The Student Room Group

Higher Revision: how much are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JaggySnake95
That is the same with my teacher. Folios never marked, only two essays I've done have ever been marked, but they were 15 and a 17 under harsh marking regulations so I'm not quite confident of an A, but it is well within my grasp.

Really? My teacher gave us a conservative estimate for our folios and has marked all of our essays. She marks higher critical essay for the SQA so you can trust her standards, but she does admit that she marks us more harshly than she would mark for the SQA. My recent essays have almost almost been 19's, and I think I can get over thirty on close reading, so I'm holding out hope for an A!
Original post by ..lauren
Really? My teacher gave us a conservative estimate for our folios and has marked all of our essays. She marks higher critical essay for the SQA so you can trust her standards, but she does admit that she marks us more harshly than she would mark for the SQA. My recent essays have almost almost been 19's, and I think I can get over thirty on close reading, so I'm holding out hope for an A!

Yeah, and those were the ones done for the prelim. It was annoying at first but I think if I take into account my improvements since January and a more lenient marker that I am sure to get, then I can get an A.

I got 20 in the Close Reading but I have improved a lot since then and the teacher (who must late 50s) said it was the most difficult paper she has ever seen.

Good Luck. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
Yeah, and those were the ones done for the prelim. It was annoying at first but I think if I take into account my improvements since January and a more lenient marker that I am sure to get, then I can get an A.

I got 20 in the Close Reading but I have improved a lot since then and the teacher (who must late 50s) said it was the most difficult paper she has ever seen.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

Somehow, I managed to get 33 on close reading! Hopefully I can replicate that in the exam :P

Good luck to you too!
Reply 103
Im dreading Higher History and Higher English,
I've ignored the rest of my subjects and focused on those two.

Anyone else doing Higher Art? Got any tips for critical on the 1st?
Reply 104
Original post by UMARTIAN
Im dreading Higher History and Higher English,
I've ignored the rest of my subjects and focused on those two.

Anyone else doing Higher Art? Got any tips for critical on the 1st?

I have six days between my last exam and Art, I think, so I am going to start Art revision then.

I recorded both essays and will listen to them and ask my family to test me on the paintings and fashion I chose. For the prelim I made a revision book with vocab taken from a school's website and also pages on all the art movements, like Bauhaus, Arts and Crafts etc. so it is easy to identify a painting or clothing piece in the exam. And I still have to add painting movements like Impressionism but I will do that before!

My class have done a few past papers already so there's not much else to practice with
Reply 105
My exams (all 6 of them) have somehow all managed to end up clustered within 14 days of each other :confused:

On topic, I'm doing several hours of reading daily, although I'm mainly doing English/History at the moment. I'm going to start on all the sciences in a few days and I'll do 4/5 hours a day.
So it just hit me today that my exams start next week!
Currently I'm doing a few hours of maths and chemistry a day, and sort of avoiding the rest because I really can't do them at all.
However, later this week I plan to start on english - my worst subject, then try biology and physics.
I'm sure that I'll fail all my exams though. :frown:
Reply 107
Doing a few past papers a day now. Then maybe an hour or two of general revision.

Exams start next Thursday for me, then finish on 31st. Still hasn't hit me really how close they are haha
Reply 108
six days until my first exam, twenty until my last! :afraid:
I'm doing an hour of Physics and Maths per day, then a bit of Chemistry and a past paper of some sort.. I despise English so decided I'll try just learn it all in the two days between monday and thursday :L
I'm terrified about everything apart from French - that only needs like a day of revision but everything else needs loads :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by rawragee
six days until my first exam, twenty until my last! :afraid:
I'm doing an hour of Physics and Maths per day, then a bit of Chemistry and a past paper of some sort.. I despise Chemistry so decided I'll try just learn it all in the two days between monday and thursday :L
I'm terrified about everything apart from French - that only needs like a day of revision but everything else needs loads :frown:

Mines are still 10 days away. I'm not THAT worried now, but I do still have lots to do. I'm doing at least five hours a day, focussing mostly on English just now because it's my first and there's lots of it, and also history for similar reasons! I'm actually fine with Maths and Physics now, I only revise them for fun :P I've barely touched rmps though, which is a bit of a problem :/
Reply 110
Mines are still 10 days away. I'm not THAT worried now, but I do still have lots to do. I'm doing at least five hours a day, focussing mostly on English just now because it's my first and there's lots of it, and also history for similar reasons! I'm actually fine with Maths and Physics now, I only revise them for fun :P I've barely touched rmps though, which is a bit of a problem :/

I HATE ENGLISH SO MUCH. My essays aren't even the problem - I can get out decent essays which are 15/17ish (I know they're not great but hey, aiming for a low A boundary again) but close reading is horrific. I can't seem to get the understanding questions and I don't have a good technique for word choice questions..
I tend to just write things like "the writer uses "cherished", this suggests that the people are extremely fond of whatever, and that it is a thing held close to their hearts as they have some emotional pull to it" but my teacher told me that my answers are terrible :frown:
I HATE ENGLISH SO MUCH. My essays aren't even the problem - I can get out decent essays which are 15/17ish (I know they're not great but hey, aiming for a low A boundary again) but close reading is horrific. I can't seem to get the understanding questions and I don't have a good technique for word choice questions..
I tend to just write things like "the writer uses "cherished", this suggests that the people are extremely fond of whatever, and that it is a thing held close to their hearts as they have some emotional pull to it" but my teacher told me that my answers are terrible :frown:

Remember this:

what-the-author-meant-copy.jpg
Reply 112
Remember this:

haha that cheered me up from my current pit of despair (aka where I'm studying atm) :tongue:
I know I complain a ridiculous amount about English all over TSR, but I just hate it more than anything. I'd give anything to be able to get 30+ in close reading :colone:
Reply 113

I'm in the same position! I can get low-A essays (19ish), but I can barely pass the close reading! It shouldn't be that hard! I managed to get 33 in the prelim, so if I can replicate that and get decent essays an A should be attainable. Here's hoping it aint too difficult!

Remember this:

I actually quite enjoy analysing the texts! I do Gatsby and so there's a ridiculous amount of symbolism, but that means you can bull**** your way through most of an essay if you make it sound briefly intelligent :P
Reply 114
I'm in the same position! I can get low-A essays (19ish), but I can barely pass the close reading! It shouldn't be that hard! I managed to get 33 in the prelim, so if I can replicate that and get decent essays an A should be attainable. Here's hoping it aint too difficult!

I actually quite enjoy analysing the texts! I do Gatsby and so there's a ridiculous amount of symbolism, but that means you can bull**** your way through most of an essay if you make it sound briefly intelligent :P

I scraped a 26 in my prelim :frown: however only one person got an A for the prelim in our entire year and less than half of the people passed so.. we either had a terrible prelim or my school's English department is horrific :redface:
I'm hoping to get 17's on both my essays (or more.. depends how horrible my marker is) and then in the best situation ever I would get 35+ on the close reading.
to be honest, I'm hoping for a horrific exam and that everyone does terribly so the grade boundaries get lowered a lot :colone:

on the plus side; I just did a chemistry paper and got 86%.. oh how I wish I sat the 2006 exam :rolleyes:
Reply 115
I scraped a 26 in my prelim :frown: however only one person got an A for the prelim in our entire year and less than half of the people passed so.. we either had a terrible prelim or my school's English department is horrific :redface:
I'm hoping to get 17's on both my essays (or more.. depends how horrible my marker is) and then in the best situation ever I would get 35+ on the close reading.
to be honest, I'm hoping for a horrific exam and that everyone does terribly so the grade boundaries get lowered a lot :colone:

on the plus side; I just did a chemistry paper and got 86%.. oh how I wish I sat the 2006 exam :rolleyes:

Yea, only one person got an A but quite a few (including me with 69) were on the boundry! Every class from ours, and most of ours in fact, did terrible, though :P

I love it when that happens!
Reply 116
69% is an A in most higher subjects
Infant, 64 % has even been an A grade for a good few exams. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll all do great :smile: I'm hoping for a good question on poetry and short stories.. I hate the play we do at our school, and of any of you have read Steetcar Named Desire, then you'll know why. First exam on Friday, higher modern studies.. How is everyone feeling for it?
Original post by Ryan!
I hate the play we do at our school, and of any of you have read Steetcar Named Desire, then you'll know why.

This is actually the only play I've ever studied that I actually like. :tongue:
Reply 118
Original post by Ryan!
69% is an A in most higher subjects
Infant, 64 % has even been an A grade for a good few exams. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll all do great :smile: I'm hoping for a good question on poetry and short stories.. I hate the play we do at our school, and of any of you have read Steetcar Named Desire, then you'll know why. First exam on Friday, higher modern studies.. How is everyone feeling for it?

I know, English has been 64% the last few years!

YOU HATE STREETCAR! How!????? It's so easy to write about! I do streetcar and The Great Gatsby, so I'm really happy with my texts! They both have strong themes and stand up to most questions, and I'm quite confident writing about them now.

I don't do Modern Studies, my first exam isn't 'till English!

Quick Reply

Latest