, scandandanavia ... we're talking about,

One of the most PC law systems in the world, now that may work wonders for those than need rehabilitation>punishment, for "victimless and petty, grey crimes", which we haven't come around to yet, we have it all backwards, Red crimes are punished too little and the former are punished too much.
Reply 118
What he did was monstrous and inhumane, and I wish the government could torture him and keep him locked in for the rest of his life - but this would do no good. Norway is a pleasant country to live in because of our laws and human rights. We don't support capital punishment, and our maximum prison time is 21 years. For us to do anything else than our regular procedure, even though ABB is a bastard and a monster, would be corrupt and therefore wrong.
They should make a good deterrent punishment out of him as an example.

It will turn the mental state of all insane people around the world turn into sane.

Quick Reply

Latest