The Student Room Group

Jazz Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Eclectic Styles
The way this society is headed, it should be renamed the `Trad Jazz Society`...

Come on, where are the Contemporay lovers, the Acid freaksters, Smooth listeners, Crossover adaptators, Nu movers, Cool cats and so on?

Jazz is one genre I have yet to get into, I really only know of Miles David and John Coltrane so if people want to name some good albums I'll get them. :yep:
AliciaJ703
Post your suggestions :top:

Gonna list some suggestions from my collections (to give you an idea of the genres):

Contemporay: Diana Krall, Melody Gardot
Crossover: Jamie Cullum (also seen as Contemporay, especially early on in his career), Norah Jones
Acid: D'Sound, Count Basic
Smooth: Norman Brown, Steve Oliver
Nu: Hamel, Ronny Jordan (is also seen as Acid)
Cool: Theo Travis, Michael Brecker

And there's loads more, but there's some examples. I can provide a couple of examples, if anyone wants?
Eclectic Styles
Gonna list some suggestions from my collections (to give you an idea of the genres):

Contemporay: Diana Krall, Melody Gardot
Crossover: Jamie Cullum (also seen as Contemporay, especially early on in his career), Norah Jones
Acid: D'Sound, Count Basic
Smooth: Norman Brown, Steve Oliver
Nu: Hamel, Ronny Jordan (is also seen as Acid)
Cool: Theo Travis, Michael Brecker

And there's loads more, but there's some examples. I can provide a couple of examples, if anyone wants?

I like Jamie Cullum and I pretty much own all of Norah Jones' albums, especially, Come Away With Me.

Daddy-o your selections got moxy. :p:
Favourite style of Jazz?
Devel
Jazz is one genre I have yet to get into, I really only know of Miles David and John Coltrane so if people want to name some good albums I'll get them. :yep:

Check my post to Alicia.

Also, it is important to note that it does take quite a while to `get into` Jazz. The mindset is totally different to almost all over forms of music. It can take a few months before you start to understand the basics of it. It'll take several more months to a year to become acquianted with the various artists and key players in it's movement.

It will take years, though, before you can `understand` it. I mean, I don't fully yet, I've only been listening to it for the last half-a-dozen years or so as a regular `thing`. It does take time to start to grasp it's style and intracasies. Stuff like Pop, Rap, Metal, Indie, Rock and all that can be understood quite quickly. One reason being because all of them are derrived (apart from Rock, which is derived from Blues and then Metal off of Rock and then Indie from Rock as well) from.

And if you do end up listening to it regularly, then good for you. It doesn't necessarily make you and elitist or more `cultured` than others, though than can sometimes be hard to argue, given the `rigidness` of more modern styles and genres of music...
AliciaJ703
I like Jamie Cullum and I pretty much own all of Norah Jones' albums, especially, Come Away With Me.

Daddy-o your selections got moxy. :p:

Stylin' girl, this minnie minx is a cool cat, describe it to me, yeah...
Stricof
Favourite style of Jazz?

Yours?
Eclectic Styles
Stylin' girl, this minnie minx is a cool cat, describe it to me, yeah...

:biggrin: Attaboy! :p: My Jazz slang is poor.
veronica111
Personally, I'm not really into all that instrumental jazz, but I'm a SUCKER for the old female jazz singers, their voices are just incredible. Eg. Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, Diana Krall, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan etc etc, but I've kind of gone through most of their stuff now... so I want to find a good modern jazz singer, anyone no any?

Try Melody Gardot - she is amazing.
Reply 29
I'm really like fusion. Love Allan Holdsworth and Chick Corea. Also love the new 'fusion metal' stuff coming out. Lye By Mistake, Exivious, 1980 etc. Oh I also love Shawn Lane, and especially Jonas Hellborg's stuff. Art Metal is an amazing album.

Also really into mathcore, and some bands from said genre just launch into full blown jazz fusion at times.

Any recommendations? I always love finding new music :smile:
Right, this thread is dead.

OP, if you want a Society to stand on it's two feet, you need to actively post on it and ask potential members questions and such. Give us a reason to want to participate in it or be a member.

Otherwise, you should have just made the thread with the title `Anyone here like Jazz` or somesuch...
Reply 31
Well its not really dead....
All wet ES, the Jazz Society isn't taking any wooden nickels just posting what feels right Daddy - o

Let's also discuss if it's alright Cool Cats hip to the jive movies about Jazz or featuring Jazz...I'll start off with the classic

Mo' Better Blues

Does anyone here like Michael Brecker

Eclectic Styles
Right, this thread is dead.
OP, if you want a Society to stand on it's two feet, you need to actively post on it and ask potential members questions and such. Give us a reason to want to participate in it or be a member.
Otherwise, you should have just made the thread with the title `Anyone here like Jazz` or somesuch...
Yeah, sorry. My internet has been rather dead this week.
But I don't ask you to participate or be a member for any other reason but to share interests in Jazz.
AliciaJ703

Daddy-o your selections got moxy.
I pretty much own every Norah Jones album :h:
Favourite Cullum album?
Stricof
Does anyone here like Michael Brecker

I haven't heard of Michael Brecker but this is definitely on the level. :yep:
Stricof
I pretty much own every Norah Jones album :h:
Favourite Cullum album?

All At Sea
AliciaJ703
All At Sea