The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ram92
Congrats. When is it?
I should get a move on and do my test :biggrin:

Original post by Raphael_R
Congrats! What was the test like?

Cheers. The test was a Kenexa. No different than the usual, just don't spend too long on any one question etc. I don't think the pass mark was that high.

Also, judging by the response, it sounds like if you've been sent the test and pass, you'll be invited to interview:

''Thank you for completing the online numeracy test for the Greenhill Internship Programme. Congratulations - we're delighted to inform you that you have passed and are through to the next stage of the application process!

The next step will be a short competency-based telephone interview, which will last no more than 30 minutes.

We will be in touch within the next five days to confirm on which date your phone interview will take place. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,

The Greenhill Recruitment Team''
Reply 121
Original post by magnum206
I heard Greenhill does not hand out offers at the end of the summer, rather they allow you to skip the first round of interviews for their grad programme. Anyone to confirm ?

Jefferies do this. I have a friend on the banking side who went through that process. As far as I remember they only hired 2 full-time from their 2011 intern pool. Not sure about Greenhill.
Original post by effofex
Jefferies do this. I have a friend on the banking side who went through that process. As far as I remember they only hired 2 full-time from their 2011 intern pool. Not sure about Greenhill.

I'm not surprised really. Greenhill's website says they're taking on 20 interns in their London office for summer 2013. Quite a lot I though given its size.
Greenhill test invite...

...looks like my summer of SHL practice has gone down the drain.....its from Kenexa :rolleyes:
Original post by viksta1000
Greenhill test invite...

...looks like my summer of SHL practice has gone down the drain.....its from Kenexa :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, do you plan on closing or selling your company if you get the job?
Original post by bluenose53
Greenhill grad job interview invite. Took the test this morning.

30min telephone competency

Hi quick question Bluenose -

If you don't mind me asking, do you have much M&A experience/ finance work experience?
Original post by alvlstudentt
Hi quick question Bluenose -

If you don't mind me asking, do you have much M&A experience/ finance work experience?

None. First M&A app I've ever written as last summer I applied for Sales. Other internships I've done were Middle-Office, FSA Markets and an Equity Sales week.

If its anything to go by, this summer I re-did my covering letter to make it more personally relevant to why 'you' actually want to do something (other than salary). I don't know how much they read these cover letters etc, but friends of mine who gained internships above their (outside) expectations had put a lot of work into conveying why the job, and why them. So not all the usual spiel about: fast-paced, diverse culture, enjoy reading FT, client-facing etc etc. Try incorporating this spiel into your own framework of reason and provide solid examples.

Obviously it's early to tell whether this will help me a great deal. But given that my educational background is only semi-target, you've got to cover all bases really, and whats an extra few hours to write proper well-thought applications.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 127
None. First M&A app I've ever written as last summer I applied for Sales. Other internships I've done were Middle-Office, FSA Markets and an Equity Sales week.

If its anything to go by, this summer I re-did my covering letter to make it more personally relevant to why 'you' actually want to do something (other than salary). I don't know how much they read these cover letters etc, but friends of mine who gained internships above their (outside) expectations had put a lot of work into conveying why the job, and why them. So not all the usual spiel about: fast-paced, diverse culture, enjoy reading FT, client-facing etc etc. Try incorporating this spiel into your own framework of reason and provide solid examples.

Obviously it's early to tell whether this will help me a great deal. But given that my educational background is only semi-target, you've got to cover all bases really, and whats an extra few hours to write proper well-thought applications.

It's good you're taking the time to make your CL/rest of application the best possible, but be careful when writing the CL. The majority of the banks don't really read them, but there's a very thin line between writing a clear and concise CL and adding a lot of extra BS in it (own experience). Remember that a good CL won't get you the job but a bad one can definitely take it away from you if by coincidence they DO read it. Keep it short, concise and clear. Should do the job if you can back it up with a decent resume/interview skills.
Reply 129
For the modules section on the Lazard app are they looking for all modules, or the relevant ones? I've got a lot.
Just out of interest, do you plan on closing or selling your company if you get the job?

I received an offer from an electronic retailer to purchase the company last year which i nearly accepted, but decided not to just incase uni didn't quite pan out as expected, but if I got an offer for a job in IB which provided the pay and job security which the business can't offer, then I'd probably just pass the company onto my parents
Original post by nicepower
invited to greenhill numerical, anyone has already done it?
If you succeed in the numerical are you definitely going to have an interview, or there is another screening?

Would also be interested to hear about that. I missed the deadline for both Greenhill and Houlihan last year:angry:
Has anyone done the Houlihan www.hl.com numerical test yet?
Lazard is open for anyone that is interested, opened up 3 days ago.
Original post by thegeniouc93
Would also be interested to hear about that. I missed the deadline for both Greenhill and Houlihan last year:angry:

not sure if hl has a numerical test. in the past they definitely used to have a logical test I think. and like greenhill a strong focus on valuation.

open are: lazard, greenhill, houlihan and goldman as far as I know. competition will be fierce this year..
Original post by snatiago.tsr
not sure if hl has a numerical test. in the past they definitely used to have a logical test I think. and like greenhill a strong focus on valuation.

open are: lazard, greenhill, houlihan and goldman as far as I know. competition will be fierce this year..

Goldman may be open. But as far as I know, they don't recruit on a rolling basis, so there's no hurry to get that done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 135
Any idea how the HL process works, is it one of those if they like you they contact, if they don't you hear nothing?

Goldman may be open. But as far as I know, they don't recruit on a rolling basis, so there's no hurry to get that done.

Not on a rolling basis, but I know people who didn't do a SW there, that got picked up in November / December for simply having outstanding applications..
Original post by Blue_Horseshoe
Not on a rolling basis, but I know people who didn't do a SW there, that got picked up in November / December for simply having outstanding applications..

Last year GS interviewed up until march. Applied late december and therefore was in the last set of people to be interviewed.
Reply 138
where is the risk option for barcap?? doesnt seem to be there. this is for grad roles btw.
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by Asset101
Any idea how the HL process works, is it one of those if they like you they contact, if they don't you hear nothing?

Not sure tbh. But from what I've heard about hl once they are interested, they get back to you quickly. If not you should definitely look further, they are known to be very selective like greenhills. Also, do not expect to receive a rejection email (not entirely sure about this, anyone?). This is usually more the case for leading private equity firms and hedge funds :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply