The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Room Decoration At University Thread

After searching around on the internet for a little while I have come to conclude that there's no resource out there for helping students decorate their rooms within the limitations of the rules. Also, as students we have budgets.

I thought it would be interesting for people to post pictures of what creative things they've done with their confined space, and for people to post advice about where's good to buy.

I for one am in desperate need of decorating my room at uni, getting a new duvet, pillows, covers for both (twice), a rug and various other decorations. I have absolutely no idea on where to get a decent duvet without spending like £60 at John Lewis.

Everybody contribute as much as you can, I will post a photo of my room once it's finished!

Scroll to see replies

My sister got a nice-looking duvet cover from Primark, so it's worth checking out if there's one near you :smile:

As for my room, it's full of posters, photos and concert tickets :biggrin:
Ive got rugs from Ikea, posters on the walls, killer speakers, a lava lamp, a plant, nice curtains, and matching duvet/sheets/pillow cases etc to spruce up my room
Reply 3
http://www.supernice.co.uk/product.php/360/23/wee-gallery-jungle/dcd0cf53296f4054be5f64438bcccacd

Supernice wall peely sticker things. They are awesome and don't leave a mark at all.
Thats just an example of them, if you look more at the site there are ones more suitable to adults etc.
Reply 4
ive cut out brightly coloured stars and stuck them around my pictures/desk
Reply 5
Be a typical student. Nick a traffic cone.
Reply 6
amy.dd
http://www.supernice.co.uk/product.php/360/23/wee-gallery-jungle/dcd0cf53296f4054be5f64438bcccacd

Supernice wall peely sticker things. They are awesome and don't leave a mark at all.
Thats just an example of them, if you look more at the site there are ones more suitable to adults etc.

Yay they do the Blik designs and threadless ones too! :biggrin: I always wanted to get them but seeing as blik was based in the US, it would have been expensive.

Do they really just peel off the wall once you're done with them?

You'll get rep for this too :smile:
Buy loads of cheap scarves or whatever (personally I have the huge lenths of random material that I got in the Souk in Bahrain, where I lived, before going to boarding school). They cover up bits of wall nicely, plus the nasty desk!
Reply 8
i'm just filling my room up with the flyers that the shove under your door, the posters advertising clubs that they leave around. I've put up plenty of photos and I bought 3 posters for 10 £ from hmv. Now I'm looking to buy some fairy lights. I'm planning on covering a wall or maybe the ceiling with coloured scarves/material.
As for the duvet covers I got mine from ikea, which is hard when you live in a city. Try Primark as someone suggested or bhs or tkmaxx or even next if it's big enough.
If not buy cheap ones online. It is worth it because duvet covers really make the room so much brighter
Reply 9
La Trampa
Yay they do the Blik designs and threadless ones too! :biggrin: I always wanted to get them but seeing as blik was based in the US, it would have been expensive.

Do they really just peel off the wall once you're done with them?

You'll get rep for this too :smile:

There are different types. I have reusable ones which do. My friend has another type and hers just came off really easily and didn't leave a mark.

They are gonna come in handy now Im at uni and probably won't be living in a house which is my own for many years (especially with this credit crunch business)!!
Reply 10
This is a good thread! Looking forward to some nice ideas, at the moment my room is a dump.. i need to tidy then find a load of posters and get a load of other ideas! :smile:
Reply 11
i got a lot of storage boxes that look a bit like this but in black to keep my bits and bobs in. I thought they looked a bit plain and boring though, so I took all the metal parts off, covered them in wrapping paper, then put it all back together. Tidy and pretty :smile:
amy.dd

wow, there are some absolutely gorgeous ones on there! When I go uni, I think i'll look at getting some of them :biggrin:
Reply 13
amy.dd

Those are cool!
Reply 14
I made a paper chain out of a load of receipts... and it's growing.
Reply 15
Dunnes Stores sell nice things for the home, as do Primark..just cool little bits and bobs! Then there's IKEA and Dunelm, God only knows what my uni room will look like, I suspect I won't be able to move as my room will be covered in clothes/makeup/perfume - oh dear!
i've bought a couple of plants for my room, it sounds sad but they look great. it's worth spending 7/8 quid for a plant in a nice plant thats going to last a long time rather than a couple of quid on one thats only going to last a week :smile:
I just havee the free posters from freshers fair. A nice MAX PAYNE one, A fire safety one, and one for one of the freshers events.
Reply 18
Ive got some pics from home up on the wardrobe and dotted around the room in frames, a poster of the Manhattan skyline...then just random flyers and stuff ive got while being at uni up on my pinboard.
Reply 19
I haven't made my room all nice and homely yet. I really want some fairy lights, though I fear they may be banned. :awesome:

Quick Reply