The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

HELP - Study or not to study in Westminster (Fashion)

westminster has made me an unconditional offer of first year entry,
while i had applied for 2nd year entry in the very first place,
considering my budget (im an international student) and my age (ugh, 22, so old).
im kinda in a struggle as other unis (UCA epsom, BCU and De Montfort) have made me a 2nd year offer.

the problem is I really like Westminster, its my first choice :frown: but now im not sure if i can afford to go there as it was a 4-year sandwich course.

Any advice? i will really appreciate it!!!
Reply 1
22 isn't old at all!

You know your budget more than us so you probably have a better idea of what you can afford. You should spend sometime and plan out living costs to see whether it's doable or not.

De Montfort is pretty lame, I'm from Leicester.

That's all I have
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
thank you for your reply.

yay i know.:frown:
Studying in UK is kind of a dream to me. ive been working for two years, saving up so i can go to uk and study. but now going to Year 1 would mean spending extra euro 25000 or more. that is unexpected. :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 3
Ah so that's why you want to start 2nd year? I didn't know you could do that!

Can international students receive any other funding for university? over here we have a decent student loans system, is there no way you can get funding?

I've been working for 1.5 years but I only have about £3k saved from that, but that's a lot more than what other students have! although a lot of the time they get money sent over by their parents...

So yeah is there no alternative funding you can take out?
Reply 4
oh budget is just part of the reason.
i finished Alevels and graduated from higher diploma in a local uni, so my agent said it was possible to start 2nd year uni in uk.
umm i dont think i would get any funding from uk apart from the scholarship scheme.

its just sad that i couldnt go to westminster ive been waiting for it like ages
i'll be 27 by the time i graduate at westminster!!! so i cant really stand 4 years to start my first *real* job
so its down to UCA epsom vs Birmingham City now. and i cant really decide (desperate)
Reply 5
Original post by cwei
oh budget is just part of the reason.
i finished Alevels and graduated from higher diploma in a local uni, so my agent said it was possible to start 2nd year uni in uk.
umm i dont think i would get any funding from uk apart from the scholarship scheme.

its just sad that i couldnt go to westminster ive been waiting for it like ages
i'll be 27 by the time i graduate at westminster!!! so i cant really stand 4 years to start my first *real* job
so its down to UCA epsom vs Birmingham City now. and i cant really decide (desperate)

Hey, that's a shame about Westminster! Have you tried phoning the university and seeing whether they have made a mistake on UCAS, perhaps they were meant to put starting in year 2, but put year 1 instead?
As for the other places, I've going to BCU to study fashion design in September this year. So realistically I'm going to be bias in my opinion...come to BCU! haha
But that's only because I haven't really been to UCA Epsom so I can't really say anything about it. If I were you though I would go where you can see yourself, maybe research the area, accommodation, facilities for both etc and then hopefully that will guide you further in making a decision. Have you visited both the universities? If so which did you prefer? Where can you see yourself living for 3 years? I would just ask these questions to yourself as it's you who's got the power to make the choice. Hope this helps you :smile: xxxx
What attracted you to Westminster? If it was the uni itself then that's tricky, but if it was lure of living in London then BCU would be your best option if you don't fancy the extra year at Westminster because Birmingham is the biggest city in England outside of London. It has excellent transport links that would allow you to explore the UK in your free time (there are some really cheap train/coach fares to London if you look around so you could get to see the Capital easily). But if you really wanted to go to Westminster for that particular course/uni then it might be worth calling them and asking if it was an admin mistake that has caused them to offer you a start in 1st year, or whether or not they would re-consider to take you on in 2nd year.
Reply 7
Original post by KKang
Hey, that's a shame about Westminster! Have you tried phoning the university and seeing whether they have made a mistake on UCAS, perhaps they were meant to put starting in year 2, but put year 1 instead?
As for the other places, I've going to BCU to study fashion design in September this year. So realistically I'm going to be bias in my opinion...come to BCU! haha
But that's only because I haven't really been to UCA Epsom so I can't really say anything about it. If I were you though I would go where you can see yourself, maybe research the area, accommodation, facilities for both etc and then hopefully that will guide you further in making a decision. Have you visited both the universities? If so which did you prefer? Where can you see yourself living for 3 years? I would just ask these questions to yourself as it's you who's got the power to make the choice. Hope this helps you :smile: xxxx

yeah you are right. i may ask the admins again.
but for the places, i checked the unis online but i cant really visit them in person as im not from uk nor europe. so cant tell if i like the area or not :frown: your guys' comments matter
May i ask what your ucas choices are and why you chose BCU as your firm??
:s-smilie: i went to the BCU thread and heard a lot of negative comments about the gangs in the neighbourhood (?) and it scares me off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending