The Student Room Group

how much would 20 miles costt in petrol?

how much it would cost for petrol to travel 20 miles?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on MPG. What size engine? Petrol / Diesel?
Reply 2
Thats dependant on a few things:

Engine size, petrol or diesel
Reply 3
Are you planning on walking? cycling? motorbike? 1.3 liter Fiat? V8 Ferrari? Truck? Tank? Airplane?
Reply 4
HJV
Are you planning on walking? cycling? motorbike? 1.3 liter Fiat? V8 Ferrari? Truck? Tank? Airplane?

Yeah, we're really going to need more info
What HJV said. But as a crude first approximation, about (under) a fiver for a moderately small-sized car.
Reply 6
20 mile? With an average sized engine it's unlikely to be a noticeable amount of money. Well, that's assuming it's out of town.
roughly a fiver/£6
Reply 8
princess_sue
roughly a fiver/£6

nah, it wouldn't be over a fiver.
Reply 9
Were you'll be doing those twenty miles will have an effect on how much it'll cost, eg on the motorway or in the city.
Reply 10
I used to drive about 35 miles a day and a £40 tank would last me best part of two weeks, but then I do drive extremely carefully and my fiestas only lickle.
Reply 11
People really need to learn how to ask questions. The OP could at least have said what kind of a vehicle (eg. "small Renault") he will be driving and what sort of road (eg. "motorway").

What he asked is like asking "How much does a car cost?"
Reply 12
Well my car does 40mpg around town and it is 1.4.

With petrol at 1.20ppl around here and a UK Gallon is 4.54609, lets call it 4.55litres.

So 1.2*4.55 = £5.46/gallon/40 miles.

Thus, to do 20 miles, it will cost half of that and therefore total cost will be £2.23.

Simple maths guys...
Reply 13
Reilly
I used to drive about 35 miles a day and a £40 tank would last me best part of two weeks, but then I do drive extremely carefully and my fiestas only lickle.

Over 50 miles to the gallon, i think not.
Reply 14
Jimny
Over 50 miles to the gallon, i think not.

best part....and I don't drive on Weekends so really its seven days worth for £40?

I dunno..... was a while ago as well actually, I only ever drive the car once a fortnight now and never put my own petrol in....
Reply 15
gbduo why use gallons in the calculation?

Price per liter x car's average consumption l/km x km driven
Reply 16
On my motorbike? About £1.20 :biggrin:
Reply 17
HJV
gbduo why use gallons in the calculation?

Price per liter x car's average consumption l/km x km driven

because I am using miles per gallon as my measurement. Thus changing litres into gallons you can then work back

Plus you would have to change your miles into km if you did it your way?
Reply 18
Why would I count in miles? I drive on the right (read: correct) side anyway :wink: :wink:

Well most of the time, unless I happened to mistake a two-way street for a one-way street eh.
Reply 19
HJV
Why would I count in miles? I drive on the right (read: correct) side anyway :wink: :wink:

Haha!

Ah your way would make more sense then, for you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest